Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 01:05 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Yinz have been successfully trolled yet again by Mr. Spam.
Do you really consider the term co-ed trolling?

Old 02-11-2016, 02:02 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Do you really consider the term co-ed trolling?
I consider it trolling from Mr. Spam. He's very polite about it, but he pretty routinely posts using antiquated terminology such as calling women "dames" or "broads" or calling a married woman "the missus." He does so with the full knowledge that people have jumped down his throat for making such statements in the past.

If you post something deliberately provocative with the aim of eliciting a response, it is trolling, full stop. The point isn't whether or not the term is offensive, the point is the intent. I simply don't believe the OP's use of language could be anything but an artifice, since he's not a man who was thawed out from the 1940s.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I consider it trolling from Mr. Spam. He's very polite about it, but he pretty routinely posts using antiquated terminology such as calling women "dames" or "broads" or calling a married woman "the missus." He does so with the full knowledge that people have jumped down his throat for making such statements in the past.

If you post something deliberately provocative with the aim of eliciting a response, it is trolling, full stop. The point isn't whether or not the term is offensive, the point is the intent. I simply don't believe the OP's use of language could be anything but an artifice, since he's not a man who was thawed out from the 1940s.
Just curious as I don't find any of it an issue...but I'm often surprised at how extremely sensitive the world has become.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:14 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,498 times
Quote:

Ah. Yes, good point. My personal spam filter isn't all that great.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:21 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
Quote:
Just curious as I don't find any of it an issue...but I'm often surprised at how extremely sensitive the world has become.
And yet the world doesn't seem at all surprised about your insensitivity. Strange.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:25 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
You don't think of it as an issue, because as a man, the implication is that you are the default. The term "co-ed" could be seen as implying female students are the "other" when in fact female students are outnumbering male students on many campuses. And I doubt that newly enrolled male students at Chatham are called "co-eds".

Old 02-11-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You don't think of it as an issue, because as a man, the implication is that you are the default. The term "co-ed" could be seen as implying female students are the "other" when in fact female students are outnumbering male students on many campuses. And I doubt that newly enrolled male students at Chatham are called "co-eds".
As I said, I asked an actual co-ed, who was amused by it and couldn't care less. The responses here are from non-coeds who for some reason have issue with it.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
And yet the world doesn't seem at all surprised about your insensitivity. Strange.
Some just don't like the truth and the truth sometimes triggers sensitivity. I just don't see why it should.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:35 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,164,250 times
But how about that Jeopardy tournament?

Old 02-11-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
But how about that Jeopardy tournament?
Pretty awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh