Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 06:10 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
I've been coveting that house for years. It's one of the few houses in the neighborhood where the addition made the house look better. I had a little pity party for myself when it went on the market but I couldn't afford it.
seems like homes are turning fast even outside of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 02:01 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,209 times
Hey OP, if you're still looking for a property check this one out -- last I heard they wanted $250k for it, which is on the high end of your range but it's not in terrible shape and it comes with a liquor license and a parking lot, and it's a great location at 919 Spring Garden on the North side. Close to Penn Brewery and Wigle Barrelhouse, good bus connections to everywhere, and there's a local developer fixing up Chestnut Street at this very moment, so the potential is amazing.

I know there's a better way to attach photos but I never quite figured it out, but hopefully you can still open this attachment and see the phone number...

Interesting Buildings for sale?-bierhaussm.jpg

Old 05-19-2016, 09:01 PM

288 posts, read 511,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Hey OP, if you're still looking for a property check this one out -- last I heard they wanted $250k for it, which is on the high end of your range but it's not in terrible shape and it comes with a liquor license and a parking lot, and it's a great location at 919 Spring Garden on the North side. Close to Penn Brewery and Wigle Barrelhouse, good bus connections to everywhere, and there's a local developer fixing up Chestnut Street at this very moment, so the potential is amazing.

I know there's a better way to attach photos but I never quite figured it out, but hopefully you can still open this attachment and see the phone number...

Attachment 169849
I'd hate to be the guy that bought it and sold off its parts- I've got not interest in opening a bar at the moment.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post
I'd hate to be the guy that bought it and sold off its parts- I've got not interest in opening a bar at the moment.
Ah, OK -- aside from "commercial property" I wasn't sure what you actually wanted to do with the storefront space. I'm sure the right person will come along for this one before too much longer...

Old 05-24-2016, 01:00 PM

Any insight on the Old Allegheny Rows Historic District? Saw a place on Brighton Place I'm interested in.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:45 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Any insight on the Old Allegheny Rows Historic District? Saw a place on Brighton Place I'm interested in.
I think I know the building you're interested in.

Last I heard Brighton Place is still rough even though it's only two short blocks away from some of the most gentrified portions of the Mexican War Streets. Over half of the houses left standing are owned by one property owner - Bob Mistick. He keeps his buildings in pretty good condition, but they are all currently Section 8 rentals. I presume that at some point he will either sell or convert to market rate, but until that happens, I don't foresee much gentrification on Brighton Place.

Last edited by eschaton; 05-24-2016 at 02:12 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I think I know the building you're interested in.

Last I heard Brighton Place is still rough even though it's only two short blocks away from some of the most gentrified portions of the Mexican War Streets. Over half of the houses left standing are owned by one property owner - Bob Mistick. He keeps his buildings in pretty good condition, but they are all currently Section 8 rentals. I presume that at some point he will either sell or cash out, but until that happens, I don't forsee much gentrification on Brighton Place.
Disappointing, because some of the houses are beautiful.

It's this one by the way:
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_11917912/

Old 05-24-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Disappointing, because some of the houses are beautiful.

It's this one by the way:
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_11917912/
OP, tell us again what the real goal is here? It's an interesting location, caught between three areas -- posh (Mexican War Streets), slowly improving and quite livable (Manchester), and somewhat dicey (Cali-Kirkbride). I don't think it's a bad investment if you're looking to stick around for 10-15 years, but it's not going to be a quick flip by any means. Personally I would take a very hard look at the location, because it's so close to the Mattress Factory, the new Commonplace coffee location, and the incoming War Streets Brewery -- in other words the Mexican War Streets are doing well, and so I think their fringes are likely to improve rather than go downhill. Eschaton has a good point about all the section 8 rentals, but even so I think those will increasingly become rough patches in an overall good neighborhood. I'm an optimist, I know, but so are a lot of the people buying up the Northside right now.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
OP, tell us again what the real goal is here? It's an interesting location, caught between three areas -- posh (Mexican War Streets), slowly improving and quite livable (Manchester), and somewhat dicey (Cali-Kirkbride). I don't think it's a bad investment if you're looking to stick around for 10-15 years, but it's not going to be a quick flip by any means. Personally I would take a very hard look at the location, because it's so close to the Mattress Factory, the new Commonplace coffee location, and the incoming War Streets Brewery -- in other words the Mexican War Streets are doing well, and so I think their fringes are likely to improve rather than go downhill. Eschaton has a good point about all the section 8 rentals, but even so I think those will increasingly become rough patches in an overall good neighborhood. I'm an optimist, I know, but so are a lot of the people buying up the Northside right now.
The goal is a sizable home that needs a complete remodel that we can also incorporate a separate living space, be it in-law suite or totally separate unit.

I may have to drive through the area to get a feel for it.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:21 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
The goal is a sizable home that needs a complete remodel that we can also incorporate a separate living space, be it in-law suite or totally separate unit.

I may have to drive through the area to get a feel for it.
I didn't see you were planning to live in the space as well. That being the case I think it is more doable. Particularly since you're looking at airbnb and not a traditional rental. People local to the area would likely be wary to rent there, but out-of-towners would have no issue staying there for a few days I would think.

I dunno how the internal rooms are laid out, but if there was a rear stairwell I would turn the back section of the ell into a mini-rowhouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh