Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 04:06 PM

154 posts, read 179,363 times

Advertisements

It's actually come up; haven't gone yet, but soon.

Planning to look at a few places in South Park, jefferson hills, bethel park, mt lebanon (for suburbs), and then going to check out the areas of South side flats and regent square. Still need to do some more online searching for rentals in SSF and RS.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep ya posted on how it goes (and if anyone has any last minute suggestions feel free to throw them this way )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 05:44 PM

154 posts, read 179,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
I was wondering if OP had a successful visit on his apartment/house hunting trip this past week-end? I hope he had an opportunity to see Regent Square because I thought that was a solid recommendation by RogersParkTransplant.
Just did some looking and now I remember why Regent Square fell off my radar. It's one of the previously mentioned areas that is heavily anti-dog. Nearly all listings either allow cats only or no pets. I'll keep an eye out but it doesn't seem promising.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:21 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlbraves49 View Post
Just did some looking and now I remember why Regent Square fell off my radar. It's one of the previously mentioned areas that is heavily anti-dog. Nearly all listings either allow cats only or no pets. I'll keep an eye out but it doesn't seem promising.
Hmmm.... that's probably why the neighborhood is so quiet and clean.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:36 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Hmmm.... that's probably why the neighborhood is so quiet and clean.
Lots of pets in many quiet and clean areas everywhere, whether it be apartment complexes or residential neighborhoods. The people who own pets and don't care for them or keep them quiet are the problem.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:59 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,835 times
Quote:
Oh, sorry to hear that -- and here I was thinking the proximity to Frick Park would make some parts of Regent Square especially nice for the dog! We don't have pets, so this aspect of the local rental market is new to me, but I will say that we realized very quickly that it would be easier to get what we wanted in Pittsburgh if we bought rather than rented. Not exactly sure why that is, but I have a lot of theories that basically have to do with relatively affordable houses, and a relatively large number of university students who drive up the rental prices in the East End.

The suburbs you listed are all perfectly nice...I am partial to Mt Lebo myself, FWIW, but I have only visited the area and don't live there.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:02 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,589 times
The cost of living in the south hills is a less then the east end. I am all over the city every day. It seams like everything is just a little bit more pricey in the east. https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/5469548634.html this does not exist in the east end, I bought gas for $1.60 in Washington the other day, the grocery stores are just a little bit more. I know it must just be my imagination but it adds up over time.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:24 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Lots of pets in many quiet and clean areas everywhere, whether it be apartment complexes or residential neighborhoods. The people who own pets and don't care for them or keep them quiet are the problem.
I find myself agreeing with erieguy?! HELP!

Old 03-01-2016, 05:42 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
Quote:
Which is different than owner-occupied RS, where it seems 90% of homes have a dog. Sit on the patio at Biddle's Escape and you'll see a dog being walked every 30 seconds. And the Frick dog park is constantly packed.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:06 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Oh, sorry to hear that -- and here I was thinking the proximity to Frick Park would make some parts of Regent Square especially nice for the dog! We don't have pets, so this aspect of the local rental market is new to me, but I will say that we realized very quickly that it would be easier to get what we wanted in Pittsburgh if we bought rather than rented. Not exactly sure why that is, but I have a lot of theories that basically have to do with relatively affordable houses, and a relatively large number of university students who drive up the rental prices in the East End.

The suburbs you listed are all perfectly nice...I am partial to Mt Lebo myself, FWIW, but I have only visited the area and don't live there.
Regent square has some pretty bad rentals, specifically "'Regent Square' Rentals" that seem to cater to students.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:01 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,589 times
How did a thread about South hills suburbs turn into a discussion about dogs in regent square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh