Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 03:18 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,008,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
No
They certainly are. How many of those areas have you been to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 03:21 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,932,450 times
Who cares?

Start another thread before you ruin a worthwhile discussion about the actual theme of the thread.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:24 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,900,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
They certainly are. How many of those areas have you been to?
I don't need to have visited any of those campuses or the towns in which they're located to know that none of those schools is held in the same regard, in this region or anywhere else, as Pitt.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I don't need to have visited any of those campuses or the towns in which they're located to know that none of those schools is held in the same regard, in this region or anywhere else, as Pitt.
You need to know the areas to realize how important those campuses are to them. Population loss and decay hurts all areas...and not just areas or campuses the size of Pitt.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:31 PM

14,361 posts, read 16,879,345 times
Quote:
The famous U.S. News and World Report college ranking is paywalled, but you can see a free college ranking here. Some of the rural private colleges in western Pennsylvania do rank better than Duquense, but none rank better than Pitt or CMU - or in the top 100 nationwide. Note they rank lower than not only Pitt, but also Penn State and Temple. I have a hard time imagining any of them are particularly prestigious for that reason - Pennsylvania has an above-average state university system, but it still says something if a private university isn't as competitive as the flagship public universities in a state.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:31 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,900,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
You need to know the areas to realize how important those campuses are to them. Population loss and decay hurts all areas...and not just areas or campuses the size of Pitt.
I'm sure of it, but this is the point I was addressing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
really disagree as a number of those schools are as well renowned as pitt to area employers

Old 04-15-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I'm sure of it, but this is the point I was addressing:
So was I.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:40 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,272,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The famous U.S. News and World Report college ranking is paywalled, but you can see a free college ranking here. Some of the rural private colleges in western Pennsylvania do rank better than Duquense, but none rank better than Pitt or CMU - or in the top 100 nationwide. Note they rank lower than not only Pitt, but also Penn State and Temple. I have a hard time imagining any of them are particularly prestigious for that reason - Pennsylvania has an above-average state university system, but it still says something if a private university isn't as competitive as the flagship public universities in a state.
you are pretty crazy if you think the caliber of student in the 10th and 20th listing on those rankings is significantly different. there are plenty of high performing students that attend smaller schools for various reasons. get off your high horse. cmu is leaps and bounds above others in the area but pitt competes with many of the smaller schools for students.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:47 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,932,450 times
Quote:
you are pretty crazy if you think the caliber of student in the 10th and 20th listing on those rankings is significantly different. there are plenty of high performing students that attend smaller schools for various reasons. get off your high horse. cmu is leaps and bounds above others in the area but pitt competes with many of the smaller schools for students.
Take your insecurities to a thread that cares.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:22 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,446,660 times
Quote:

I know so many people from small schools that have done great things. Obviously, a "name" school will open doors easier, doesn't mean you can't accomplish the same as someone from Pitt. Make that especially from Pitt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh