Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 08:09 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDiFiore View Post
When I walk around town, I expect motorist to follow the rules ... but I never TRUST them to. A car, truck, SUV, or even a bike will jack you up. It may be the law, but I'll place my trust entirely in my own ability to assess the potential danger at each crossing each and every time.

Likewise, when I drive around, I keep my eye out for pedestrians ... because if I hit one, I could easily kill him or her.

This isn't a "them versus us" problem. This is a primal survival problem that should have been thoroughly ingrained in each and every one of us through millennia of natural selection.

Likewise, but I see it the other way as well. I always yield to peds, but I am amazed how people look at the light and just go without checking traffic. Whatever happened to Look both Ways before Crossing? I remember that poster like yesterday. Even at the malls(where we suburbanites always shop) I have to shake my head when people walk without looking and ASSUME the car will slow down or stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 08:18 AM

Location: Close to Pittsburgh, but NOT Pittsburgh ('cause I don't pay CoP taxes)
252 posts, read 236,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Likewise, but I see it the other way as well. I always yield to peds, but I am amazed how people look at the light and just go without checking traffic. Whatever happened to Look both Ways before Crossing? I remember that poster like yesterday. Even at the malls(where we suburbanites always shop) I have to shake my head when people walk without looking and ASSUME the car will slow down or stop.
Look both ways before crossing? Heck, I look all four ways before crossing. Every. Single. Time. I know I may look like a provincial rube, but I prefer to be a living, breathing provincial rube.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:20 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDiFiore View Post
Look both ways before crossing? Heck, I look all four ways before crossing. Every. Single. Time. I know I may look like a provincial rube, but I prefer to be a living, breathing provincial rube.
Yep. Learning how to safely cross the street is usually the first lesson one learns.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:25 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Why does no one in Pittsburgh stop for pedestrians? I've never been anywhere where drivers were less likely to honor crosswalks without stoplights or signs.
Pittsburgh drivers don't honor crosswalks when there are signs and lights. I was yelled at last Monday for crossing when I had the right of way. It's not the first time.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:42 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Pittsburgh drivers don't honor crosswalks when there are signs and lights. I was yelled at last Monday for crossing when I had the right of way. It's not the first time.
My favorite is when the car that did wait for me to cross legally when I have the right of way gets honked at by the car behind them.

I once saw somebody do that do a crossing guard. I got to sit there and laugh while he got yelled at by her until the light changed. Really what excuse did he have for not noticing a uniformed crossing guard and a couple of very little kids. There's no way somebody paying attention wouldn't have seen them even with the other car in between.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:24 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
My favorite is when the car that did wait for me to cross legally when I have the right of way gets honked at by the car behind them.

I once saw somebody do that do a crossing guard. I got to sit there and laugh while he got yelled at by her until the light changed. Really what excuse did he have for not noticing a uniformed crossing guard and a couple of very little kids. There's no way somebody paying attention wouldn't have seen them even with the other car in between.
Here's their excuse, "I'm a selfish moron who's time is more important than yours, how dare you cross in front of me whilst I'm piloting my luxo-barge"

Old 04-28-2016, 12:30 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post

This issue of getting honked at by the car behind me for yielding to pedestrians prior to making my turn out of the way of the flow of traffic behind me has been worsening. My guess? Every driver picks up their device when the light turns red, and then when the light turns green they can't understand why the car in front of them isn't turning immediately because they were distracted and didn't see any pedestrians approaching the crosswalk. Needless to say some of the heated verbal exchanges I've been having with drivers behind me have been epic.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:57 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Drivers should be careful, particularly on your busy and fast city streets. Ditto for pedestrians. We'd had a few bad accidents here in L'ville, including pedestrians being killed.

Just be aware out there.
Foster Street is especially awful in Lawrenceville because people try to gun it up and down the street to justify it being a shortcut instead of taking Butler Street.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:27 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Here's their excuse, "I'm a selfish moron who's time is more important than yours, how dare you cross in front of me whilst I'm piloting my luxo-barge"
I'm sure drivers say the same thing when pedestrians and cyclists run out in front of them instead of crossing properly. If/when everyone follows the rules there won't be any issues.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:50 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
If you take the crosswalk, 95% of people will honor it. If you're standing on the curb waiting for drivers to give you the crosswalk, you'll be waiting there until you die.
I rather die waiting than at the hands of a inconsiderate driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh