Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 07:53 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,816,116 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh is still one of the few remaining bastions of middle class utopia in a hostile neoliberal America. Great affordable old housing stock, lush abundant parks, great cultural amenities. The problem with Pittsburgh though is its dismal and parochial job market. Getting a job as an outsider is very difficult. Employers are stingy. People often have to balance 2-3 part-time jobs just to get by. Does anyone else commute to the east coast or another city for work? I find that by traveling to the east coast I make double of what I would in Puttsburgh even with all the travel expenses.

Last edited by ny789987; 05-12-2016 at 08:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 08:04 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,988,870 times
I don't see how it would be remotely feasible to commute to the east cost from Pittsburgh to save on the cost of living. You would have to pay for a second residence on the East Coast during your work week and/or fly which would negate the cost savings. You're looking at at least a 3 hour drive to get to anything "east coast", and really a 4-6 hour drive to get to any of the major cities. It's just not feasible unless you can telecommute a majority of the time.

Even if there were a Japanese style bullet train to DC or Philly the costs would make it not worthwhile.

The Pittsburgh job market is not as bad as you're making it out to be; the best option is to just find a job locally if you want to live here.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:11 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,816,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I don't see how it would be remotely feasible to commute to the east cost from Pittsburgh to save on the cost of living. You would have to pay for a second residence on the East Coast during your work week and/or fly which would negate the cost savings. You're looking at at least a 3 hour drive to get to anything "east coast", and really a 4-6 hour drive to get to any of the major cities. It's just not feasible unless you can telecommute a majority of the time.

Even if there were a Japanese style bullet train to DC or Philly the costs would make it not worthwhile.

The Pittsburgh job market is not as bad as you're making it out to be; the best option is to just find a job locally if you want to live here.
I get up at 3am on Monday morning and am home by 11pm on Friday night. Flying really isn't feasible, as you said because of connections. Driving to DC is a breeze. Getting to Philly or NYC, I will drive and hop on a train in Harrisburg. I only require 4 nights a week of lodging which I get can get pretty cheap off of Priceline or Hotwire. Those expenses are tax deductible. Am I the only one doing this, or am I crazy?

Old 05-12-2016, 08:11 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,900,512 times
Even though I work remote, I'm still required to go to NY about 3-4 times a year. Usually go on Thursday or Friday .... stay the weekend and come back Tuesday of the next week. I still retained my NYC salary.

Pittsburgh unless you have a specialized skill is going to be a dog fight for decent paying jobs, as this is a problem all across america. Natives have just as hard a time, problem is there's too much competition for low availability of jobs. I feel like for every 1 job opening your competing with 20-30 other applicants. Don't ask me why companies/HR depts schedule so many interviews for a single opening. When I did first round interviews for my department (when I lived in NY), I usually knew who was a good fit (not my decision alone) by the 5 person, but would still be required to interview every applicant HR scheduled for us, we all hated it.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:13 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,161,312 times
While direct commuting may not be an option, remote working arrangements are more and more common. I have gotten ahead by using "location arbitrage" as I like to call it, by first working for an east coast company and now a Midwest-based company out of my home in Pittsburgh. I travel to the home office or other central meeting places as needed on the employers dime quite a bit. Right now I am in Milwaukee effectively every other week.

It is possible to do without a daily/weekly commute.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:17 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
I get up at 3am on Monday morning and am home by 11pm on Friday night. Flying really isn't feasible, as you said because of connections. Driving to DC is a breeze. Getting to Philly or NYC, I will drive and hop on a train in Harrisburg. I only require 4 nights a week of lodging which I get can get pretty cheap off of Priceline or Hotwire. Those expenses are tax deductible. Am I the only one doing this, or am I crazy?
Pretty sure you're one of the only ones. Most all live in the area where they work unless they telecommute on a regular basis.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:18 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,988,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
I get up at 3am on Monday morning and am home by 11pm on Friday night. Flying really isn't feasible, as you said because of connections. Driving to DC is a breeze. Getting to Philly or NYC, I will drive and hop on a train in Harrisburg. I only require 4 nights a week of lodging which I get can get pretty cheap off of Priceline or Hotwire. Those expenses are tax deductible.
I guess I just don't get the point. You'd only be able to enjoy Pittsburgh's "middle class utopia" for 52 hours a week, including sleeping. You'd negate the lower cost of housing by all the travel, even with the tax deductions. I think most people would burn out on that routine pretty quickly.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:20 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,045,519 times
I knew someone a few years back who needed to make weekly flights to Philadelphia as part of her job. That was only a one day a week plane commute though, not Monday through Friday. Their employer obviously reimbursed for the flights.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:21 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,970,308 times
That's a ridiculous proposition. I've known people who did that sort of commute along the Acela line, but nothing like you're describing.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:23 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,601,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I knew someone a few years back who needed to make weekly flights to Philadelphia as part of her job. That was only a one day a week plane commute though, not Monday through Friday. Their employer obviously reimbursed for the flights.

I hope so. Those are $600 tickets at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh