Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2016, 12:27 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,300 times

Advertisements

Ok, I decided to revisit Pittsburgh a while ago. Wizard World bought up some Comicons across the county including Pittsburgh, so this was their first time in Pittsburgh.

Comicon gets bigger with Wizard World running show | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Might be a good thing as Wizard World signs up stars and they make the rounds of the various comicons. So Pittsburgh can get even bigger celebrities. What I did like about Dragon Con in Atlanta was the various goth-like bands such as Cruxshadows. Music can help give a place an atmosphere.

I though Wizard World went well. What I really liked was there were no lines and getting in to see any panel was not a problem. I had just visited Atlanta’s Dragon Con and with an estimated attendance of 65,000 people, housed over 5 hotels, it was a nightmare. They have more Programming and more Cosplayers, but seeing panels or stars was a space problem. No idea how many attended Wizard World Pittsburgh but past numbers listed was 10,000.

None of the actor panels commented on Pittsburgh. The closest was by Adam Baldwin who said he saw a great game at PNC.

David L Lawrence Conference Center
What a cool place. Easily managed Wizard World with space to spare. I especially liked the walkway down to the river with the surrounding waterfalls and the big window views of the river. Maybe a band playing in the lobby areas might enhance the experience.

Downtown
Looks like Pittsburgh is coming along with downtown living. Lots of stores at street level and the Strip is a gem. There ought to be a push to convert the Produce Terminal Market into an indoor version of what is on the Strip. Much like Seattle’s Pike Place.

Too bad about Macy’s closing. If what to do with the space is still up-in-the-air, I’d suggest what Portland and Minneapolis have…a downtown Super Target. Maybe they’d agree to continue the Tic-Toc restaurant and Arcade bakery.

Pittsburgh should not only push for preservation but also maintenance of a way-of-life that is uniquely Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh has so much character that it would be a great selling point for livability. Europe’s does this and it makes their places so charming. Pittsburgh is very walkable and quite frankly, a lot of the new rising cities would just kill to have what Pittsburgh has in form of amenities and architecture. So don’t be so quick with the wrecking ball thinking it means progress. Keep the Produce Terminal intact. If you must, punch holes in it or tunnel under rather than tear down a third of it!

Primanti’s
Tried Primanti’s for the first time. Went to the Strip to get the authentic experience. I liked the sandwich and the place felt like it was locked in time. What I would have seen during Pittsburgh’s more blue collar past, which is great.

Penn Brewery
Not easy to find but worth the trip. Much prefer German style beers to American. It also has a restaurant with food that goes well with the beer.

Aviary
Wow, a must see for any visitor. Especially the shows where the birds are flying over the audience. I’m surprised that there aren’t more aviaries around the country. Pittsburgh should talk up the Aviary more.

Duquesne Incline
Despite having lived there, until now, I have never gone up the incline. Glad that Duquesne was not the one being renovated as it is probably the better of the two. Photos don’t do the view justice. Pretty breathtaking when you walk out on the observation platform. No wonder it has been named by National Geographic as among the best views in the country.

The summit was a bit disappointing. Other than the view, the spot has so much potential and I don’t think Pittsburgh is taking full advantage of it. A few restaurants with one with a plank noting that Clinton and Prime Minister Majors had a summit meeting there. Saw one closed former restaurant in an excellent spot for sale. Surprised that it hasn’t been snapped up yet as well as the vacant lot beside it. During the pollution years Mount Washington wasn’t so hot but is certainly should be now.

Wondered if the face of Mount Washington is climbable. After going up the incline, I don’t think so, or a least it would not be easy. Very steep hill with sheer drops here and there. You’d have to plan you climb carefully to avoid those cliffs.

Station Square
Had a few meals at the Hard Rock. They can make some pretty good steaks. According to one tour I took, it is the smallest Hard Rock in the world. Pretty easy to get a table except on Saturday night. Station Square was pretty quiet so maybe the free zone for the T should include Station Square.

Tours
Obviously the Gateway Clipper was a must as it gives a relaxing view of the city and its rivers. There is a white house down the Ohio on a hill that has a fantastic vantage point for a view of downtown. “Just Ducky” tours was a hoot as they hire actors to do the tours and they are very lively and animated. I was a bit apprehensive about going in the river as the vehicle was WWII vintage, but the vehicle still floated fine. Like to take one of the longer cruises on the Gateway Clipper and the Segway tour.

Needed
What does Pittsburgh need? I like the T so I’d like to see it expanded, especially out to the airport. A sure sign of a developed and sophisticated city is a subway connection to the airport. Also a plan to renovate and a way-of-life preservation that keeps Pittsburgh’s character and charm. Hate to see downtown Macy’s go as it represents a by-gone era, but a Target in its place would be good. And try and keep those stand alone businesses going….somehow. It would be nice to turn the big parcel of land between the Produce Terminal and the river into some sort of Public Square with street performers like you have in Europe but I just don’t know it has enough ability to draw. Mellon Square has such a draw but it’s a bit small. There is a movement to make a Hostel on the South Side but maybe it’s stalled because nothing more seems to be happening.

Life downtown seems to be gradually growing. It could use some more hotels and perhaps develop those upper floors of some buildings into apartments and condos. Funny thing is that Downtown is so small, compact, and unique that with just a little bit of knowledge of what’s downtown, you’ll never get lost. Buildings, the hills, and the rivers help reorient yourself.

I’ve revisited Pittsburgh twice and there’s still a lot to do. I might make it an annual visit. Have to watch more of Sebak to find some of those hidden gems of the city. Annual visits will include Primanti’s and Penn Brewery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 02:09 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Don't worry about the Produce Terminal building. It's not going anywhere, although it does need to be gutted as the electrical, plumbing and HVAC are all well below standard for legitimate use for either a restaurant or a market (and a decent likelihood that building gets both).

Next time you're back, there are much better steak options. I'm somewhat surprised the HRC actually still draws people.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:12 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
There are plans for the Kaufmann's/Macy*s building. The developer that bought the building is planning apartments, a hotel, parking, and retail. They haven't announced the retail component, yet, but it is to be two floors. Would be great if it were a Target.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:59 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post

Duquesne Incline
Despite having lived there, until now, I have never gone up the incline. Glad that Duquesne was not the one being renovated as it is probably the better of the two. Photos don’t do the view justice. Pretty breathtaking when you walk out on the observation platform. No wonder it has been named by National Geographic as among the best views in the country.

The summit was a bit disappointing. Other than the view, the spot has so much potential and I don’t think Pittsburgh is taking full advantage of it. A few restaurants with one with a plank noting that Clinton and Prime Minister Majors had a summit meeting there. Saw one closed former restaurant in an excellent spot for sale. Surprised that it hasn’t been snapped up yet as well as the vacant lot beside it. During the pollution years Mount Washington wasn’t so hot but is certainly should be now.
there is quite a bit more going on at the top of the Mon incline. Shiloh street has a decent bit of restaurants and bars, a bakery, wine and spirits, ice cream, coffee, etc. The views are similar but probably a slight bit better on the ride up and down the duquesne incline. However, being that you can actually go do something at both the top and bottom of the Mon, I dont see why anyone would choose to ride the duquesne one unless they had dinner plans at monterey bay or altius.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:21 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
I think the hotel situation downtown is pretty much covered - there have been about 5 new hotels that have opened within the past few years, with plans for at least two more.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:25 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Wondered if the face of Mount Washington is climbable. After going up the incline, I don’t think so, or a least it would not be easy. Very steep hill with sheer drops here and there.
No need to climb Mount Washington there are stairs you can take if you're so inclined.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:08 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
No need to climb Mount Washington there are stairs you can take if you're so inclined.
Play on words?

Old 01-19-2016, 08:13 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
There's no need if you're sober. Alcohol creates its own needs.

Woman falls asleep after scaling incline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh