Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 06:05 PM

3,297 posts, read 3,856,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Even Philly COL is soaring from the amount of NYC refugees filling up that city... Pittsburgh politics need to be careful not to let Gentrfication make this city as Unaffordable as the Coasts.

Too late. That started a couple years ago. For instance, rental amounts are insane for the size of city we live in. Housing prices are high in nice neighborhoods. People really have to take a step down to find affordable living. I got lucky. I keep waiting for the landlord to kick my rent up 20%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 06:10 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,201,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
But do people want to live there? Not really. Gentrification has made the decent neighborhoods unattainable for the average resident. The reason why there are more and more people leaving for other counties.
"Hot" neighborhoods may be unattainable for the average residents, but there are a lot of decent, attractive neighborhoods with real estate that is popularly priced.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:31 PM

3,297 posts, read 3,856,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
"Hot" neighborhoods may be unattainable for the average residents, but there are a lot of decent, attractive neighborhoods with real estate that is popularly priced.
As I said, I am meeting more and more younger people relocating to the outlying counties. Their reasons are safety, space, and a higher quality of living for the price. One side effect of Pittsburgh's revitalization is the wealth is spreading. Western PA is loaded with walkable towns. The cities are revitalizing their downtowns and offering what Pittsburgh has on a smaller scale. It's very attractive to people who are priced out of the city.

Maybe Pittsburgh is turning into a 'Cleveland' where the suburbs are better than the city core.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:36 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,201,334 times
Quote:
As I said, I am meeting more and more younger people relocating to the outlying counties. .

A lot of towns within Allegheny that are pretty nice as well as decently priced too. I hope that some of these younger people are taking a look at towns like Breckenridge- I was just up there a couple of weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:54 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,892,965 times
Quote:
As I said, I am meeting more and more younger people relocating to the outlying counties. Their reasons are safety, space, and a higher quality of living for the price. One side effect of Pittsburgh's revitalization is the wealth is spreading. Western PA is loaded with walkable towns. The cities are revitalizing their downtowns and offering what Pittsburgh has on a smaller scale. It's very attractive to people who are priced out of the city.

Maybe Pittsburgh is turning into a 'Cleveland' where the suburbs are better than the city core.
Strangely enough, I know of more and more people wanting to move into the city, and doing it as soon as they get a chance. So my anecdotal cancels out your anecdotal.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:14 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,446,783 times
Quote:
pittsburgh has been this way since at least the mid 80's. the suburbs dominated through the 90's and early 2000's while the city core was in a nosedive. Only in the past 7-10 years has the city really became popular to live again. Its not just popular but its actually trendy, in demand, hot all around. Some suburbs are thriving but a good bit of first ring suburbs are actually trending down.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:37 PM

14,360 posts, read 16,875,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
pittsburgh has been this way since at least the mid 80's. the suburbs dominated through the 90's and early 2000's while the city core was in a nosedive. Only in the past 7-10 years has the city really became popular to live again. Its not just popular but its actually trendy, in demand, hot all around. Some suburbs are thriving but a good bit of first ring suburbs are actually trending down.
This may be true to some extent - not being from Pittsburgh originally I can't speak to it. But Pittsburgh is very anomalous for a rust belt city in that white flight was pretty minor here, and we retained a core area of wealth in the city (Squirrel Hill) even through the worst of times.

Honestly I think the relatively minimal white flight is part of why Pittsburgh has become so "hot" as a city to relocate to. Studies have repeatedly found one of the strongest indicators of an urban neighborhood with the potential to gentrify is if it doesn't have that many black people (less than 40% typically). With the exception of DC, all of the hip, trendy cities in the country are pretty heavily white - or at least if they are minority-majority, have more Asians/Latinos than blacks.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:56 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,498,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
Which first ring suburbs are "trending down' ?

Old 12-31-2015, 02:01 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,622,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
It's not just NYC. I have noticed a lot of people from the west coast arriving here lately.
I'm one of them. I moved here from San Francisco three years ago. A house down the street from me just sold to people from Portland, Oregon. My next door neighbor moved here from San Diego within the last five years or so.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:10 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,622,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
How much of a paycut do you expect working in Pittsburgh? The median household income in DC is about $34k more than in Pittsburgh. Housing costs here are significantly lower, but transportation costs in DC are actually lower, and with more options.
I'm from San Francisco. Housing prices here are roughly 85% lower. Even with high property taxes and lower wages, it's pretty hard to beat the savings you see in housing for those of us fleeing $1.2 million median home prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh