Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 12:55 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Context matters. In this thread the context made the statement read like a warning: "I wouldn't buy there (and neither should you)" rather than "I wouldn't buy there (because it's not a good fit for me)."
I didn't take it as being scared, though some continually think that's the consensus. I took it as I said. No need to throw $$$ at an area I wouldn't want to live in just because some think it's good for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 12:56 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
This occurred to me too...I don't know Sheraden personally, but Brighton Heights and Troy Hill are extremely nice, friendly communities full of life-long residents. Spring Hill too. I don't know if it's actual fear, or a kind of snobbishness, or just a general pessimism, and of course not everyone will love every neighborhood. But if someone told me they were looking for "Old Pittsburgh" I would tell them to look first at Troy Hill, especially the area around St. Anthony's chapel.

About Scratch being out-of-place in that neighborhood -- meh. No more so than Wigle being out of place in Spring Garden, and they are thriving.
Regarding Scratch and its being out of place. Hey, anybody who loves food will travel just about anywhere to eat something good. I remember when People's Indian restaurant opened up in Garfield, I don't think any hipsters were over there then. Penn ave had Kraynix and there weren't any trendy art galleries or vegan pizza shops either. Sometimes it IS brave to take a chance on a neighborhood. I'll bet 5 years from now; we'll be here talking about Troy Hill's renaissance and how it's another Lawrenceville, even if on a much smaller scale. I was just in Scratch for the first time, I liked it. Last time I was in there it was still Billy's, ten years at least.

Last edited by norcider; 02-17-2016 at 02:08 PM..

Old 02-17-2016, 01:00 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I didn't take it as being scared, though some continually think that's the consensus. I took it as I said. No need to throw $$$ at an area I wouldn't want to live in just because some think it's good for them.
Bluecarebear was responding to SCR. SCR has said over and over that he doesn't care houses as a financial investment.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Lol. Ok. This doesn't mean we are the most affordable in the country. The data comes from Trulia.

The standard rent I am seeing for a 1br is $1000 a month in a decent neighborhood. Not trendy, decent.

There is no way I would ever buy in Sheraden, Troy Hill, or Brighton Heights.
ferarris, assuming this is the response you're referring to, I'm not sure where you get that SCR shouldn't buy there either...and my response was about norcider and his remark of being "skeered", which is a usual false assumption. People often have many reasons for not choosing to live in an area.

Sounds like you might be responding to the wrong responses.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:15 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfds View Post
That's just wishful thinking. As trendy city neighborhoods become more desirable the inner ring suburbs will continue to decline.

It's not just happening in Pittsburgh. It's happening all across the country.

The Big Sort | The Economist
I really can't see this happening. The inner ring suburbs are still desirable due to their proximity to the city. In other cities, these places often come with hour plus commutes due to the larger geographic area.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:37 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
ferarris, assuming this is the response you're referring to, I'm not sure where you get that SCR shouldn't buy there either...and my response was about norcider and his remark of being "skeered", which is a usual false assumption. People often have many reasons for not choosing to live in an area.

Sounds like you might be responding to the wrong responses.
That is the response I was referring to. Perhaps I read it incorrectly, but I took it as a warning to SCR not to buy in those areas.

I don't think it's so much that people are scared, but that they don't like the uncertainty of the school situation and housing market in neighborhoods that are neither "have" nor "have not". I'm like SCR in that making a profit on my house is a pretty low priority (though I would definitely take the money if values increase), and while I plan to have children, I don't have any now so schools are virtually a non-issue for at least the next 5 years.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
That is the response I was referring to. Perhaps I read it incorrectly, but I took it as a warning to SCR not to buy in those areas.

I don't think it's so much that people are scared, but that they don't like the uncertainty of the school situation and housing market in neighborhoods that are neither "have" nor "have not". I'm like SCR in that making a profit on my house is a pretty low priority (though I would definitely take the money if values increase), and while I plan to have children, I don't have any now so schools are virtually a non-issue for at least the next 5 years.
There are many assumptions here that are incorrect. Many think that their way is the only way which is absurd. Certainly can't blame people for having uncertainty as there's usually a reason for it and they've usually investigated the situation to come to that conclusion...whereas there are those that assume that there shouldn't be any uncertainty and their area is for everyone.

As to housing stock, it can be easily understood if you don't care if it rises or not, but it's should also easily be understood that it's better to find an area where it's at least not going to decrease.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:06 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettert View Post
I really can't see this happening. The inner ring suburbs are still desirable due to their proximity to the city. In other cities, these places often come with hour plus commutes due to the larger geographic area.
Pittsburgh is different from the urban norm due to how heavily decentralized it was by the early 20th century, what with all of the various mill towns up and down the rivers. Hence a lot of the decline which would have elsewhere gone into first-ring suburbs was swallowed up by the McKees Rocks Duquense, Braddock, and McKeesport, and similar places.

That said, there are unquestionably suburbs in decline in the Pittsburgh area. Penn Hills and Wilkinsburg for sure. West Mifflin as well, although it functioned as both a first-ring suburb of Pittsburgh and McKeesport. Places like Castle Shannon, Baldwin, Greentree and Bellevue are all declining in desirability right now - albeit at a slower pace. If you're just talking about a relative decline in desirability, nearly every first-ring suburb besides Mount Lebanon, the Fox Chapel School district, and some gentrifying suburbs like Dormont, Crafton, and Edgewood is in decline.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:21 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Pittsburgh is different from the urban norm due to how heavily decentralized it was by the early 20th century, what with all of the various mill towns up and down the rivers. Hence a lot of the decline which would have elsewhere gone into first-ring suburbs was swallowed up by the McKees Rocks Duquense, Braddock, and McKeesport, and similar places.

That said, there are unquestionably suburbs in decline in the Pittsburgh area. Penn Hills and Wilkinsburg for sure. West Mifflin as well, although it functioned as both a first-ring suburb of Pittsburgh and McKeesport. Places like Castle Shannon, Baldwin, Greentree and Bellevue are all declining in desirability right now - albeit at a slower pace. If you're just talking about a relative decline in desirability, nearly every first-ring suburb besides Mount Lebanon, the Fox Chapel School district, and some gentrifying suburbs like Dormont, Crafton, and Edgewood is in decline.

Green Tree is declining in desirability? Despite being closer to downtown than Fox Chapel, Swissvale, Regent Square, despite having easy access to the parkway, despite having modern(ish) housing stock, despite having its own office park? Despite housing availability staying very low? Are we thinking of the same Green Tree?

Old 02-17-2016, 02:23 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
Not a warning but I personally wouldn't buy in those areas. Spring Hill either. Crime rates and school districts. My opinion comes from the objective view of not being raised in Pittsburgh. I am not going to look at neighborhoods based on how they were 20 years ago. I look at a house as an investment. Did pretty good on the last one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh