Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2016, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 2,326 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent college graduate about to relocate to the North Hills/Ross Township area. I'm looking for a gym that has a halfway decent free weights section with ample squat/power racks. I've called some of the ones on McKnight Road (LA Fitness, Club Julian, etc) but I'll usually hear something similar to:

"well, we're not really known for free weights, but we have a pool, a hot tub, a sauna, masseurs..."

It seems that a lot of these gyms are catering to the older (and wealthier) crowd that is interested those things, but I'm a busy college grad on a budget. I'm looking for a place that provides the equipment that I need, and isn't full of "high maintenance" types.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 02:22 PM

Location: Close to Pittsburgh, but NOT Pittsburgh ('cause I don't pay CoP taxes)
252 posts, read 234,714 times
You could try the Bellevue or Baierl (Wexford) YMCAs. I use the downtown YMCA (USS Tower) all the time, and I've never had a problem waiting for the squat rack.

For most folks, "ample" power racks means "one" power rack, since your average gym participant avoids them like the plague.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:50 PM

93 posts, read 90,873 times
Try Fitness 19 in Mcintyre Square. They have a lot of cardio and weight equipment and what seems to be a decent free weight setup (Hammer Strength), but I admit I do not use free weights there, so I can not give a detailed inventory of what equipment they have.

Other than a little daycare room, they have no 'cutsie' stuff like hot tubs or saunas. One negative is they have no showers, which makes it tough to workout in the AM and go to work. On the other hand, it is cheap -- I pay $24/month for a family membership, but I signed up several years ago, so it is probably more expensive now.

The other place to check out is BodyTech, which is in Pines Plaza on Perry Highway (behind the Shop n Save). I have not been there myself, but it has something of a hardcore reputation, and the handful of people I know who are members think highly of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: