Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 08:43 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,708,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Pittsburgh's homeless community is very well aware of the free meals available at the Jubilee Kitchen every lunch time, the free bag lunches at the Red Door in town, the free meals at the Light of Life on the North Side and all of the other social services that are available. If the homeless individual is 60+, the city feeds seniors at the South Side Markethouse and other locations every work day.

Maybe you aren't but they certainly are, there are very few truly starving people out there. Not to say that it isn't a struggle to be without cash, but there is a sufficient amount of free food out there that starvation isn't much of a peril out there in Pittsburgh
How could you possibly know what every homeless or other person may or may not be aware of or comprehend? How can you possibly pontificate on the number of hungry children or people "out there in Pittsburgh?" Is this another mindless statement/argument in an attempt to mislead others into believing that Pittsburgh does not have problems? I respectfully beg to disagree with you regarding hunger, people in distress and need, and the increase that is on the upswing in our city and country and which appears to be directly related to the tough economic times and climate that I say again, "are real"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 08:49 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
How could you possibly know what every homeless or other person may or may not be aware of or comprehend? How can you possibly pontificate on the number of hungry children or people "out there in Pittsburgh?" Is this another mindless statement/argument in an attempt to mislead others into believing that Pittsburgh does not have problems? I respectfully beg to disagree with you regarding hunger, people in distress and need, and the increase that is on the upswing in our city and country and which appears to be directly related to the tough economic times and climate that I say again, "are real"
If you think its a problem, go ahead and give them your money.

Its yours, you earned it, do what you want with it- and if it makes you feel good giving a good piece of it to Pittsburgh's bum community, be my guest. Its important to feel good about yourself, so for you it isn't a waste of money at all.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:52 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,708,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
If you think its a problem, go ahead and give them your money.

Its yours, you earned it, do what you want with it- and if it makes you feel good giving a good piece of it to Pittsburgh's bum community, be my guest. Its important to feel good about yourself, so for you it isn't a waste of money at all.
In no way did I suggest that you, or anyone else, must do something. I know you "know that", as "you also know" my argument is with your sweeping generalizations about no one starving or food always being available in Pittsburgh!

Last edited by corpgypsy; 05-01-2016 at 09:06 AM..

Old 05-01-2016, 09:05 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Because they go up to windows of cars at traffic lights, tap on the windows, refuse to move along to the next car, hold the change bucket in peoples faces. Not everyone Has their windows up and most people don't have time to prepare for a confrontation with these people. I am a strong stubborn man who is not intimidated by anyone but my wife is not like me at all, she has said that they make her nervous. That is the reason why I questioned them when I did. I don't understand why the suburban police departments don't run them off, they must fill out a legitimate permit to solicit in those areas.

One day you will see them out collecting and you will know what I am talking about.
I've seen people collecting, with either buckets or signs at traffic lights.
I guess it's just a matter of maintaining situational awareness to make sure the windows are up, doors are locked, etc. I just don't acknowledge them and keep a very stern look on my face.
Nobody has ever tapped on my windows - if they did so more than once, I'd probably pull out my phone and show them I'm typing 911 into it.. and if after that, they tried to block my progress out of the area I'd be fully prepared to hit one with my car if they were blocking me into a threatening situation.

But maybe I'm different, those viewpoints stem from military training and they never really seem to go away.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:06 AM

6,341 posts, read 11,087,268 times
Believe it or not, a lot of those panhandlers are anything but poor. Many actually hold jobs and panhandling is a means of generating part time income.

When I was in Indianapolis, at least twice I saw two panhandlers getting picked up by people in cars that they apparently knew at the end of their "shift". LOL While some of the panhandlers are genuinely down on their luck, way too many are just taking advantage of people that care and want to help. Be careful.

Old 05-01-2016, 11:41 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
I wish the police would go and try to stop it again. It really isn't a benefit to anyone (including the people who are panhandling) and sends a bad vibe to people not familiar with the area.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:54 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,304 times
This was a topic that really bothered me when first moved into the city. I even made a thread about it.
//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...rrel-hill.html

These days I mostly ignore them. Very occasionally I will give a little to one that looks like they are not a "regular" and might actually need some help. Most of them are just professional bums as far as I can tell. If someone is busking I am more likely to give them something since they are actually doing something to earn a few bucks, like the woman who plays violin at the Manor or a young guy I see now and then playing guitar in Oakland.

I hate ignoring people too but sadly it is probably for the best in most cases.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:07 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
I'm sorry poor people asking for money bothers you guys so much. I suggest you admit you don't care about these people and ignore them or pressure your elected officials to pass laws that prevent homelessness. But, absolutely nothing makes you look petty, week and spineless like complaining about the way beggars make YOU feel.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:37 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I'm sorry poor people asking for money bothers you guys so much. I suggest you admit you don't care about these people and ignore them or pressure your elected officials to pass laws that prevent homelessness. But, absolutely nothing makes you look petty, week and spineless like complaining about the way beggars make YOU feel.
So you give $1 to 10-15 people per day, correct?

Old 05-02-2016, 10:21 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I agree. If I have a dollar I will give. If I do not have a dollar I will politely decline. Its really a non issue. I also will buy food for the homeless if I see them while getting lunch for myself. Many of these people suffer from mental illness and truly need help. Who am I to judge? I am one layoff away from homelessness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh