Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2016, 06:03 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
I frequently attend plays, readings, the ballet, and the symphony. I will look out for you next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
You win. And you'd really win if you wrote the opera. If it's not one I saw Bugs Bunny do, then I don't know it.
Thinking of cheating on Hopes again, I see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 06:54 PM

255 posts, read 284,582 times
Pittsburgh is boring. We all know this.
The funniest thread I probably read that was really optimistic was the T-extension one.
Stuff like that isn't going to happen and you should move to somewhere that has it if you want that.
Me, I'm a boring person, so Pittsburgh is fine with me.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:29 AM

994 posts, read 900,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCom View Post
The funniest thread I probably read that was really optimistic was the T-extension one.
Stuff like that isn't going to happen and you should move to somewhere that has it if you want that.
I will likely be moving away in the next year or two, and if that move is to a city it will be one with a decent rail system so that I can get to places on time and efficiently.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:08 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
I will likely be moving away in the next year or two, and if that move is to a city it will be one with a decent rail system so that I can get to places on time and efficiently.
But there is so much more to consider. Having a 'decent rail system' is usually because of high daily demand - which means you are competing for parking spaces at the rail station. But you could live close to the station, and likely be in a high rent market.

Forget DC for now, with the problems they are having. SF - a terribly expensive city in which to live....I can only think of NYC or Philadelphia as places with 'decent' rail service and yet are liveable with a reasonable quality of life and options for moderate cost of living (and I'm only guessing on Philadelphia).

But I see what you would like about using rail - it's just that that subway dependent lifestyle is rare on this continent.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:39 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Chicago is the only affordable city with a decent rail system.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:09 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Chicago is the only affordable city with a decent rail system.
Don't tell'em nothing ... They think life is going to be so grand in these bigger cities with "Rail" LMAO .... 1 taste of the Infrastructure problems along with SKY HIGH COL in the Bigger Cities, and the Burgh will not look so bad...

As I continue to say, all it takes is time away from the Burgh, to see what you had wasn't so bad after all...

After living in NYC for 13 years, I sure am glad that I can pretty much get anywhere in Pittsburgh in a 1/2 hr time. Its all about perspective.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:51 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
I don't get why some think a subway/rail and using it is so glamorous. They clearly have never rode on the NYC subway, and light rail is generally slower than buses as well....

Old 05-18-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
But there is so much more to consider. Having a 'decent rail system' is usually because of high daily demand - which means you are competing for parking spaces at the rail station. But you could live close to the station, and likely be in a high rent market.

Forget DC for now, with the problems they are having. SF - a terribly expensive city in which to live....I can only think of NYC or Philadelphia as places with 'decent' rail service and yet are liveable with a reasonable quality of life and options for moderate cost of living (and I'm only guessing on Philadelphia).

But I see what you would like about using rail - it's just that that subway dependent lifestyle is rare on this continent.
Why limit it to just a few of the largest cities? There are 25 US cities (including San Juan) with higher rail usage as a percentage of overall transportation.

So while some have sky high cost of living, let's dispel with the myth that every city with better transit is unaffordable. Our ranking, at just under 13%, is quite frankly, pitiful.

http://s32.postimg.org/myjc4gah1/Rail_Rankings.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Pittsburgh pessimism-rail-rankings.jpg  

Old 05-18-2016, 09:56 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Why can't you just ride a bus?

Old 05-18-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Why can't you just ride a bus?
I currently ride the bus to and from work every single day. Do you?

There are too many issues with it, mainly the consistency of timeliness (or arriving at all). Frankly, it is difficult to depend on it and I've already decided that it won't work for me long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh