Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 04:29 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Maybe someone will reopen the Star Bar, which was delightful divey kind of joint right on Chestnut. Rebuilding and restoring the old White Tower on Chestnut- it was like the last surviving WT in Pittsburgh- is another idea.
That sounds great! That neighborhood especially needs a place to get cheap, low-quality liquor in squalid surroundings... and it would be the icing on the cake if drunks could get cheap, low quality "food" to chase it all down. It would be especially appealing for the puking-in-their-sleep crowd!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 04:37 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
The star lounge was razed in 2015.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:38 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
That sounds great! That neighborhood especially needs a place to get cheap, low-quality liquor in squalid surroundings... and it would be the icing on the cake if drunks could get cheap, low quality "food" to chase it all down. It would be especially appealing for the puking-in-their-sleep crowd!
I'm detecting a little bit of sarcasm here, but I personally think that there is a need for low-brow establishments in Pittsburgh too. I heard they want to open a new joint to sell $10 bowls of ramen noodles on Butler Street. That's fine, but I think we need places to attract the hoi polloi as well.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:08 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I'm detecting a little bit of sarcasm here, but I personally think that there is a need for low-brow establishments in Pittsburgh too. I heard they want to open a new joint to sell $10 bowls of ramen noodles on Butler Street. That's fine, but I think we need places to attract the hoi polloi as well.
But... ARE there no prisons?!

ARE there NO workhouses?!

Old 04-21-2016, 05:14 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post

ARE there NO workhouses?!

Not in Allegheny County, since they closed it in 1971 for RIDC park project in Blawnox

Old 04-21-2016, 06:20 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
I don't have anything substantive to say here except...yay!

Old 04-21-2016, 06:35 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
The star lounge was razed in 2015.
Where do all the hookers and drug dealers hang out now

Old 04-22-2016, 06:36 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,209 times
What is a White Tower? I'm gathering it was a local chain of liquor stores, but now you real Pittsburgh people have me curious to hear more.

Anything is better than blight. I'm fine with a liquor store if one comes in, especially if it's clean and run well. I didn't know anything about the old Star Lounge but it was sad to see the building razed. I'm hoping the old Bier house building fares better -- that one is a block over on Spring Garden before you get to Vinial, and it's a neat old building. Still has its tin ceiling and a lot of other nice details inside, and there's something to be said for a neighborhood bar, or maybe a little diner with good brunch cocktails (might as well, since the building was for sale with its liquor license last I saw...)

Old 04-22-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Where do all the hookers and drug dealers hang out now
I don't know because I don't associate with people like that. I do frequent the area on a weekly basis and I do not see any hookers on Chestnut. I will see one from time to time on or near E. Ohio. Most drug dealing is done in the open from my observations.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
What is a White Tower? I'm gathering it was a local chain of liquor stores, but now you real Pittsburgh people have me curious to hear more.

Anything is better than blight. I'm fine with a liquor store if one comes in, especially if it's clean and run well. I didn't know anything about the old Star Lounge but it was sad to see the building razed. I'm hoping the old Bier house building fares better -- that one is a block over on Spring Garden before you get to Vinial, and it's a neat old building. Still has its tin ceiling and a lot of other nice details inside, and there's something to be said for a neighborhood bar, or maybe a little diner with good brunch cocktails (might as well, since the building was for sale with its liquor license last I saw...)
White Tower/White Castle, I suspect they were somehow linked because of the size, shape and color of the buildings. Cheap burger and fries joint. Pittsburgh had numerous White Tower establishments. From memory:

Cedar Avenue a couple of doors down from the Italian ice place.
Chestnut and Progress, across from Heinz, the tile entrance is still there but the building was demolished back in the 90's.
In town, 6th Ave IIRC near the old Fulton theater.

I know there were others but many were gone by the late 80's.+

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Castle_(restaurant)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Tower_Hamburgers

Photo of the one on Cedar, not my photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/antiqu...ion/4144036237
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh