Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2016, 09:11 AM

831 posts, read 871,768 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know about building codes? Is it state specific, or municipality specific?

I'm looking to sell my house. It's a 2 bedroom, but there's a room in the basement which I think I could turn into a bedroom. It's currently an office. Even though it's a basement, it's mostly above ground (the house is built kind of into a hill). It currently has a full size door that opens onto a patio. It's all cinderblock, but I think I could put a window in for egress and I'm wondering what size I have to make it? The room has heat as well as outlets, etc. Is there anything else I'd need to do in order to make it a 3rd bedroom? (I imagine I could get more for the house if I can advertise it as a 3 bedroom as opposed to a 2 bedroom)

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 09:19 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,939,177 times
I think with an outside door you would satisfy the egress requirement, but then you need to meet the 9x8 minimal size and then convince someone they want to live down there. Otherwise from an advertising standpoint your probably ok (Pittsburgh doesn't require closets to call something a bedroom right?)

Old 02-19-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
I think with an outside door you would satisfy the egress requirement, but then you need to meet the 9x8 minimal size and then convince someone they want to live down there. Otherwise from an advertising standpoint your probably ok (Pittsburgh doesn't require closets to call something a bedroom right?)
Yeah, I wondered about that. There's a bathroom downstairs, but no closet in there.

I wonder if I would turn off more people based on expectations that I would gain by advertising it as 3 bedroom.

Having said that, if I was a teenager and could have one of those ikea standing closet, I think I'd prefer a bedroom down there!

Old 02-19-2016, 09:24 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,939,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
Yeah, I wondered about that. There's a bathroom downstairs, but no closet in there.

I wonder if I would turn off more people based on expectations that I would gain by advertising it as 3 bedroom.

Having said that, if I was a teenager and could have one of those ikea standing closet, I think I'd prefer a bedroom down there!
I agree, as a teenager I'd love to have a basement room. Unfortunately as a teenager my parents weren't enthusiastic about me having a basement room, lol. The bathroom down there helps a lot.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:25 AM

3,589 posts, read 3,347,560 times
Egress Window Requirements | IRC Code for Fire Safety

Most egress windows are slider windows. Just remember the window opening size is not half the size of the window, the opening size has to be free open space, if you need 20" width you may need a 48" window. There are a few places that sell egress kits instock, I buy mine at wholesale builders supply in Carnegie.

Last thing to consider is when it gets installed you will need to add gravel and a drainage pipe, if your house has an exterior drain you can just dig down to it and fill the hole with gravel. These egress windows can flood a home if not installed correctly.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:38 AM

5 posts, read 4,294 times
If you can market it as a third bedroom it will help you sell faster and for more $$. To be marketed as a third bedroom it would need a window although to satisfy code requirements you need that as well. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatSimmons View Post
If you can market it as a third bedroom it will help you sell faster and for more $$. To be marketed as a third bedroom it would need a window although to satisfy code requirements you need that as well. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks...what about a closet? Is that a requirement as well?

Old 02-24-2016, 03:10 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,347,560 times
Closets are not required under code unless there is a local amendment to the code

Closets are quick and cheap to install it would help you sell it as a bedroom

Old 02-25-2016, 06:44 AM

5 posts, read 4,294 times
Correct, closet is not needed per code but would make it more marketable as an actual third bedroom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh