Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2016, 08:57 AM

149 posts, read 153,936 times

Advertisements

Craziaskowboi - You very well may. We are going to put in our best effort to seek out as integrated and overall accepting of a population as possible. While you can't get everything you want, we are at least going to attempt to do our research to ensure we get as much of what we want, out of where we choose to be, as possible. But I need to ask, after seeing that you spend much more than the majority of your time seeking out anti-pittsburgh posts to zing back at, since you love pittsburgh so much .... why aren't you living there? It just seems that someone would want to spend their life where they are most comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 09:05 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,873,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadinpgh View Post
Yes, compared to many East Coast cities I've been to, Boston, New York, Baltimore, etc. people here can be very friendly. But compared to many other places I've been, no so much. It's all relative to your experiences. There's not doubt that a transplant can live here and not have a single bad encounter for 30 years ... call it luck. Or perhaps it's merely coincidence that I run into all of the people who don't seem to jive with an overall West Coast mentality .... once again, call it luck. You do you, not trying to change who you are or convince you to move anywhere or stay anywhere. I'm outta here next June either way, just stating my point that those who come from elsewhere also put into your local economy so treat them with such regard.
What is a "West coast mentality?"

In my limited experience with the west coast, I wouldn't call it unusually friendly. Seattle in particular was one of the least outgoing cities I think I have ever been to.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:09 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,098,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
So open minded of you regarding the Troll Tarring. You may be proving a valid point of the OP's.

The Atlanta Georgia area is one of the LEAST racist areas I have lived. When we relocated from that lovely ( in so many ways) community to Pennsylvania our children were shocked by the racism they observed in their school. My Caucasian daughters of middle school age could not believe what they were seeing and hearing. One, in some sort of classroom discussion, pointed out that she found more racism and problems related to it, in the "North" than she ever experienced in Atlanta Ga.
Then please, let us wait for the poster who posted it to tell us where "the confederate flags are flying" here........

Old 06-07-2016, 09:09 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,892,587 times
Quote:
Once again, not trying to be a troll, just offering my input from my experiences. Everyone who lives in any city is going to have a different experience, but if you want your city to grow, it never hurts to take the insights of others into consideration. Sure there are white trash rednecks in the south, I lived there long ago, but the major cities that I visited, for the most part, seemed to be considerably more accepting and progressive than the rural areas. This goes for almost any city, except here I find the rednecky racism to be just as bad in the city/burbs as in the rural regions. But just one man's perspective.
Yes, compared to many East Coast cities I've been to, Boston, New York, Baltimore, etc. people here can be very friendly. But compared to many other places I've been, no so much. It's all relative to your experiences. There's not doubt that a transplant can live here and not have a single bad encounter for 30 years ... call it luck. Or perhaps it's merely coincidence that I run into all of the people who don't seem to jive with an overall West Coast mentality .... once again, call it luck. You do you, not trying to change who you are or convince you to move anywhere or stay anywhere. I'm outta here next June either way, just stating my point that those who come from elsewhere also put into your local economy so treat them with such regard.
Even if they aren't transplants, I've heard numerous complains at places I've worked from visiting sports fans about the way they were treated at games .... stating people here just go to far. Sure, have fun and engage in friendly banter, but remember, they bought tickets to YOUR stadium, are enjoying YOUR refreshments and stating in YOUR hotels. Putting into YOUR economy and leaving with a perception of YOUR city to tell all their friends about.
Pittsburgh has all the components to be the next boom town, I'm just making my suggestions on how to approach this for when the next out of towner takes my place. Cost of living is affordable, but for me, just not worth saving the money.

I wish you luck on finding a place that is comfortable for you and your family!

As for ATL, some close friends recently moved there and their only issue so far is the traffic. The one day my friends commute was around two hours. Other than that, they like the area. I personally couldn't deal with the heat, heck even Pgh is almost too hot for me.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:13 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,072,491 times
I never heard the term "Up South" until I met a co-worker who was a Mississippi transplant relate her experience moving to Pittsburgh. That's what she called Western PA, Up South. From my experiences, she was dead right.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:19 AM

778 posts, read 834,611 times
West Coast attitudes tend to kind of irk me because it often comes off as really passive aggressive to me. If I don't like you, I'll say so. A lot of West Coasters I've met seem unwilling to let the "peace and love, it's all good, maaaan" schtick go long enough to tell you what they really think of you, so they just come off as really disingenuous. I knew a girl who used to say the absolutely most awful snide crap in emails, and then sign off with *~*love and light*~*~ like that kind of silly pixie dust somehow negates all the backstabbing she just did.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:25 AM

With my experience of the West, acceptance is the big thing. People seem to be more accepting of outsiders.

You are absolutely right though. Seattle in general can be difficult to break through in with my experience as well. They call it the "Seattle Freeze" and I don't quite understand it, but I think most attribute it to the weather and, for some reason, the fact that the tech. industry is so large there, associating "nerdy" people with inwardness. But this is just what I've read, not what I came up with. I've lived throughout Alaska, coastal and non, and Western Canada, and my wife grew up in Southern California, and we spend a lot of time with her friends and family who are from there as well. From our experiences living out west, and interacting with those from there, my idea of a west coast mindset seems to be a bit more laid back and easy going, while hard working, it seems less stressful. I dunno why, but for some reason the places I have been, Seattle, Vancouver and Alaska, seem to be that way. Not everyone in places like Seattle are as openly friendly as we would all like, but the city in general seems to be more accepting of other lifestyles than some places in this region. Same with L.A. and San Diego, according to relatives. I'm sure there's plenty of hustle and bustle and rat racing, and once you reach the rural or desert regions there is a chance that the liberal attitude may or may not fade, but from where I've lived and what I've been told, things, while more expensive, and slowed down and folks more accepting.

Of course, I've only lived in the norther reaches of the West Coast, so a portion of my idea of the whole thing may be romanticized, but I suppose I have t take folks at their word until I get the full experience myself.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:33 AM

I can definitely see how the overly happy attitude, or fake passive aggressive can get to some people. For me, it's way better than being outwardly aggressive and hostile. However, a lot of people would prefer that. I personally this if someone doesn't like me, then they just won't spend time with me. But everyone has their preference and that's fine and dandy.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:51 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,885,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I never heard the term "Up South" until I met a co-worker who was a Mississippi transplant relate her experience moving to Pittsburgh. That's what she called Western PA, Up South. From my experiences, she was dead right.
WOW. You really have never been to the rural south have you? We may have bouts of racism, but geeze that is the most ignorant comment I've ever heard on this site.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:57 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
Quote:
Craziaskowboi - You very well may. We are going to put in our best effort to seek out as integrated and overall accepting of a population as possible. While you can't get everything you want, we are at least going to attempt to do our research to ensure we get as much of what we want, out of where we choose to be, as possible. But I need to ask, after seeing that you spend much more than the majority of your time seeking out anti-pittsburgh posts to zing back at, since you love pittsburgh so much .... why aren't you living there? It just seems that someone would want to spend their life where they are most comfortable.
If I remember correctly Craziaskowboi doesn't live in Pittsburgh due to having family commitments in Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh