Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 08:08 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,091,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
And what economic theory to which you subscribe allows anything other than supply and demand to "set" a price for a basic industrial feedstock?

According to the attached link,

World

The United States has regained its position as the world's top petroleum producer. (Not that I'm entirely enthused about that; the last forty years should have taught us to plan ahead, but not to trust the process to the most flamboyant of the environmental zealots.)

The point being: petroleum will be just one of many factors in the process by which an industrialized, and later on, a post industrial society adjusts. Barring another "oil shock", I'd expect prices to remain fairly stable in a pattern similar to the years 1982-1999.
OPEC has been very clear that they were setting their production not based on demand, but on a certain price per barrel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 09:56 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times
2016 gas prices: Summer uptick won't last

No surprise.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:05 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,954,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'd be happy if gas prices this summer peaked somewhere around $2.69/gallon. I feel as if that provides enough profit to prevent more layoffs in the oil/gas industry while not breaking most people's pocketbooks the way we were all pinched when we were paying nearly $4/gallon.
Higher gas prices equate to hire consumer prices, which disproportionately impact our most economically fragile populations. That's not something I'd be willing to endure in exchange for propping up an unsustainable, ecologically devastating industry.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:49 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Higher gas prices equate to hire consumer prices, which disproportionately impact our most economically fragile populations. That's not something I'd be willing to endure in exchange for propping up an unsustainable, ecologically devastating industry.
They go up every summer.....He's not saying he's rooting for them to go higher but that it would be nice if they didn't get higher than that price, which is much lower than it's been the past few summers.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:10 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
And what economic theory to which you subscribe allows anything other than supply and demand to "set" a price for a basic industrial feedstock?
There is a lot more involved than just supply and demand. Very powerful governments/companies/groups control supplies and they know the demand and can predict demand's future. Do you know how much power Russia has in this industry? There are deals going on all the time for positioning and Russia is a very big player. There are some powerful countries that would prefer fuel prices very low right now due to Russia's expansion and other plays Russia is making. In other words much of this could be to punish Russia with super low prices. The supply is a more calculated thing than you would like to know. Believe me, if you had a discussion with Bob Dudley or Rex W. Tillerson it may blow your mind what all goes on.

The response from someone earlier on here saying he talked to someone that discussed Russia and the oil/gas prices is most likely involved in this industry or knows a lot about it. I would enjoy discussing it with that person, but to be honest it isn't a topic that is worth discussing here. I will leave it at that and not interesting in debating all of this with people that aren't in the industry. All it will be is dopy discussions.

Here is what I think will happen. The industry will keep prices super low until they get what they want through negotiation. I suspect Russia is a HUGE part of all of this due to their massive reserves. The window should be two years, but if it goes further there will be more pain in that industry, but consumers will enjoy low prices. Most of the giant oil companies are okay with a couple of years of low profits and they can shake the tree and get rid of a bunch of employees in the process and not replace them all later when the industry decides to cut production and get prices back up. I think the current price will sort of stick around for the most part, but these little moves are about meaningless. Prices will go up at some point The big boys aren't going to starve themselves forever.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:59 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times
Nothing to do with it. This was predicted months ago and happens every year.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:05 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,092 times
Quote:

I'm always astonished at the naiveté of people who insist that some pure economic theory is up to the task of explaining international pricing for commodities. The reality is that global politics make it a much more complex process than you have been led to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: