Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 03:03 PM

218 posts, read 342,230 times

Advertisements

Now we all know the eastern half of the state has a large Hispanic population, especially Puerto Ricans. With a large number in the Philadelphia area, and even in smaller cities like Allentown, Reading, Lancaster, Harrisburg, York, Scranton, and Hazelton to name a few. While the western part of the state seems like the opposite, with few Hispanics. I think its only a matter of time before Western PA gets hit wit the same Hispanic migration wave as Eastern PA, tho to a much lesser degree. Is there already sizable numbers of Hispanics in the metropolitan areas of Pittsburgh and Erie? If so, what neighborhoods are u most likely to find them? Im sure there are some neighborhoods in both metro areas that are atleast 10-15% Hispanic and growing, where they at???

Last edited by phillydominican; 12-27-2015 at 03:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 04:00 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
In Pittsburgh, Beechview would seem the likely candidate for highest % of Mexicans/Central Americans.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:03 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydominican View Post
If so, what neighborhoods are u most likely to find them? Im sure there are some neighborhoods in both metro areas that are atleast 10-15% Hispanic and growing, where they at???
Sammy "The Who Can Mexican" hails from Monessen, and there is a Spanish Club in Donora. Maybe in the mid-Mon Valley area, you'll see a fair concentration.

But I suspect that the future waves of hispanic immigrants will be dispersed

Old 12-27-2015, 06:26 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Beechview was only around 6% Hispanic in 2010, but it was still the highest in the city - the county too, for that matter. I'm sure it's a bit higher today, but I don't think the amount has taken off dramatically.

In the close to eleven years I've lived here, the amount of Latinos has gone up considerably though. I used to go days without seeing anyone who was Hispanic (discounting a few friends/acquaintances), but now I see Hispanic people pretty frequently. I just don't think there is a really strong geographic concentration.

Elsewhere in Western Pennsylvania, I think Erie is the only place with any population to speak of. In 2010 it was 7% Hispanic. Erie doesn't have a Hispanic neighborhood, but there are a bunch of census tracts which are over 10% Hispanic, and one which was around 17% Hispanic. I don't think the local community there is dominated by any one nationality. You should check in the general Pennsylvania forum for more details.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:53 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
I doubt they or any other ethnic group will move here. The economy is only average with a high COL. The reason for the growth in the east part of the state is proximity to major cities that have much stronger job markets than Western PA.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:10 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,415,461 times
Donora (technically speaking) has a small population of folks with Spanish (as in Spain) roots. So far in the Mon Valley, Charleroi seems to be the concentration point for those from South America.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:31 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
I saw Monessen's Vasquez on TV, the announcers made note of the non-standard way Vasquez pronounced his name "Vas-kwezz", which differs from the standard pronunciation in espanol.

I spoke with a hispanic gentleman from Elizabeth Twp. a number of years ago who pronounced his own name "Jiminez" with a soft "j" sound like you'd hear in the word "gym".

I don't know enough hispanics nor enough about Spanish to know, but is there a Spanish version of "Pittsburghese", where Pittsburgh area Spanish have their own way of speaking their own language.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:54 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
There are quite a few Latinos in the Mt. Oliver/Carrick area now. Most seem to be from Central America. Because there are so few Puerto Ricans, and Dominicans in Pittsburgh, there is a tendency for all but the really white ones to blend into the black community. Caribbean Latinos are much more likely to be tri-racial, as opposed to the Mestizos, and heavily native populations of Mexico, and Central America. As there is no shortage of blacks with substantial European ancestry, it's pretty easy for many Hispanics with Caribbean roots to blend in.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:21 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
There are quite a few Latinos in the Mt. Oliver/Carrick area now. Most seem to be from Central America. Because there are so few Puerto Ricans, and Dominicans in Pittsburgh, there is a tendency for all but the really white ones to blend into the black community. Caribbean Latinos are much more likely to be tri-racial, as opposed to the Mestizos, and heavily native populations of Mexico, and Central America. As there is no shortage of blacks with substantial European ancestry, it's pretty easy for many Hispanics with Caribbean roots to blend in.
I grew up with last names like Gomez, Rodriguez, and so on. Most of the latino's I grew up with either had parents or grandparents that were Cuban, Dominican or Puerto Rican. Most if not all of them identified as black and were treated as such.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:01 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I grew up with last names like Gomez, Rodriguez, and so on. Most of the latino's I grew up with either had parents or grandparents that were Cuban, Dominican or Puerto Rican. Most if not all of them identified as black and were treated as such.
SF : Social Forces
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh