Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 02:00 PM

255 posts, read 283,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Paper still beats a tablet while doing a Sudoku or crossword in the bathroom.
Tablet or phone is far superior than paper for Sudoku. Sudoku games allow you to put in easy to read notes, which makes it a lot easier to play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 04:24 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,958,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCom View Post
Tablet or phone is far superior than paper for Sudoku. Sudoku games allow you to put in easy to read notes, which makes it a lot easier to play.
If you insist on using marks and notes, sure

And puzzles need to be done in ink. No erasing.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:54 PM

22,341 posts, read 47,322,635 times
Sudoku notes?
Nah.

And I agree, crosswords puzzles are always done in ink!

Old 01-27-2016, 04:56 PM

10,305 posts, read 10,556,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters1 View Post
Anybody know why the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette or Greensburg newspaper is no longer delivered to Fayette County? We are left out and the local paper (Herald Standard) here is terrible. In fact, used to be that triblive on the web had news for Fayette County, now it's almost all left out. We can't even get the Post-Gazette delivered here except on Sunday. This just started a few weeks ago, the Trib from Greensburg was a great paper, my husband would get it for the sports and I'd wind up reading the rest of it! Now there's nothing. WHY? My husband doesn't want to move to Greensburg or Pittsburgh to get a better paper. sigh.
A couple reasons I can think of:

1. They did a marketing survey and found that not enough people could read so there weren't that many potential customers.

2. They found people in Fayette County are tired of reading about all the crime in Fayette County so they stopped buying newspapers.

Signed,
Former Connellsville Coker

Old 01-30-2016, 08:04 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,404,035 times
The newspaper, or "yesterday's news today" as we called it in radio, is there for one reason, to make money for the owners. If a certain area doesn't provide enough subscribers to impress potential advertisers then that area is simply abandoned more or less.

It's all numbers and nothing more.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:05 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,477,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
A couple reasons I can think of:

1. They did a marketing survey and found that not enough people could read so there weren't that many potential customers.

2. They found people in Fayette County are tired of reading about all the crime in Fayette County so they stopped buying newspapers.

Signed,
Former Connellsville Coker
Fayette Nam, baby!

Old 02-01-2016, 09:01 PM

48 posts, read 49,050 times
I'm using my android phone and internet all the time. But I still like "most," (not all) newspapers, and I really did like a lot the Greensburg Tribune that came out here. Pittsburgh Gazette was second best, I did not like the type face of the PG, but I could deal with it. Oh well, Fayette County is just out of the loop.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:05 PM

48 posts, read 49,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
The newspaper, or "yesterday's news today" as we called it in radio, is there for one reason, to make money for the owners. If a certain area doesn't provide enough subscribers to impress potential advertisers then that area is simply abandoned more or less.

It's all numbers and nothing more.
I kind of figured, but it's very annoying. Especially when I enjoyed the newspaper so much. The internet and radio do not compare. Although, thank goodness I get NPR from Morgantown here, don't get western PA news, but it's better than the junk radio out here. Can't get NPR from Pittsburgh in the house, I can get it on my radio, but anyway --. There is a local newspaper dealing with crime and stuff and silly little articles. Not worth reading except to see who's being arrested.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:26 PM

404 posts, read 453,227 times
I hope actual news papers make a comeback. I'm on the internet all the time but I still like reading an actual paper for the news.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:23 PM

10,305 posts, read 10,556,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksider2brooklyn View Post
I hope actual news papers make a comeback. I'm on the internet all the time but I still like reading an actual paper for the news.
Despite reading online newspapers and other news sources, I usually stop at a store and buy the Tribune Review. The Post-Gazette is too expensive and has very little local news. I do get it delivered on Sunday. I would miss it if newspapers disappeared. I figure I've been reading a newspaper almost daily for around 54 years and delivered the Connellsville Courier when it cost seven cents a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh