Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 05:55 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times

Advertisements

^^^^^This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 02:42 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
Folks, as the thread continues remember to remain calm and respectful.
Yac.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:17 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
Panhandlers are dangerous? Come on! There's a difference between a guy looking for handouts at the red light and a guy about to attempt a carjacking and if you can't tell the difference then you haven't been around much. Look, there are people who truly are down on their luck, like the old man outside of McDonanlds in Oakland who I have purchased food for on a number of occasions. Then there are the guys like the "door men" outside of the Upstage back in the late 80's and early 90's who had decent day jobs but would tell people otherwise. If people want to give that's great, if you don't want to give at least be a man about it and politely tell them your reason not to.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:50 AM

432 posts, read 359,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
If people want to give that's great, if you don't want to give at least be a man about it and politely tell them your reason not to.
"No, sorry, because of course I have a quarter I don't need as much as you might, but I'd rather spend it on a fifteenth of my next latte; and because I give to charity and pay taxes and I think that's enough; and because I don't want to subsidize your bad choices, past or future; and because I don't want to establish a demeaning relationship with another human in which they beg from me every time we meet and I give when I feel like it and refuse when I wish; and because I'm afraid that you might be lying to me about your situation and I don't want to be played for a fool; and besides because you keep bugging me and I'm not going to encourage behavior that doesn't please me"?

I sure could do, and it would all be true, but it would seem a waste of their time, especially for those who ask me every day, and I'm not sure that it would be appreciated.

I am quite sure, however, that politely saying "No, sir (ma'am)" instead is neither increasing nor decreasing my genderhood.

Thanks for your concern, though.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:52 AM

This^^^^^

Old 05-06-2016, 09:57 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pughnose View Post
"No, sorry, because of course I have a quarter I don't need as much as you might, but I'd rather spend it on a fifteenth of my next latte; and because I give to charity and pay taxes and I think that's enough; and because I don't want to subsidize your bad choices, past or future; and because I don't want to establish a demeaning relationship with another human in which they beg from me every time we meet and I give when I feel like it and refuse when I wish; and because I'm afraid that you might be lying to me about your situation and I don't want to be played for a fool; and besides because you keep bugging me and I'm not going to encourage behavior that doesn't please me"?

I sure could do, and it would all be true, but it would seem a waste of their time, especially for those who ask me every day, and I'm not sure that it would be appreciated.

I am quite sure, however, that politely saying "No, sir (ma'am)" instead is neither increasing nor decreasing my genderhood.

Thanks for your concern, though.
Actually a simple, I can't today sir will do. Or a, I have no cash on me, or I am broke too brother... Not rocket science man.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Actually a simple, I can't today sir will do. Or a, I have no cash on me, or I am broke too brother... Not rocket science man.
How is that helping the situation?

What have you done to help get them on their feet?

Old 05-06-2016, 10:32 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Continually giving the Scamhandles money only serves to keep them entrenched in their current "occupation". If you have to give them something, then give them a bottle of water and some food of some sort instead of money. Believe it or not, some will refuse because they want money to buy a bottle of booze or possibly something else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggressive_panhandling

Currently I have a letter sitting on my desk from a rescue mission in the community where I own a home. I plan to donate some more money to them this month. Organizations like this and the Salvation Army (and most local churches) are best equipped to help the truly needy.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:36 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,508 times
It's pretty amusing that the same exact posters who are always falling back on the "you can't tell others how to spend their money"-line have absolutely NO problem pronouncing judgment based upon their weak assumptions about the motivations of both panhandlers and the people that give to them. Paternalism is back in vogue, I guess.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
It's pretty amusing that the same exact posters who are always falling back on the "you can't tell others how to spend their money"-line have absolutely NO problem pronouncing judgment based upon their weak assumptions about the motivations of both panhandlers and the people that give to them. Paternalism is back in vogue, I guess.
People get scammed everyday. Some of us choose not to be one of them.

I'll happily donate to charities where those truly in need will benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh