Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 04:23 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,378,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Unfortunately many of those responsible for the violence in the red areas are directly, monetarily supported by some residents in the 'safe zone'
How so? One could easily make an argument for the other way around...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 05:42 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post

It sickens me that is seems like any time there is a disagreement these days someone is shot. Geez, what happened to people and value of life at all?

A large number of the disagreements that result in shootings are disagreements as payment for or quality of drug purchases or disputes about sales territories for the same.

Since taking it to the courts is out of the question, and there are no respected criminal godfathers to have a sit-down with over the issues, violence seem to be the only way to resolve the matters.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:55 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
How so? One could easily make an argument for the other way around...
It was specifically thinking of the recent episode of Drugs Inc in pittsburgh that chronicled some drug dealers living on the southern hilltops remarking many of their customers were wealthier east end residents.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:39 AM

Sad & morbid thing to say, but called it: Gunman opens fire on car in Marshall-Shadeland, killing 1...
Quote:
"Shootings & shots fired are rampant on the North Side... Allegheny Dwellings, Northview Heights Estates, North Charles Street [in the Charles Street Valley area of Perry Hilltop] & Southwest Brighton Heights...
Hostility is growing in Cal-bride Place area of California-Kirkbride, the Allegheny Commons East Apts, what's left of "Hoodtown" in Central Northside and a certain section of Marshall-Shadeland to a lesser extent. Retaliation can only be expected soon or later in Upper Manchester, Perry Hilltop and most of Marshall-Shadeland. Ironically Deutschtown/Allegheny Center (Lower North Side) has a lesser chance of spill over Observatory Hill/Brighton Heights (Upper North Side) these days.
Just in the last couple days on the North Side.
Man shot in Fineview, flips car, dies in hospital
JUVENILE SHOT IN PERRY SOUTH
JUVENILES ARRESTED IN CONNECTION WITH SHOTS FIRED INVESTIGATION
EAST ALLEGHENY SHOOTING UNDER INVESTIGATION
UPDATE: POLICE SEARCHING FOR OCCUPANTS OF 2 CARS FIRING GUNS IN ZONE 1"
Since January there have been a string of presumably connected, gang-related North Side shootings/murders (and one in Sheraden) between low income neighborhoods which have groups of dope dealers/troubled youth engaging in violent relations (on and off) for slightly over 26 years.

These factions clashed last year at Pittsburgh Public High Schools like Perry Traditional Academy, but now it seems youth are at the point of shootings... Along with that, in 2015 there were two gang related murders in Manchester, one Manchester man was murdered in spilled over outside a house in McKees Rocks, along with 6-7 unrelated gang member involved killings in Marshall-Shadeland & Perry Hilltop that are still mostly unsolved.

In 2014 there were several gang-related & gang involved murders in Northview Heights (and non fatal shootings in the other Crip claimed neighborhoods as well). Early there were shootings again in Manchester, Wilson Avenue, Shadeland Avenue & Woodland Street.

2013-2009 shootings continued in the same neighborhoods with noteworthy spikes during each summer- the exception was only one short lived, informal ceasefire during 2011... The youngest victim during this span was: a five year old boy shot fatally in the living room (sitting near to an older teenage boy who was non fatally wounded) in Northview Heights.

2008 alone - Over 10 homicides occurred in under 6 neighborhoods in the North Side, including one where a gang members girlfriend was murdered in Hoodtown (Central Northside) and one where a 12 year old girl was fatally shot and mother non fatally shot because of the brother/son's gang affiliation (who was later murdered in 2011 & the mom was shot again in 2600 Perry Hilltop) on Brightridge Street.
2007- Drive-bys and gang-related killings left 6 dead in Hoodtown (Central Northside), North Charles Street, Brighton Place & Morrison Street.
2007-2017 (and beyond) violence mirrors the violence that occurred from 1997-2007 and even 1987-1997.

The man thing that is changing is that violence is decreasing-no longer present in the Lower North Side neighborhoods: Alleheny Center (other than AGH Commons East Apts), Allegheny West, Central Northside (Mexican War Streets & Hoodtown's edges: Brighton Rd-Monterey Street, Jacksonia St, Federal Street) & West Deutschtown. Pockets of Lower Manchester, the core streets of "Hoodtown", East Deutschtown & southern most Tory Hill (to a notable lesser extent) still need to clean up, but have a tremendously bright future. Once they clean up: California-Kirkbride, parts of Perry Hilltop, Upper Manchester and Allegheny Dwellings in Fineview, will potentially see more redevelopment, demographics change via gentrification and economic revitalization.
However, gangs/violence has taken hold in Marshall-Shadeland and are likely next to spread into Southwestern Brighton Heights and scattered parts of Observatory Hill
Over the last 5-10 years the violence has spilled over to Downtown/the Strip District, along with increasingly in: rough parts of Sheraden, McKees Rocks and other rough spots from the West End-Stowe Rocks area (as the Lower North Side's gentrification has moved families also out to the West).

Throughout the nation, as the 1990's babies-turned drug dealing/gang bangers are finding the same trouble as previous generations/era's gang activity & the heroin resurgence epidemic violence are on the rise. In Pittsburgh its been since 2014. More homicides are going unsolved, more Pittsburgh Police Department Officers are resigning, more schools with youth from rival neighborhoods are closing, gangs are now teaming up from the North Side-West End/Stowe Rocks-Hill District-Southern Hilltop-Zone 5/Wilkinsburg/Eastern Suburbs-Hazelwood/Glen Hazel/Homestead-upper Mon Valley, the Shuman and youth centers are having more trouble, etc are setting up for a rough next couple of years.

Last edited by Uptown kid; 04-07-2016 at 07:05 AM..

Old 04-07-2016, 06:52 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Here's a facebook post with more info about the victim. This doesn't look like the typical gang feud murder to me - the victim was older, had a child he was involved with raising, and wasn't black. He apparently had pretty deep roots in the North Side, however, judging by the comments. I think I've seen him before actually - or at least a random Asian guy who hung out at black parties in Allegheny Commons.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:29 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,337 times
I thought the same when I heard his Asian name this AM on the radio. But he wouldn't have been targeted like that for no reason. I am so sick of this.

Old 04-07-2016, 07:57 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
But he wouldn't have been targeted like that for no reason.
Never know. It isn't like people don't make mistakes. Maybe this one was random. Hard to say.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:03 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
As an aside, I saw this article this morning. The city of Richmond, California has been able to reduce murder rates by 76% over five years. The system the use is to designate the most at-risk youth as "fellows" and pay them money as long as they stay on the straight and narrow. Seems to have had good results.

Old 04-07-2016, 08:55 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
I am no detective
Seriously, have you given any though to working in law enforcement?

Old 04-07-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Seriously, have you given any though to working in law enforcement?
Nope, I over time its developed, but my purpose has no place in law enforcement. I just hope the information I've place on the internet can help bring awareness to things that plague the same impoverished black areas in the 412 without putting me in harms way. Online news is starting to take notice of what I say... Or at least you can know what I say is true as what they say in their more analysis type of articles corresponds with what I've been saying for years. Plus there was a small independent documentary groups which has reproduced my information (along with the Bloccs, Projects & Entertainment- local inner city Pittsburgh Documentary). When I first started blogging on the forum, I thought one day Nat Geo's Drugs Inc. and Taboo gang specials or History Chanel's Gangland will contact me for a visit, but those shows are off air. All though I would love to see myself as part of a solution. What cops do to black people is empirically shown to be part of the problem even though its civic duty.

I myself like most other grounded black people, would rather rehab Homewood North's Crips, Chauncey Drive's Bloods, Manchester's Original Gangsters, Greenway's Convictz or Larimer/Wilkinsburg's Hoods, than to put them in jail only to be replaced by their younger cousins, little brothers and even sons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh