Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 08:01 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Oddly enough although the national and local economy have supposedly been improving since 2010, when I moved here, I've found myself encountering active (being asked for money while pumping gas or walking into a restaurant) and passive (people, sometimes accompanied by dogs, standing with cardboard signs near congested offramps and intersections) on a much more frequent basis today than I did back then. This isn't meant to come off as a harsh "I don't want to deal with other people's problems" rant; however, if I gave even just $1 to every person who actively or passively begged me for money in this city each day I'd be so broke I'd be right beside them.

With that being said, how are you all coping with the uptick of panhandling/vagrancy here? Do you all give $1 each time you pass by someone or are approached by someone? Do you say "Sorry, I don't have cash on me"? Do you ignore them? Perhaps I'm in a more unique position than most (all?) of you because I don't just follow the routine of "leave house, go to work for eight hours at one location, go home." I'm out and about in various neighborhoods and various merchants/restaurants EACH HOUR and run into about a dozen situations like this daily. Yesterday I was having a very rough day enduring worse-than-normal traffic congestion and thought I'd treat myself to a half-price mocha frappucino from Starbucks. On my way in a man asked me if I could spare any change. I immediately said "Sorry. I don't have any cash on me" and entered the establishment. While ordering I felt badly thinking I was going to be chugging a $2.50 luxury drink while that man sat out in the cold, so I found one of my "spare dollars" that I use to occasionally tip nice restaurant staff when picking up orders and handed it to him. He said "God Bless You", and I said "Thanks! You too!' It made me feel good inside; however, I don't make enough money to do this ALL the time, AND roughly 50% of my encounters then proceed with a "got any more?" instead of a "thank you" or "God bless you."

What would you do in my position? Intentionally antagonistic answers from East Enders who just say "check your privilege" without offering anything helpful will be ignored. If the economy is robust, as Hillary Clinton's supporters are telling Bernie's supporters that it is, then why the uptick in panhandling here? Thanks!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 04-30-2016 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: Typo!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 08:19 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
If the economy is robust, as Hillary Clinton's supporters are telling Bernie's supporters that it is, then why the uptick in panhandling here? Thanks!

The two observations aren't related, a robust economy and increased panhandling activity are independent of each other.

Panhandlers are interested in scoping out locations where people are cool with it and have plenty of spare change. Also, places that are easy to get to. I worked in town during the last PAT strike when Masloff was mayor. A lot of panhandlers, could not go out of the office without encounter 2 or 3 aggressive panhandlers within a block. The strike made it a lot more difficult for the panhandling community to get to town, most of those folks take public transit, and there were very few during that time.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:18 AM

436 posts, read 343,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

With that being said, how are you all coping with the uptick of panhandling/vagrancy here?!

I simply walk on by. Was it worth typing this long of a post over something so simple? Good God

Old 04-30-2016, 10:03 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,493 times
I've noticed an upswing too. I work downtown - there's quite a lot on Smithfield St, Fourth Avenue, and Forbes. Frankly, it gets repetitive - I literally see the same people standing in the same spot everyday. I don't carry cash, but return their greetings, tell them I don't carry cash and engage them as a human being if they engage me directly. Even if I did carry cash, it's very hard to feel bad for people who seemingly aren't making much effort to help themselves.

I wouldn't feel bad if I were you about not giving money. You seem like a very social guy and you often seem stressed about your own financial situation - if you want to give back to society and see the faces of people you're directly helping, my advice would be to volunteer for an organization in the community instead of giving money to panhandlers directly.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:04 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busterbrown3783 View Post
No way Pittsburgh can absorb 15 dollar an hour minimum wage either.
If only the idiots on City Council would get that memo..

Old 04-30-2016, 10:07 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Giving money to panhandlers is probably one of the worst ways to help the homeless IMO.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:11 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
I was just having this conversation last night; most definitely a marked increase in panhandlers.

The fact however is that they wouldn't be panhandling if it didn't work; if people would understand that giving money to organizations that can help those that are truly needy was much more effective than giving it to those whom you know nothing about the issue would go away & everyone would be better off.

Perhaps the city can install these near popular panhandler locations

Old 04-30-2016, 10:14 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
There's only one person I give money to, a guy who sits in front of the building next to the Centre Avenue Market District. I pass him by about half the time when I shop there, and sometimes I give him a dollar, or maybe a quarter. Or sometimes I don't have any money to give him. He seems to have mental issues, so I don't mind giving him money. I don't know what I'd do if I ran into as many panhandlers as you do, probably walk by with a smile and a "sorry." (I also wonder how you're doing, SCR, when I'm out in bumper-to-bumper East End traffic, which seems at least 12/7 lately.)

I guess it depends on one's world view, but it doesn't occur to me that someone begging for money is doing so because he doesn't want to make an effort to help himself. Rather, I figure such a person has no other choice.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:25 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
If only the idiots on City Council would get that memo..
It really doesn't make a difference, Pennsylvania law doesn't give municipalities the authority to have their own local minimum wages.

Just as well, the hiring of bureaucrats to administer this kind of law would bust the city's budget.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:34 AM

404 posts, read 457,148 times
I have started giving when I can. I used to totally blow them off. Most are good peopl with few options and you can pick out the ones that could be working. I make good money, what's a few dollars going to hurt me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh