Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 09:29 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,496 times

Advertisements

Sq Hill and Highland Park are technically outer ring neighborhoods...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 10:58 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
Declining outer areas
Lincoln, Homewood, East Hills
Knoxville, most of Arlington, most of Carrick, soon East Overbrook, Mt. Oliver (city proper to a lesser extent) & Beechview's Rockland Ave/Palm Beach Ave/where the Beltzhoover &/or Hispanic DTO offsets hide out in
almost half of Sheraden, half of Fairywood, most of Elliott, soon West End Village? etc.
Marshall-Shadeland, Perry Hilltop, Northview, a medium siezed part of Observatory Hill & part of SE Brighton Heights.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:49 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I really wish that the California business district was on both sides of the street (and maybe moved to Brighton, so it's not on the edge of the neighborhood) and that the Giant Eagle was more centrally located. It would make a world of difference.
It's actually zoned commercial on both sides of the street at least, which means if demand ever rose, there could be storefronts there.

Quote:
I wonder if that's another thing Brookline has going for it. Admittedly I haven't explored much off of the Blvd, but isn't it mostly brick craftsmans and four squares? Maybe it's lacking the old apartment buildings, frame homes, and row homes that are less attractive to most people.
Tastes vary, but I don't think the housing stock is Brookline's solid point. There are still a fair amount of frame houses (including some which almost look like shotguns). And since the neighborhood continued to be built out through the 50s and 60s, there's a lot of godawful Pittsburgh vernacular styles, such as the ever-popular bunker house.

When you add to this that Brookline houses tend towards being more remuddled (the area stayed middle-class, so people "improved" their interiors through the entire 20th century) overall the housing stock is much more blah than Brighton Heights or Observatory Hill. I think the Boulevard is the main selling point, along with the whole low crime/decent neighborhood schools thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
Sq Hill and Highland Park are technically outer ring neighborhoods...
Technically speaking Squirrel Hill isn't "outer ring" because it isn't a neighborhood which borders on the outside of Pittsburgh. But I'd tend to concur. Within the East End, Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, Garfield, Friendship, East Liberty, and Shadyside all form a sort of coherent unit. If you live in one, you can generally walk to the business district of another. But Squirrel Hill on Forbes and Murray is off doing it's own thing, fairly geographically isolated from the other walkable areas in the East End.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:55 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
1. It has a solid business district, not trendy but very useful unlike Brighton Heights and Observatory Hill which don’t have much if any business district at all,
I think the size of Brookline's business district is why it gets a pass. First and foremost posters seem to crave a walkable neighborhood.

To a lesser extent, I think its housing stock helps too. My thinking is that the houses aren't massive so rehab costs aren't as expensive. Let's face it if you aren't worried about the cost of rehab you can swing the pricey East End neighborhoods.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:39 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It's actually zoned commercial on both sides of the street at least, which means if demand ever rose, there could be storefronts there.
There actually is a lawyer's office on the opposite side of the street, maybe some of the other single family homes could be converted to businesses one day. I think the neighborhood would generally be opposed to demolishing the stone church or this nice apartment building though.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:46 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
Quote:
There actually is a lawyer's office on the opposite side of the street, maybe some of the other single family homes could be converted to businesses one day. I think the neighborhood would generally be opposed to demolishing the stone church or this nice apartment building though.
Especially since that same apartment building sat dormant for a decade (or longer, it was in a deplorable state for a long time) and was only recently refurbished and put back into use.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:52 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,395 times
I'm struggling with concept of an "outer-ring city neighborhood." I mean this isn't Houston. The city is only what, 56ish square miles in total. My house on the far edge of Brookline (almost in Dormont) is almost exactly 4 miles from my downtown office. The rivers, bridges and hills around here significantly alter the psychological concept of distance, I think, for a lot of folks.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:01 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
I'm struggling with concept of an "outer-ring city neighborhood." I mean this isn't Houston. The city is only what, 56ish square miles in total. My house on the far edge of Brookline (almost in Dormont) is almost exactly 4 miles from my downtown office. The rivers, bridges and hills around here significantly alter the psychological concept of distance, I think, for a lot of folks.
The concept is especially confusing in Pittsburgh because we clearly have two "cores" - one in Downtown, and one in the East End (roughly Oakland and the Baum/Centre corridor to downtown East Liberty. Neigborhoods within this core all tend to be dominated by some mixture of apartment units and attached housing. neighborhoods outside of this core are dominated by detached single-family housing.

Of course, it's a bit more complicated than that, given even though Mount Washington is only an incline trip away from Downtown, in a lot of ways it's more like an "outer ring" city neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh