Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2016, 10:27 AM

290 posts, read 366,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Hammer meet nail!
My recommendation also applies to anyone miserable in Pittsburgh. Or anywhere. It's ALWAYS applicable.

Of course, as before, some individuals are apparently getting off on wallowing, or at least perceive it offers SOME benefit that outweighs making a change that could actually make them happy.

Remember that teacher's voice on Charlie Brown?
The "wah wah" trombone sound?

That's what I think of when I encounter the same outraged rants from the same people blaming the same things for their misery. City data's only the start. I no longer read social media status updates from friends who act like this. Who the hell wants to hear the 800th tantrum on the same topic, they're doomed, life is sh1t, there's no use...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 10:31 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.BadGuy View Post
My recommendation also applies to anyone miserable in Pittsburgh. Or anywhere. It's ALWAYS applicable.

Of course, as before, some individuals are apparently getting off on wallowing, or at least perceive it offers SOME benefit that outweighs making a change that could actually make them happy.

Remember that teacher's voice on Charlie Brown?
The "wah wah" trombone sound?

That's what I think of when I read the same outraged rants from the same people blaming the same things for their misery.
Couldn't agree more...but some people will never be happy no matter where they are. "Wallowing" and being concerned with how everyone else lives, what everyone else has, and what they don't is just a way of life. The criticism to those of us that choose to find a better for us place to live is quite boggling. It's like a misery loves company scenario and everyone is supposed to share in everyone's problems.

Last edited by erieguy; 05-15-2016 at 10:42 AM..

Old 05-16-2016, 04:37 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
I guess one of my largest gripes is that I don't see the city headed in a truly sustainable direction, and it's painful for me to see. As one of those younger folks who moved back recently (2013) I feel tricked. Lots of folks are talking about the city's future, holding conferences about it, patting one another on the back about it, traveling to other cities to see what makes them so great, etc, but in reality there are some very key things that need to be fixed, which I don't see truly getting addressed.
The system won't allow my to "like" your post.

Yeah, I moved here a little earlier and experienced the energy that was in Pittsburgh. Everyone was exited about the growth and expansion of Pittsburgh until the Federal funds dried up. Then...nothing. The newbie transplants are sitting around waiting for stuff to happen (example: public transportation) and it never does.

My friends and co-workers have left the city in the last 2-3 years for specific reasons. Bring it up or or any other problem or mention a borough outside the city limits and I am instantly labeled a troll. I'm a walker. I just chalk up this forum's attitude to the local drivers. Being in here is like being on the city streets.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:13 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Hey, our new motto: Pittsburgh, at least it's not Detroit.
Or we could Pittsburghize it: The 'burg, at we least we ain't like them jagoffs in Detroit, n'at.

I don't think pessimism is found in any specific city or region of the country. It's all on the individual. I'm sure someone living in San Diego is moaning about something. Personally, I don't have any pessimistic friends, I don't see the so-called Pgh attitude that some posters complain about. You can make a good life just about anywhere you want if you work hard to achieve it.
Yeah, but you need to clarify "work hard". I'm sure there are people working 60 hours who work harder than I do at my desk job. People keep getting told success is about hard work, and it IS, but at my job it's also about taking time to learn everything you can about a technical problem that other people dismissed as unsolvable, or finding and fixing some flaw in the process that other people never noticed, or driving a couple hours to a client site when it's not in your job description. In general it's also about noticing a better job opening than the one you have and jumping on it, maybe even one with a longer commute, if you can see it paying off in the long run. I don't have company loyalty blinding me, I've seen the axe fall on too many hard workers.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:19 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Yeah, but you need to clarify "work hard". I'm sure there are people working 60 hours who work harder than I do at my desk job. People keep getting told success is about hard work, and it IS, but at my job it's also about taking time to learn everything you can about a technical problem that other people dismissed as unsolvable, or finding and fixing some flaw in the process that other people never noticed, or driving a couple hours to a client site when it's not in your job description. In general it's also about noticing a better job opening than the one you have and jumping on it, maybe even one with a longer commute, if you can see it paying off in the long run. I don't have company loyalty blinding me, I've seen the axe fall on too many hard workers.

Could not agree more.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:47 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,283,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
"hard work" is becoming one of the biggest copouts for ignoring many problems in society.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:52 AM

778 posts, read 840,151 times
I'm pretty sure the waitresses at Eat n Park are working a good deal harder than I am working right now.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:18 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
The idea that "hard work" alone will get you so much in this society has turned into somewhat of a sham.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:25 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
To lighten it all up, this thread reminded me of a quote from a Christmas classic...

[after Clark fails at lighting all the exterior Christmas lights at the "lighting ceremony" in front of the entire family]
Frances: Talk about p*ssing your money away. I hope you kids see what a silly waste of resources this was.
Audrey: He worked really hard, Grandma.
Art: So do washing machines.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:37 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
37 posts deleted later, not counting the posts from the troll, I feel I have to remind you all not to respond to him. You're putting a lot of effort into debating with someone who is not interested in listening. You can't convince him, his mind is made up. And your posts will get deleted as orphaned, meaning the time and effort you put into constructing them will go to waste.
Having said that, I feel like being at least partially responsible for what is going on here and I too have noticed the negativity. Still, it is not my job to tell others what to think or how to react. Some of you would probably want more moderation, when someone is too negative for example, but ..well, I can't and won't punish people for having an opinion.There is no thought police here.
I am open for any suggestions, but please - discussing moderation is strictly addressed in the tos as something that is not ok, so contact me in private. I don't bite and I hope some of the regulars can attest I can be reasoned with
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh