Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 10:08 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,175,870 times

Advertisements

So I'll be working near the airport / a "Robinson Mall" is not too far away. My daughter will start high school and my son kindergarten. What areas would you recommend we buy a home? Obviously schools are a priority. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 10:30 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
If schools are top priority, south Fayette, Ingram, Robinson, upper st Clair, mt Lebanon, Cecil, bethel park. These areas cover alot of budget ranges. Ingram is in the montour district along with Kennedy and I believe Robinson twp, that will be your closest commute. Mt Lebo and USC are the top districts in the area with south Fayette right behind them. Public schools in this area are very good, you have alot of choices

Old 04-23-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
If schools are top priority, south Fayette, Ingram, Robinson, upper st Clair, mt Lebanon, Cecil, bethel park. These areas cover alot of budget ranges. Ingram is in the montour district along with Kennedy and I believe Robinson twp, that will be your closest commute. Mt Lebo and USC are the top districts in the area with south Fayette right behind them. Public schools in this area are very good, you have alot of choices
Thanks for your quick reply! How much of a difference would there be between what you call the top 2 Mt. Lebo / USC and the other ones you mentioned? Also how much difference in commute?

Old 04-23-2016, 11:07 PM

Your child will have access to a top of the line education with any of the schools mentioned. I would send my son to any of them. The top ten districts in the area are unbelievably good, the communities they are in are vastly different from one another. I would recommend posting what you want from a neighborhood so you are comfortable where you live and your family is happy.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:04 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,495,701 times
Moon Area School District would be rated the best in the immediate Airport vicinity. West Allegheny School District and Montour School District are fine, too. These are solid, middle to upper-middle class suburbs with lots of amenities nearby.

I always considered South Fayette Township Schools to be in the South Hills, but I suppose portions of the district are an easy commute to the Airport area. If that's the case, South Fayette was just rated #1 in Western PA. The community still has a rural suburban feel but is growing rapidly and will soon have it's own shopping/dining area: Newbury Market. South Fayette has much higher property taxes in comparison to Moon, West Allegheny, and Montour. Do you have a budget?

Old 04-24-2016, 08:22 PM

Thanks for your replies. I would say my most important thing is enough kids in the neighborhood. I want my kids to have friends nearby. My daughter is into singing / choir so if a school has such a program that would be great. Also opportunities for soccer would be good. Other than that I am looking for the usual safe and family-friendly neighborhood. My home budget would be 350k. Hope this makes sense.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:11 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,215 times
It makes sense, but there's a lot of that in the general area you're describing. The biggest questions now are how much space you want for the $350k, how you feel about driving vs. walking to stuff, and how long of a drive you are willing to make to work. The airport is nicely situated for a lot of cool neighborhoods, many of which have good schools and other family-friendly amenities.

If I were in your shoes I would look at Crafton and Crafton Heights -- though I am a bit fuzzy on exact city lines, I mean the area along the Steubenville pike. Mt Lebanon is also great but probably (?) a longer commute, and the areas like Bethel Park and Upper St Clair are a little too sleepy for me, but lots of people love it. Moon is nice too, but I like the somewhat more quirky vibe around Crafton.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
It makes sense, but there's a lot of that in the general area you're describing. The biggest questions now are how much space you want for the $350k, how you feel about driving vs. walking to stuff, and how long of a drive you are willing to make to work. The airport is nicely situated for a lot of cool neighborhoods, many of which have good schools and other family-friendly amenities.

If I were in your shoes I would look at Crafton and Crafton Heights -- though I am a bit fuzzy on exact city lines, I mean the area along the Steubenville pike. Mt Lebanon is also great but probably (?) a longer commute, and the areas like Bethel Park and Upper St Clair are a little too sleepy for me, but lots of people love it. Moon is nice too, but I like the somewhat more quirky vibe around Crafton.
Avoid Crafton heights. Crafton is a great area but the school district is average. I forgot about moon. There has been plenty of discussions about upper st clair and mt lebanon if you do a search you can get a good idea of their differences. South Fayette has alot of good qualities but its taxes are high.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:02 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Avoid Crafton heights. Crafton is a great area but the school district is average. I forgot about moon. There has been plenty of discussions about upper st clair and mt lebanon if you do a search you can get a good idea of their differences. South Fayette has alot of good qualities but its taxes are high.
I get confused about the exact neighborhood lines out that way, sorry. Isn't there a nice school district back there? Maybe Carlynton?

Old 04-25-2016, 05:00 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post

If I were in your shoes I would look at Crafton and Crafton Heights -- though I am a bit fuzzy on exact city lines, I mean the area along the Steubenville pike. .

Steubenville Pike starts on the far side of the Thornburg Bridge and is all in robinson township.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh