Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 01:30 PM

994 posts, read 902,395 times

Advertisements

I am looking for additional varieties of compost to use in my garden.

Here is what I have tried.

Some local stores like Whole Foods and Soergel's sell Coast of Maine lobster compost. I have this and I like it.

Lowes sells organic mushroom compost. I have this and I like it.

Lowes and Home Depot usually have cow manure compost. I have tried this and it is fine.

I have tried the AgRecycle compost purchased via a local garden center, and did not like it.

In the past I have found shrimp compost and seaweed compost at a hydroponic store in Cranberry. I like this compost but I don't think it is currently sold there.

I would love to find more sources for compost. Has anyone been able to find quality compost besides what I listed above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 01:40 PM

4,179 posts, read 2,966,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
I am looking for additional varieties of compost to use in my garden.

Here is what I have tried.

Some local stores like Whole Foods and Soergel's sell Coast of Maine lobster compost. I have this and I like it.

Lowes sells organic mushroom compost. I have this and I like it.

Lowes and Home Depot usually have cow manure compost. I have tried this and it is fine.

I have tried the AgRecycle compost purchased via a local garden center, and did not like it.

In the past I have found shrimp compost and seaweed compost at a hydroponic store in Cranberry. I like this compost but I don't think it is currently sold there.

I would love to find more sources for compost. Has anyone been able to find quality compost besides what I listed above?
I make my own compost using Starbucks coffee grinds, fall foliage, egg shells, and potato skins.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I make my own compost using Starbucks coffee grinds, fall foliage, egg shells, and potato skins.
Nice. I am in the process of doing so, with limited success so far. Need to get the ratios right.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:50 PM

4,179 posts, read 2,966,817 times
Quote:
Nice. I am in the process of doing so, with limited success so far. Need to get the ratios right.
It took me years to get it right. One year I thought a horse died in my back yard. Never ever add onions to the mix. I have learned that less is more. I use mostly leaves and small sticks. I add coffee grinds over time. I add lots of egg shells but limit the potato skins. I was told by an older neighbor to add grass clippings for nitrogen.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:09 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,594,417 times
Rolling Hills Ranch on Hickory Grade road in Bridgeville has a very large compost heap of horse manure. At the bottom is some very nice rich black soil that has been composting for several years. Many of the local greenhouses and gardeners drive in for a bucketload or several tons of the stuff. And it's FREE.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:23 PM

778 posts, read 841,368 times
You need to make friends with some chicken owners.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:30 PM

432 posts, read 360,712 times
Quote:
Why not, please? I was planning to get a truckload of their 30% compost dirt delivered for my back yard.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:34 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,610,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
You need to make friends with some chicken owners.
Ugh. Horse leavings smell better.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pughnose View Post
Why not, please? I was planning to get a truckload of their 30% compost dirt delivered for my back yard.
It just was not very composty, if that makes sense. I bought it last year at Sestili's in Oakland and it was closer to a mulch blend with large chunks of sticks throughout. I see that ArRecycle has different compost versions on their website, some of it screened. The stuff I bought just said "compost" so maybe I got one of their non screened versions. I will need to stop by Sestili again and check to see if they have different versions.

Let us know how it goes if you get that compost.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:57 AM

140 posts, read 166,525 times
If you're in the suburbs, I know that some of them shred tree branches (mulch) & compost autumn leaves (compost).. These are generally available cheap or free to residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh