Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 01:32 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The Allegheny County Police only police county property; North Park, South Park. It's a completely unnecessary department.
Obviously many disagree as there's a force and I've never heard anyone or anything argue against it. I expect every time a shooting happens elsewhere, residents are happy to have the police manpower.

Last edited by erieguy; 04-03-2016 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 01:57 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,899,604 times
Quote:
The Allegheny County Police only police county property; North Park, South Park and the airport. It's a completely unnecessary department.
Not true.

They offer specialized assistance to municipal police forces in Allegheny County that lack certain capabilities - such as: Audio and Video Forensic Unit, EOD, Narcotic Detection K9, SWAT, and mounted patrol.
Police | Police Services | Allegheny County

They also have homicide detectives. Who are taking the lead in investigating the Wilkinsburg shooting.
Morton to serve as interim county police superintendent | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 04-03-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Not true.

They offer specialized assistance to municipal police forces in Allegheny County that lack certain capabilities - such as: Audio and Video Forensic Unit, EOD, Narcotic Detection K9, SWAT, and mounted patrol.

They also have homicide detectives. Who are taking the lead in investigating the Wilkinsburg shooting.
Morton to serve as interim county police superintendent | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Excellent info.

Old 04-03-2016, 02:29 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,337 times
The city police force conduct stings that catch out of state drug traffickers all the time. They have way more on their plate than catching kids partying in the woods and harassing suburbanites for going 30 in a 25. It is also not easy for police to get full time jobs in municipalities outside of the city and many work part time to get their feet in the door. If the city cops want to leave for greener pastures I could care less. Leaves opportunities for more dedicated prospects. There's also part of the force that is and will be retiring. I doubt all of the departing cops are whiny millennials wanting the ability to live outside the city.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
The city police force conduct stings that catch out of state drug traffickers all the time. They have way more on their plate than catching kids partying in the woods and harassing suburbanites for going 30 in a 25. It is also not easy for police to get full time jobs in municipalities outside of the city and many work part time to get their feet in the door. If the city cops want to leave for greener pastures I could care less. Leaves opportunities for more dedicated prospects. There's also part of the force that is and will be retiring. I doubt all of the departing cops are whiny millennials wanting the ability to live outside the city.
"All"? No...but I expect many, according to the article.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:39 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Not true.

Most local police departments who lack those services get them from the state police. Wilkinsburg could do the same. There is no reason to maintain an Allegheny County police force.

Old 04-03-2016, 03:51 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,899,604 times
Quote:
Most local police departments who lack those services get them from the state police. Wilkinsburg could do the same. There is no reason to maintain an Allegheny County police force.
We're the second most populous county in the state.
Personally, I see a benefit to having a specialized police force that is locally headquartered.
The introduction of Park Rangers into County Parks was also meant to allow the County Police to focus more on police work other than patrolling.

I'm curious - how do you feel about the County Health Department? Should we also abolish that agency and rely on the PA Dept of Health instead?

Old 04-03-2016, 04:21 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
If the city cops want to leave for greener pastures I could care less. Leaves opportunities for more dedicated prospects. There's also part of the force that is and will be retiring. I doubt all of the departing cops are whiny millennials wanting the ability to live outside the city.
There is no sin or lack of dedication for anyone who seeks a new job to ply their trade, especially one with better work conditions and better pay.

Any working man has to be concerned about his own family's well being, and more pay, a better school district, and maybe better chances for a promotion in a new department.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:28 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
There is no sin or lack of dedication for anyone who seeks a new job to ply their trade, especially one with better work conditions and better pay.

Any working man has to be concerned about his own family's well being, and more pay, a better school district, and maybe better chances for a promotion in a new department.
Better chances for promotion when a policeman leaves the city for a tiny municipal police force in the suburbs? How do you figure?

Old 04-03-2016, 04:39 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Better chances for promotion when a policeman leaves the city for a tiny municipal police force in the suburbs? How do you figure?
Depends on the individual circumstances of course, but if an officer thinks he has little chance for promotion in the city because of political concerns and nepotism, a smaller force might offer a better chance.

A lot of the outlying forces are aging as well, and if someone is hired by (e.g.) Ross, he might be in a better position to apply for a higher position in Pine or Hampton.

Please remember that the Pittsburgh PD has gone outside of their department for brass, the current chief is from Wisconsin, that had to be a kick in the butt for officers and supervisors who "stayed committed" to the city department. Maybe if an officer takes a job, gets promoted in Mccandless, he might be able to come back for a big job in Pittsburgh again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh