Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 03:27 PM

28 posts, read 22,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
Stealing liberally from Captain America -- I like the idea of an African American superhero, perhaps one whose origin story has shades of the Tuskegee experiments. The situation has left our hero with super powers, but a complex view of history and who he should be saving. Perhaps he returns to Pittsburgh after WWII and lives in a row house on the Hill, or perhaps Sugar Top. His super powers include delayed aging, so he lives through the destruction of the lower Hill, the MLK assassination and the ensuing riots, urban renewal, Big Steel collapse, etc. etc. He is occasionally called upon by the government to assist on various assignments. Throughout the story, we see our hero confront white bigots, and black on black violence. In the key development of the story, we see a villainous cabal track our hero to Pittsburgh, learn of his whereabouts, and try to eliminate him, in a battle that rages across several locales.

Sounds like an amazing story. We are already into ours.

You should write this and we could link worlds! Picksburgh hero universe.

We are, in ways, playing with an entity/person who doesn't age and lived through the last several hundred years--lives in Allegheny City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
One thing you might want to keep in mind for your comic...

A lot of the buildings in Oakland are interconnected by a network of underground tunnels. That's fertile material for nefarious shenanigans!

[runs off to look for maps]

Old 01-30-2016, 03:46 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,048,581 times
There has been some great suggestions for the Villain's lair, but I would add the Carrie Furnace site.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
There has been some great suggestions for the Villain's lair, but I would add the Carrie Furnace site.

My coauthor is writing a scene TODAY that happens in a version of Carrie Furnace. I'll make sure he swings through here to see your pictures.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:58 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,048,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Raymond View Post
My coauthor is writing a scene TODAY that happens in a version of Carrie Furnace. I'll make sure he swings through here to see your pictures.
Let me clarify, these are not my photos. There are no shortage of pictures of the Carrie Furnace site if you need any more reference pics.

Old 01-31-2016, 06:59 AM

807 posts, read 611,544 times
Quote:
Sounds like an amazing story. We are already into ours.

You should write this and we could link worlds! Picksburgh hero universe.

We are, in ways, playing with an entity/person who doesn't age and lived through the last several hundred years--lives in Allegheny City.

That sounds great -- lots to work with over the centuries.

To the universe, I'll also add the story of Ronnie Sobchak (Walter's third cousin) from The Run. In the middle of a three day bender, Ronnie wanders up Panther Hollow, through Schenley Park (perhaps "watering" some rare Phipps flowers on the way), only to end up in a "top secret" CMU lab. After downing a "high falutin" cocktail (actually enhanced biological cells harvested from an asteroid), Ronnie pasess out. When he wakes in the morning, Yinzerman is born. I'm not sure what Ronnie's "power" would be, but it might involve annoying people into submission with his super-charged Pittsburgh accent.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:41 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,878,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
When he wakes in the morning, Yinzerman is born. I'm not sure what Ronnie's "power" would be, but it might involve annoying people into submission with his super-charged Pittsburgh accent.
Being able to finish a case of Iron City in under 24 hours?

Old 01-31-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
Let me clarify, these are not my photos. There are no shortage of pictures of the Carrie Furnace site if you need any more reference pics.
Got it.

Thanks for sharing them, regardless.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:23 PM

Gene's made the story.

I am still trying to come up with the best bar/hang out for the heroes. Most of them work at Pitt... (but it doesn't have to be in Oakland).

My co-author and I are doing some location scouting (i.e. bar hopping) on Friday. Where would a group of super hero/adjunct faculty hang out?

Old 01-31-2016, 07:28 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,878,274 times
Quote:
Where would a group of super hero/adjunct faculty hang out?
University Club: https://uc.pitt.edu/fsc-overview/

Or somewhere on Craig - maybe Butterjoint/Legume on N Craig or somewhere on S Craig between Fifth and Forbes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh