Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 11:11 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,102 times

Advertisements

Ok, Trump wants to revive Pittsburgh's coal and steel industries.

Trump promises to bring lost manufacturing jobs back to Pittsburgh | TribLIVE

Coal I can see, fossil fuels are not obsolete. But steel? Even if Trump could do that, would Pittsburgh want it back? Steel made Pittsburgh an anathema in terms of liveability with air and water pollution. It could wipe out the gains Pittsburgh has made in other areas of its economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 11:17 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
American steel is alive and well -- mostly in the form of the new-tech, non-union plants like Nucor and Jorgensen that recycle scrap in electric furnaces. Trump is merely offering a sentimental wallow in the past to the not-so-economically-astute. But his message still trumps () the nonsense peddled by the SJW's over in LeftyLand.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:41 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,769 times
he's also going to bring Joe Paterno back to life

Donald Trump apparently forgets Joe Paterno died, asks Pittsburgh crowd how he

Old 04-14-2016, 04:21 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
The return of steel and coal would be a real change for Pittsburgh's revived low lying and riverfront communities. Young'uns and transplanted Pittsburghers in places like Lawrenceville, the South Side and Herr's Island might be a bit shocked at the river and freight train traffic, sulfur and other fragrances in the air as well as the noise these kinds of enterprises will bring to the city.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:32 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,392,312 times
There are alot of steel mills left in the area, (universal stainless in bridgeville, ati in brakenridge, canonsburgh and washington, koppel steel in ambridge and koppel, galvtech on 2nd ave, union electric steel in carnegie, quality rolls in southside, monesson coke plant to name a few) I think most of them are running at a fraction of capacity. Bringing steel back should be a priority, not only do they provide very good jobs but it is also needed for our national defense. I am not a Trump supporter but I am glad he is bringing attention to a much needed topic.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:50 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,392,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The return of steel and coal would be a real change for Pittsburgh's revived low lying and riverfront communities. Young'uns and transplanted Pittsburghers in places like Lawrenceville, the South Side and Herr's Island might be a bit shocked at the river and freight train traffic, sulfur and other fragrances in the air as well as the noise these kinds of enterprises will bring to the city.
This area will never see a new mill, the cost will be to outrageous, but the ones we have left need to run at full capacity. Us steel is only running one of its two blast furnace in Braddock at a fraction of capacity, it has a rebuilt modernized furnace that has not been used yet since it's overhaul last year. I read somewhere that the Braddock plant can produce 25% of of the steel needed in this country at full capacity.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:59 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
How's he going to bring back coal? Outlawing fracking?

Old 04-14-2016, 06:11 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,705 times
He can't even produce his tax records how the heck is he going to bring back steel? Buffoon.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:12 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,279 times
Even if all the area's plants run at capacity, the increase will bring only a fraction of the jobs back that left our fair city in the 70's. That's technological innovation for you. I don't know how that reality slipped out of Trump's grasp. He's just saying whatever he believes his audience wants to here. His followers are dupes.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:12 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
I watched it on Youtube. It was definitely directed at blue collar workers.

I retired recently. My team of 15 in IT went from having 1 Asian-educated worker 2 years ago to 8 last month. The 1 two years ago was a contractor, now the 8 are currently full-time employees. It's still easy for an American IT worker with some skills and experience to get a job here. It's already becoming more difficult for entry level people. In 5 years, it will be very difficult for an American-educated IT worker to get or keep a job in IT.

It's not just blue-collar jobs that will be going away in Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh