Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 02:33 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
How do you two know this? I'm curious.
Simple really. No matter where I am when out of state and I'm asked where I'm from or introduce where I'm from its most always a sarcastic response about the Stillers or a genuine remark from a Stiller fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
How do you two know this? I'm curious. Back when Kordell Stewart was in his glory days for the Steelers, some of the kids at the middle school where my kids went at the time were Steelers fans b/c Kordell went to the U of CO and they'd seen him play there.
Yeah, you and someone else brought up Kordell Stewart. That's over a decade ago.

I find the only people who argue against the popularity of the Stillers or the NFL are non fans of one or both.

There's also rumor of the NFL playing games in China.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Yeah, you and someone else brought up Kordell Stewart. That's over a decade ago.

I find the only people who argue against the popularity of the Stillers or the NFL are non fans of one or both.
That's the last time the Steelers were popular in Denver in any kind of a big way.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
That's the last time the Steelers were popular in Denver in any kind of a big way.
Stillers/Broncos is always a fan favorite game...and Stewart didn't have many glory days playing for the Stillers.

Denver isn't very popular in da 'Burgh, but they're still one of the most popular teams in the league, and the highlight of the city of Denver and Colorado on a nationwide scale, same as the Stillers.

You're just not a fan. No big deal. There's a few non football fans in the world...but I'm sure there's quite a few of these to be seen in Colorado. http://teeshirtgalaxy.myshopify.com/...ant=1977281923

Last edited by erieguy; 04-04-2016 at 03:15 PM..

Old 04-17-2016, 10:42 PM

20 posts, read 20,618 times
Very insular, love cheap beer, sports teams and have a delusional pride in their city that means they cannot accept any criticism of its faults without a fight. Around the colleges is slightly better due to the influx of new blood constantly.

The happiest people here are usually the ones who grew up here and will die here.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:16 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebster85 View Post
Very insular, love cheap beer, sports teams and have a delusional pride in their city that means they cannot accept any criticism of its faults without a fight. Around the colleges is slightly better due to the influx of new blood constantly.

The happiest people here are usually the ones who grew up here and will die here.
Your description certainly demonstrates the knowledge of someone familiar with Pittsburgh 25 years ago (other than the last sentence, which hasn't been true since the 70's). Maybe you should visit again to update your perspective.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:02 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Loud talkers and telling it like it is? That sounds very unMidwestern to me!

Old 04-18-2016, 08:01 PM

20 posts, read 20,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Your description certainly demonstrates the knowledge of someone familiar with Pittsburgh 25 years ago (other than the last sentence, which hasn't been true since the 70's). Maybe you should visit again to update your perspective.
I made the mistake of going to Pitt and then made the bigger mistake of trying to start a life there afterwards. Aside from a few neighborhoods, its like a bunch of small towns stuck together. There is no strong downtown, it dies after 6 and is surrounded by blight and ghetto which prevents anything good from happening to the area.

I found the infrastructure a joke, the lack of public transportation deplorable and the people rude. Unless you are a sports fanatic, there is little going on for vast portions of the year. The job situation is terrible. Pittsburgh is not a good place for someone young and vibrant.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:16 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
the stereotypical Pittsburgher in general is white; nominally Catholic; registered Democrat; supporter of labor unions, if not a member of one; limits their geographic mobility based on family ties; went to Pitt, Slippery Rock, or IUP; is likely a member of an ethnic club or has a favorite ethnic bar; will always seem to have some bit of economic uncertainty/worry in the back of their mind; and is likely not the best driver.
This is somebody who knows how to answer a question. Got right down to business. Repped.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:34 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebster85 View Post

Nothing particularly wrong with enjoying popularly priced beer or have a firm attachment to a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh