Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 04:19 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,535,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
I totally get what you are saying. A number of years ago, when I was still "wet behind the ears" as a coach, I was interviewed to be the ninth grade boys' basketball coach at North Allegheny. When the AD called me to say that I did not get the job, he was very upfront and direct. He told me that the job was going to a person, who may not have had my BB background, but had been a grizzled veteran coach, who would be unfazed by the emotions and disappointments of the cuts needing to be made. He told me that he did not view me as being experienced enough to emotionally detach myself from the process of dwindling a list of 40+ former middle school BB athletes down to just 12 (the roster number set by the varsity coach). Looking back, I know that he was right....

Long story short, Copanut, if you played BB for North Allegheny and "rode the pine", you must have still been a very good player !
I wasn't that good, but I made the 1st string look great at practice. I played back in the days of George Karl and Billy Knight in the Eastern suburbs. I watched both of them...from the bench.

Being on a team is a great experience, but when the school is so large it's really tough to make it, just sheer numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 05:05 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettert View Post
Not really sure the distinction of diversity at Fox Chapel is widely accepted either. Seems to be on par with other wealthy districts.
I don't do the diversity = black people thing. I find that hilarious. Diversity is all about culture and in my family that means international, not just Americans with different skin tone. International is what you will find in FC because so many educators and doctors from other countries choose FC for their children due to proximity to where they work. It is the closest great school district to Oakland. Now that is real diversity, not the made up one.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:10 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
When did you go from 9 to 6 months?
State required 187 days times six [6] hours a day. Six [6] hours per day is the average between an 8 AM to 3 PM school day and an 8 AM to 4 PM school day, less the one [1] hour state required "off period," and allowing one half [1/2] hour for lunch. Non of the other non-instructional 'off' periods of time were considered, yet they are many. Things like five [5] minutes between classes and while all students are busy studying or testing. A teachers' students are often excused for pep rallys, plays, concerts and home games during school hours. These add up to considerable 'off' time. FC teachers average how much?

Old 02-01-2016, 05:18 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
State required 187 days times six [6] hours a day. Six [6] hours per day is the average between an 8 AM to 3 PM school day and an 8 AM to 4 PM school day, less the one [1] hour state required "off period," and allowing one half [1/2] hour for lunch. Non of the other non-instructional 'off' periods of time were considered, yet they are many. Things like five [5] minutes between classes and while all students are busy studying or testing. A teachers' students are often excused for pep rallys, plays, concerts and home games during school hours. These add up to considerable 'off' time. FC teachers average how much?
Not enough $$$, imo. It's becoming an extremely more difficult job.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:56 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,281,859 times
Quote:
Spend a day in a classroom and then you can complain about teachers being paid too much. Can't imagine what it is like in this day and age of entitle kids and parents. Not even taking into account how hard it is to get a teaching job in most districts.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:55 AM

831 posts, read 878,249 times
Quote:
Spend a day in a classroom and then you can complain about teachers being paid too much. Can't imagine what it is like in this day and age of entitle kids and parents. Not even taking into account how hard it is to get a teaching job in most districts.
I've always liked this quote:

Quote:
Education is the silver bullet. Education is everything. We don't need little changes, we need gigantic, monumental changes. Schools should be palaces. The competition for the best teachers should be fierce. They should be making six-figure salaries. Schools should be incredibly expensive for government and absolutely free of charge to its citizens, just like national defense.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:10 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,092 times
Quote:
The poster obviously has no idea what the job demands. And the numerous responses intending to set him straight haven't even mentioned the ever-increasing administrative work, special needs differentiation, lesson planning, and continuing-education demands placed on the public school teacher. These things require a full-year commitment.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:21 AM

14 posts, read 18,559 times
Well that went off on a tangent XD. Anyways, will we be one of the only "average" families in Hampton? I understand that there are a lot of houses of values within our budget, but do FAMILIES typically live in these types of houses? Or do almost all of the families with Hampton students live in the rich neighborhoods?

Old 02-02-2016, 08:34 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,954,119 times
Quote:
I don't do the diversity = black people thing. I find that hilarious. Diversity is all about culture and in my family that means international, not just Americans with different skin tone. International is what you will find in FC because so many educators and doctors from other countries choose FC for their children due to proximity to where they work. It is the closest great school district to Oakland. Now that is real diversity, not the made up one.
Are you intentionally disingenuous? The Fox Chapel schools are 7% Asian and 2% Latino. You've repeatedly stated that blacks don't count for diversity (that's called erasure, btw), but I don't think even you could call those fugue culturally diverse, to say nothing for the relative lack of socioeconomic diversity.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:40 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,914,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Yeah, you should really check out homes in the school districts first. That won't get you into Fox Chapel itself. Not sure about the other towns in the district.
Fox Chapel SD is a fantastic school district. The person claiming it's a inner city school has NO idea what a city school is.

180k will not get you a home in Fox Chapel or Aspinwall though. Maybe some areas of O'Hara township. I'd look in Blawnox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh