Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 07:59 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,485,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Thanks for your replies. I would say my most important thing is enough kids in the neighborhood. I want my kids to have friends nearby. My daughter is into singing / choir so if a school has such a program that would be great. Also opportunities for soccer would be good. Other than that I am looking for the usual safe and family-friendly neighborhood. My home budget would be 350k. Hope this makes sense.
Makes perfect sense. I think most of the suburbs around the Airport will have plenty of kids and family-friendly neighborhoods and activities. It is the second fastest growing region of Pittsburgh after the Northern suburbs. I really think you would like Moon Township. However, not many of the suburbs of Pittsburgh are "town-like." Meaning, they're typically sprawling acres of wooded areas with housing, schools, and businesses dispersed throughout. This means they're not very walkable. You can easily find a housing "plan" or development that has sidewalks and can be walked, but you're not going to be walking to the local ice cream shop or grocery store. Does that make sense?

Moon Area School District: Moon Area School District | Home

Howard Hanna for homes: Real Estate and Homes for Sale type in Moon Area Schools, PA in the search box. This will give you a feel of what your money can buy and factor in property taxes, as well. You can search West Allegheny Schools, Montour Schools, Quaker Valley Schools, and South Fayette Schools, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 08:19 AM

86 posts, read 95,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
I get confused about the exact neighborhood lines out that way, sorry. Isn't there a nice school district back there? Maybe Carlynton?
Compared to the other schools discussed in here (SF, Lebo, USC) I wouldn't call Carlynton "nice". I would say it is a step down from WA, Moon, and Montour as well.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:23 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,198,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser412soze View Post
Compared to the other schools discussed in here (SF, Lebo, USC) I wouldn't call Carlynton "nice". I would say it is a step down from WA, Moon, and Montour as well.
Carlynton is a very small district, one of the smallest in the county. I wouldn't be half surprised to see them merged with KO, CV or Montour sooner rather than later.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:59 PM

86 posts, read 95,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Carlynton is a very small district, one of the smallest in the county. I wouldn't be half surprised to see them merged with KO, CV or Montour sooner rather than later.
I'm surprised it hasn't already happened. Rumors about them merging with CV have been around for at last 20 years, just like Cornell merging with Moon.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:05 PM

29,627 posts, read 34,098,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
There has been plenty of discussions about upper st clair and mt lebanon if you do a search you can get a good idea of their differences. South Fayette has alot of good qualities but its taxes are high.
You keep mentioning Upper St. Clair, Mt. Lebo, and Bethel Park, which are good school districts, but the OP may not want to commute from there to out near the airport. I certainly wouldn't, especially when there are comparable districts nearby.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:49 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,349,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You keep mentioning Upper St. Clair, Mt. Lebo, and Bethel Park, which are good school districts, but the OP may not want to commute from there to out near the airport. I certainly wouldn't, especially when there are comparable districts nearby.
Their commute was to the Robinson mall area. Not to the airport. The commute can be done in under 20 minutes. That is a very easy commute to make. With a $350,000 budget for a house why limit the areas to just around the airport.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:53 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,753,116 times
South Fayette hands down.

They have the little green machine marching band.

The school district has been named Number 1 in the area two years in a row ; upsetting Upper St. Clair and Mt. Lebanon. I move there almost 4 years ago and have two high schoolers now. They have absolutely thrived here. As for housing, you can get anything ; from around $100K for a smaller house, to over a million. We are 10 miles from the airport, just off 79. Yes, the taxes are a bit higher than a lot of areas, but you definitely get more bang for your buck.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:30 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,621,387 times
Crafton is in the Carlynton school district. Most of my neighbors have school age kids who attend public schools in the Carlynton district. All are quite happy with the schools. All are middle class professionals with kids who will go on to college. You have to like big old houses because that's most of the housing stock here.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:00 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,176,185 times
Carlynton is fine. Test scores are improving and the two main towns in the district (Grafton and Carnegie) are solid. I think test scores are lower partly because of the tiny class sizes. Crafton Elementary in particular is a gem of a neighborhood school.

I also agree the district will eventually be merged (Montour or CV make the most sense).

Old 04-27-2016, 10:37 AM

6 posts, read 4,364 times
Mid 30s professional here. Wife and I just bought a house in Crafton - we aren't scared of Carlynton. All I talked to who went there said they loved it as it WAS small. If they wanted to play a sport they could, be in the play, etc.

I personally went to CV and my wife's family Carlynton - no difference in education or quality of life. Again, it comes down to families who prioritize education, in my opinion. I see most of my friends in their 20s and early 30s sending their kids to Pittsburgh Public Schools - and their kids seem fine to me - but then again they are taking an active role in education. They look at me like I'm crazy when I ask about "the Pittsburgh schools". I know plenty of kids who went to CV who didn't amount to much.

Those on my wife's side who are Carlynton grads all turned out fine, working in STEM fields making a lot of money. Her little nephew is at Carnegie elementary doing very well. I'm pretty excited to send my little one to a neighborhood elementary school we can walk to and know most of the families in, unlike the CV primary school which is huge and depersonalized. I am old enough to remember when CV had small walk-able elementary schools and am happy to move into a place that still has one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh