Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 01:29 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,707,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Yeah, I've heard plenty of BS from Panhandlers too. Like the two that claimed after I gave them a few dollars that they would repay me. LOL
I find that sadly touching. ( NOT THE LOL) Possibly, they really wanted to. Possibly, they expressed that, in an effort to maintain some dignity. I can't imagine how it must feel to have to ask for help in such a humiliating way as panhandling. Truly wretchedly depressing!

Last edited by corpgypsy; 05-03-2016 at 01:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 02:06 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
I gave .25 to a panhandler today in the name of guy2073, and .25 in the name of WILW Radio.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:28 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I gave .25 to a panhandler today in the name of guy2073, and .25 in the name of WILW Radio.
At least I was more generous than that until I woke up and realized they are nothing more than con artists.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:52 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Thank you, I am sure their life is much better now.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:55 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
If those that feel that these people really need help and would take a job, have you tried to get them a job? "Teach a man to fish..."

Old 05-03-2016, 03:00 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
If those that feel that these people really need help and would take a job, have you tried to get them a job? "Teach a man to fish..."
That requires effort

Old 05-05-2016, 04:00 PM

605 posts, read 490,892 times
For those people claiming that panhandlers are likely to be scam artists--how do you define that, exactly? That they're misrepresenting the real 'reason' they need the money? That's they're not as bad off as they claim to be, economically? If 'yes' being the answer to either of those is sufficient to render a beggar a scam artist in your book, well, your book is different from mine. So they have a drug problem and a low-rent housing situation rather than being legitimately hungry and homeless. Let's assume that's true in many instances. Those circumstances are still the furthest thing from ideal. The only way that I'd consider a panhandler to be truly scamming is if they were wealthy and doing it for sport. Such people have to represent such an exceedingly low percentage of all panhandlers that one wonders if someone meeting that description even exists (NY sociology prof who did the famous NYC subway experiment notwithstanding).

For what it's worth, I'm from Buffalo but was in Pittsburgh yesterday for a baseball game with my father, neighbor, and neighbor's friend. This is an annual tradition; what is not typically part of said tradition is the walk my dad and I took around the Hill District yesterday late afternoon. Much like Buffalo, Pittsburgh has a lot of people who need help economically. To think that panhandling is the worst of the possible options of 'obtaining' that help (as opposed to say armed robbery or drug dealing) is to be incredibly myopic and perhaps be guilty of being a military guy from Etna who somehow feels threatened by a bucket-wielding beggar tapping on the sealed window of his two-ton potential killing machine. Just an absurd perspective and failure to consider the 'life options' available to many people. Many of your fellow humans.

To the military guy from Etna: rather than relying on the implied threat of potential police presence, roll down your windows next time and say no yourself, at the very least. That alone is a significant step to take in the effort to lift oneself out of your current cowardly life situation, and I will congratulate you if you are able to honestly report that you were able to pull it off.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:08 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcnkwcz View Post
For those people claiming that panhandlers are likely to be scam artists--how do you define that, exactly? That they're misrepresenting the real 'reason' they need the money? That's they're not as bad off as they claim to be, economically? If 'yes' being the answer to either of those is sufficient to render a beggar a scam artist in your book, well, your book is different from mine. So they have a drug problem and a low-rent housing situation rather than being legitimately hungry and homeless. Let's assume that's true in many instances. Those circumstances are still the furthest thing from ideal. The only way that I'd consider a panhandler to be truly scamming is if they were wealthy and doing it for sport. Such people have to represent such an exceedingly low percentage of all panhandlers that one wonders if someone meeting that description even exists (NY sociology prof who did the famous NYC subway experiment notwithstanding).

For what it's worth, I'm from Buffalo but was in Pittsburgh yesterday for a baseball game with my father, neighbor, and neighbor's friend. This is an annual tradition; what is not typically part of said tradition is the walk my dad and I took around the Hill District yesterday late afternoon. Much like Buffalo, Pittsburgh has a lot of people who need help economically. To think that panhandling is the worst of the possible options of 'obtaining' that help (as opposed to say armed robbery or drug dealing) is to be incredibly myopic and perhaps be guilty of being a military guy from Etna who somehow feels threatened by a bucket-wielding beggar tapping on the sealed window of his two-ton potential killing machine. Just an absurd perspective and failure to consider the 'life options' available to many people. Many of your fellow humans.

To the military guy from Etna: rather than relying on the implied threat of potential police presence, roll down your windows next time and say no yourself, at the very least. That alone is a significant step to take in the effort to lift oneself out of your current cowardly life situation, and I will congratulate you if you are able to honestly report that you were able to pull it off.
What have you done to help them?

Potential 2 ton killing machine? How do you travel?

Old 05-05-2016, 04:19 PM

605 posts, read 490,892 times
Make eye contact, be respectful, give money when I can. If I were wealthy I'd do more. Once in Buffalo I let a guy sleep in my car rather than outside in the freezing cold. He was initially pretty threatening to anyone he encountered (including me) but ultimately was really appreciative (and interesting to talk to, especially as the vodka wore off). I drove him to a friend's house the next morning. There's another guy in Buffalo I semi-befriended. He wasn't homeless (I use the past tense because I haven't seen him in a few years and fear he may have died; he wasn't in good health) but was barely scraping by, selling scarves and handbags on the street for cash. Former musician; probably had a higher IQ than most of his customers. It's not much. I just hate the contempt/disregard that most people show.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:19 PM

255 posts, read 284,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcnkwcz View Post
I hope my second post clarified it for you. Obviously the 'walk on by without acknowledgement' response is the most common. I saw it yesterday firsthand. It's disappointing but expected.
Okay, yeah didn't read the second post until now. I'm not giving anyone any money and I think doing so just encourages more to beg. I think they should be arrested for solicitation. They want help then go to a food bank or the million other charities out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh