Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 10:47 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
That's what many of us have been telling you for a long time, yet it still hasn't stopped you from commenting in many of the threads in this subforum wherein you've nothing to add because you have no firsthand experience with the area. So it's kind of ironic that you are saying this to another poster.
I'm in da 'burgh quite often and sounds like I visit its amenities more than many who live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 10:48 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanPioneer View Post
Indeed. Cranberry gets mentioned a lot on this subforum. I'm curious how many actually speak from experience.
Was think the exact same thing...especially since it's obvious that most don't.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:28 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanPioneer View Post
This is a bit of an odd statement, but I do agree with some of it. There are two points that are worth making:
- The term "better" is broad, complex and includes different things for different people. For example, even if your statement was correct, I would argue that suburban schools is a better option than the city school district.
- While there is a very strong correlation, children are not smart just because they have wealthy educated parents. But perhaps because these parents provide parenting and resources for their children to be successful. Let's assume for a moment that such parenting, among other thing, means being involved in your child's education. While all those indicators usually go hand in hand, it would contradict your statement that suburban schools do well not because they have more involved parents, but merely because they have wealthy and educated parents.

Now circling back to what constitutes a better school district. Would my kids do well in the city school district? Likely, yes. Would an average city school district be better for them than a top suburban school district? Likely, no.
Regarding better, you're of course right that it's subjective. I like that the City of Pittsburgh gives parents and students a lot of different educational options, from arts-focused to STEM-focused curriculum. About the only suburb I considered moving to when we were looking for a new house was Dormont, since it was closer to my wife's parents and more urban than the city neighborhoods in the South Hills. But I decided against in part due to the schools. In aggregate Keystone Oaks does than Pittsburgh, but that is because it's a district where the average student is...average...with few underperformers (and also less high performers than the City). But the lack of any choices besides the neighborhood school made the option unappealing to me personally.

No one has disentangled what causes students to perform well or fall behind. Some suggest that the results are mostly due to genetics, finding a big gap in the performance of biological children (who track with their parents) and adoptive children (who mostly do not). Others have suggested that home environment can still play a role. But there have been multiple studies which have shown that schools simply don't matter, at least in any systematic fashion. Almost the entirety of differences in school performance (urban, suburban, public, private, magnet, charter, etc) comes down to the socio-economic status of the parents. When this is accounted for, there is no evidence that any kind of school is any better than any other kind. Individual teachers may be better or worse for individual students, but everything gets washed out in the averages. Meaning the best thing a parent can do is just live where they want to with the assurance it won't ruin their child.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:29 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The problem is the city is unable to attract or retain those in their prime earning years, 35-60.
I'd hazard a guess that Pittsburgh does a better than average job of retaining people in those age brackets than the average American core city. I'll have to look into the statistics to see.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:46 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'd hazard a guess that Pittsburgh does a better than average job of retaining people in those age brackets than the average American core city. I'll have to look into the statistics to see.
Quote:
Then something very interesting happens. The age group from 35 to 65 accounts for a substantially higher portion of the national population than it does in Pittsburgh, 39.0 to 33.8 percent. This is the age group that by and large represents the highest income earners (those at the top end of this age range) and accounts for the lion’s share of those with middle and high school age students (in the middle portion of the range)...
Pittsburgh

Old 05-20-2016, 12:14 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
That's also because the 20 to 34 demographic so much larger here. Do you know what that means? It means young people are moving here. Pittsburgh is 50% higher than the national average for that age group. Cities don't grow through influx of middle-aged people.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:20 PM

But they don't stay in the city after a certain age.

If they did, there wouldn't be an unusually small percentage of children.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:22 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
But they don't stay in the city after a certain age.
Except you can't extrapolate that. All you can determine is that the last generation didn't.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Except you can't extrapolate that. All you can determine is that the last generation didn't.
There's plenty of recent research indicating Millenials move to the suburbs after their extended adolescence. Do you have any reason to believe Pittsburgh's millenials are different?

Old 05-20-2016, 01:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
I lived in the Pittsburgh area for 15 years, so I already know the basics. And since then, I've been back often enough and still know enough people who live there to have a clue what's going on. That's all that matters. I remember what Pittsburgh was when I moved away, and I've seen enough of it since to know that it's much better off now than it used to be.
Yet I lived in the area for 21, almost 22 years, went to college worked there as an adult, have been back many times to visit and have had family in the area consistently since about 1870, and I'm told I don't belong on this forum many times. Not by you, I have to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh