Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2016, 11:18 AM

4 posts, read 8,673 times

Advertisements

I live in the North Hills, Hampton specifically. I work in home health and travel around for my job. My main territory is the North Hills. As far up as Gibsonia (someone else takes over from Bakerstown) as far down as Millvale and Perry including North Side. Over to Sewickley Mt Nebo and also dipping into West Deer where Allison Park and West Deer meet 2 miles before Fox Chapel. Again, someone else takes the Fox Chapel, Aspinwall area because there needs to be borders or each nurse could be driving forever.

The bone of contention is always the city. I understand North Side can be considered part of the North Territory. However should Oakland or East Liberty which to me is "east" not North be considered an easier commute from Hampton than Monroeville? For what it's worth the one covering Monroeville actually lives in New Kensington. The one covering Aspinwall lives in Sarver. I realize I am blessed for the most part for where I live vs where I need to drive, but obviously I cover a huge territory and sometimes a very high census. It's rare we get city patients because there are other companies that service those areas for the most part.

I always thought Monroeville was closer to Oakland and East Liberty but more investigation is showing that it may not be so. It seems miles for miles, it's pretty close. 12 miles vs 10.3 miles and 23 min vs 27min. My husband seems to think that the river should define the border and that the east part of the city should be the responsibility of the team that handles Harmar, Fox Chapel Aspinwall, New Kensington and I understand what he's saying. But I'm also understanding what the people who are trying to define the territories are seeing, but yet on the flip side, I'm already covering a massive territory including Ross, however go figure someone that lives over in Robinson covers Franklin Park! So you can see we don't have a perfect system and just trying to figure out what's reasonable and what isn't. Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 02:48 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,589,460 times
That's really interesting...I tend to agree with your husband that the rivers are an easy way to draw boundary lines, but I don't know. If your territory covers Millvale then Lawrenceville doesn't seem like a stretch, but Easy Liberty does. Maybe the division could be set around the Children's Hospital somewhere?

The rivers and hills do make it all very confusing.

Old 02-20-2016, 05:52 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,208,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Paws View Post
I'm already covering a massive territory including Ross, however go figure someone that lives over in Robinson covers Franklin Park! So you can see we don't have a perfect system and just trying to figure out what's reasonable and what isn't. Thanks for any help
It really depends on how many customers you have, and how they are geographically distributed, the goal is to equalize the work.

East Lib isn't a bad trip from Hampton, 8 to 28 North and across the HP and your there.

If you had a territory out in the country, you might have to visit a dozen counties.

Maybe business will pick up, and they'll hire more staff to make the geography a little more narrow

Old 02-23-2016, 11:14 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,487,518 times
I think the issue is really that the Parkway East is brutal and getting into East Liberty and Oakland is very time consuming.

To me Oakland is central. East Liberty is tough. Easy to get to from Churchill and easy to get to from the Highland Park Bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh