Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 06:39 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,684,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
so the person that bought the place should have not been allowed to make a return on an investment? what would the answer be in your opinion? should there be regulations saying that a property owner of a multi family building can not sell? should new owners not be allowed to use the property as they wish? Im honestly asking your opinion here as I dont really understand what you were so pissed about?
If my landlady ever decided to move back from Florida she'd probably want to evict us and improve the unit so instead of getting $700/month for a dumpy 1-BR in a great location she could command $1,000/month+ for a modernized apartment. I wouldn't blame her for it one bit, although I'd be depressed as there are no other comparably-priced dog-friendly 1-BR rentals ever on the market in our neighborhood, so we'd, in essence, be gentrified out.

Landlords(ladies) are under no ethical responsibility to keep things affordable for their tenants. They are essentially entrepreneurs looking to generate profit, and I can't fault them for wanting to maximize that profit potential. I just wish so many people moving here these days didn't have so much non-Pittsburgh-cash to burn because while $1,000/month for a 1-BR may seem "cheap" to them it's cost-prohibitive for many who have lived and worked here for years.

Nothing nice can stay cheap forever, though. I'm on my way out the door in a few minutes to walk Downtown for an interview. It's unheard of to rent a 1-BR for $700/month within walking distance of Downtown in almost every major U.S. city. Pittsburgh's "edge" for many years was that it was an affordable city. It's losing that edge these days (at least for renters due to the supply shortage), but another "edge" will emerge soon I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 06:45 AM

778 posts, read 841,221 times
Landlords renovating and selling happens everywhere. It happened to me in the sleepy rural backwater where I went to college. They actually wanted to kick us out like two months before graduation and we had to go and plead for them to postpone so that those of us who were graduating could do that without having to also find a place to live for 2 months. They wanted to get out of the landlord biz (which also happens everywhere all the time) and knew they wouldn't be able to sell the place if it looked like a rental. This was the least-hot real estate market imaginable.

It came close to happening to me again in Point Breeze. Any time a landlord sells (which, again, happens a lot with small time landlords which Pittsburgh has a lot of), there's a pretty good chance you're going to get booted, for any number of reasons. Maybe to renovate and flip, maybe to sell as a single-family dwelling, maybe because the new landlord raises the rent so much you can't afford it. It's a big reason we decided to buy when we did. I hated the uncertainty.

Anyway, that happening in a single building does not mean gentrification. It just means that someone wants out of the landlord business. Most people do some renovation before they sell, if they're looking to get top-dollar and not sell it as a fixer-upper.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:09 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,284,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
If my landlady ever decided to move back from Florida she'd probably want to evict us and improve the unit so instead of getting $700/month for a dumpy 1-BR in a great location she could command $1,000/month+ for a modernized apartment. I wouldn't blame her for it one bit, although I'd be depressed as there are no other comparably-priced dog-friendly 1-BR rentals ever on the market in our neighborhood, so we'd, in essence, be gentrified out.

Landlords(ladies) are under no ethical responsibility to keep things affordable for their tenants. They are essentially entrepreneurs looking to generate profit, and I can't fault them for wanting to maximize that profit potential. I just wish so many people moving here these days didn't have so much non-Pittsburgh-cash to burn because while $1,000/month for a 1-BR may seem "cheap" to them it's cost-prohibitive for many who have lived and worked here for years.

Nothing nice can stay cheap forever, though. I'm on my way out the door in a few minutes to walk Downtown for an interview. It's unheard of to rent a 1-BR for $700/month within walking distance of Downtown in almost every major U.S. city. Pittsburgh's "edge" for many years was that it was an affordable city. It's losing that edge these days (at least for renters due to the supply shortage), but another "edge" will emerge soon I'm sure.
What about the person living in your place before that you gentrified out?

Old 05-24-2016, 08:34 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,964,308 times
SteelCityRising,

Plenty of place in the south hills for $700/month on the T line.

Living in a nice place cheap is never long term proposition because someone else will always be willing to sacrifice a little more than you or have more resources available. What about buying a place on middle hill and renovating it. Then if the hill ever appreciates you get the benefit.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:07 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,059,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
What about buying a place on middle hill and renovating it. Then if the hill ever appreciates you get the benefit.
I agree the Middle Hill would be a good place for SCR. I know he loves to walk and doesn't have any fear about walking around black neighborhoods. The Middle Hill would allow him to nearly everywhere he currently walks from Polish Hill. I believe I posted upthread (or in another thread) that there are two reasonably intact large Victorian houses for sale within walking distance of the Shop 'n Save, which is probably the most walkable location in the Hill District, and should get better with time.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
What about the person living in your place before that you gentrified out?
You mean my landlady who moved because she wanted to live somewhere else by choice?

Old 05-24-2016, 08:44 PM

Amazingly enough I just had yet another city official send me a private message on Facebook debating me and disavowing the occurrence of gentrification within the city. How out-of-touch have our elected officials become with long-time Pittsburghers while they've been busy catering to the "new" Pittsburgh? I realize the "new" Pittsburgh---28-year-old CMU grads with $75,000 salaries renting $1,800/month apartments---are tantalizing for the wage tax revenues they'll bring to the city; however, are they going to stay put in the city proper once their children reach school age? If not, then why cater to them at the expense of long-time renters who have stuck with the city through thick and thin and who ARE facing the very REAL prospect of gentrification?

Having just moved here in 2010 if we're gentrified out to Carrick, Beltzhoover, Sheraden, etc. in the coming years it's no big deal, but some of our longtime "yinzer" neighbors rent and are very concerned about the prospect of soon being priced out. When the news broke that LG Realty was trying to quickly evict existing Penn Plaza tenants the Peduto Administration quickly took action and negotiated with the developer to slow down and not move forward with demolition of the buildings for more high-end mid-rise residential development until existing tenants could be resettled with dignity. Obviously race factored into things here since nearly all of those displaced were African-Americans and would be replaced by nearly all Caucasians. The resettlement process was difficult because there were so few available nearby affordable rentals, which is why another new low-income residential building will also be built nearby. That's great for Penn Plaza residents. What about blacks being gentrified out of other buildings and working-class whites being gentrified out of other neighborhoods? You don't hear any acknowledgement of the latter on this sub-forum for some reason, and I'd love to know why.

The entire country is seemingly being more sharply divided based upon socioeconomic lines with each passing year. It seems like the rich are getting richer while everyone else is either stagnant or in danger of tumbling downwards. That trend, which Pittsburgh was once immune from, seems to be starting here, and the fact that elected officials are blind to it is alarming, at best, and irresponsible, at worst. Scores of working-class and middle-class individuals are going to be automated out of their jobs in the coming decade via self-serve ordering kiosks, self-driving cars, food delivery drones, self-check-outs, smarter ATM's, etc. so the wealthy can become even wealthier by further reducing labor costs, but I don't hear anyone nationally OR locally addressing what is to become of these people if there's nowhere they can be absorbed in the labor market.

Oh, and by the way, MOST of your jobs aren't as secure as you think, especially going forward.

-Want to invest? There's an app (many, actually) for that now, so you can teach yourself and then invest on your own without the need for a financial advisor/certified financial planner (CFP)/wealth advisor to manage your portfolio.
-Want therapy? While right now your best bet would be to seek the consultation of a licensed counselor, therapist, psychologist, psychiatrist, etc., more automated options are being developed to help people self-diagnose mental, emotional, and social ailments and determine best practices and coping mechanisms.
-Want to obtain legal counsel? The marketplace is currently flooded with newly-minted JD's, many of whom are doing anything under the sun to pay off their hefty student loans; people are much more able to easily research legal precedents and relevant past cases ONLINE to help determine a good offense/defense and consider self-representation; and I'm sure, as with anything else, one of those underemployed Millennial JD's will think of an interactive "Law for Dummies" app where they'll provide legal help on the cheap to help pay the bills while taking business away from established attorneys.

^ It won't ONLY be "those other people who should have planned their lives better" who will be in danger of obsolescence due to automation in the future, and thus far I have yet to hear ANY politician address what ramifications mass un- and under-employment will have upon the economy. I would argue that there's already an UNDERemployment problem in this country post-recession, and I only see that worsening---not improving---in the coming years. Are we really striving to make our rusty, gritty, working-class-forged city better for those who stand to profit off automation of those who helped make the city what it was in its heyday?

Old 05-25-2016, 06:52 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,284,976 times
Quote:
Amazingly enough I just had yet another city official send me a private message on Facebook debating me and disavowing the occurrence of gentrification within the city. How out-of-touch have our elected officials become with long-time Pittsburghers while they've been busy catering to the "new" Pittsburgh? I realize the "new" Pittsburgh---28-year-old CMU grads with $75,000 salaries renting $1,800/month apartments---are tantalizing for the wage tax revenues they'll bring to the city; however, are they going to stay put in the city proper once their children reach school age? If not, then why cater to them at the expense of long-time renters who have stuck with the city through thick and thin and who ARE facing the very REAL prospect of gentrification?

Having just moved here in 2010 if we're gentrified out to Carrick, Beltzhoover, Sheraden, etc. in the coming years it's no big deal, but some of our longtime "yinzer" neighbors rent and are very concerned about the prospect of soon being priced out. When the news broke that LG Realty was trying to quickly evict existing Penn Plaza tenants the Peduto Administration quickly took action and negotiated with the developer to slow down and not move forward with demolition of the buildings for more high-end mid-rise residential development until existing tenants could be resettled with dignity. Obviously race factored into things here since nearly all of those displaced were African-Americans and would be replaced by nearly all Caucasians. The resettlement process was difficult because there were so few available nearby affordable rentals, which is why another new low-income residential building will also be built nearby. That's great for Penn Plaza residents. What about blacks being gentrified out of other buildings and working-class whites being gentrified out of other neighborhoods? You don't hear any acknowledgement of the latter on this sub-forum for some reason, and I'd love to know why.

The entire country is seemingly being more sharply divided based upon socioeconomic lines with each passing year. It seems like the rich are getting richer while everyone else is either stagnant or in danger of tumbling downwards. That trend, which Pittsburgh was once immune from, seems to be starting here, and the fact that elected officials are blind to it is alarming, at best, and irresponsible, at worst. Scores of working-class and middle-class individuals are going to be automated out of their jobs in the coming decade via self-serve ordering kiosks, self-driving cars, food delivery drones, self-check-outs, smarter ATM's, etc. so the wealthy can become even wealthier by further reducing labor costs, but I don't hear anyone nationally OR locally addressing what is to become of these people if there's nowhere they can be absorbed in the labor market.

Oh, and by the way, MOST of your jobs aren't as secure as you think, especially going forward.

-Want to invest? There's an app (many, actually) for that now, so you can teach yourself and then invest on your own without the need for a financial advisor/certified financial planner (CFP)/wealth advisor to manage your portfolio.
-Want therapy? While right now your best bet would be to seek the consultation of a licensed counselor, therapist, psychologist, psychiatrist, etc., more automated options are being developed to help people self-diagnose mental, emotional, and social ailments and determine best practices and coping mechanisms.
-Want to obtain legal counsel? The marketplace is currently flooded with newly-minted JD's, many of whom are doing anything under the sun to pay off their hefty student loans; people are much more able to easily research legal precedents and relevant past cases ONLINE to help determine a good offense/defense and consider self-representation; and I'm sure, as with anything else, one of those underemployed Millennial JD's will think of an interactive "Law for Dummies" app where they'll provide legal help on the cheap to help pay the bills while taking business away from established attorneys.

^ It won't ONLY be "those other people who should have planned their lives better" who will be in danger of obsolescence due to automation in the future, and thus far I have yet to hear ANY politician address what ramifications mass un- and under-employment will have upon the economy. I would argue that there's already an UNDERemployment problem in this country post-recession, and I only see that worsening---not improving---in the coming years. Are we really striving to make our rusty, gritty, working-class-forged city better for those who stand to profit off automation of those who helped make the city what it was in its heyday?
I can't argue that you don't make some good points. I would double that compensation number for CMU grads though.

I think a big part of your problem is coming here in 2010. That really isn't the old Pittsburgh, it was the start of the resurgance where everything was still cheap but was not touted as such on the national scale. It was also the middle of a recession. If you really saw the old Pittsburgh you would realize that it wasn't optimal at all.

In regards to jobs, yes some are going to be lost but I don't think it is worth stifling innovation to save a few jobs. New things will pop up in the new economy, but I do agree that the wealth gap needs to be addressed, specifically the transfer of wealth between generations.

If I were you, I would be in front of the trends and invest now into a property that will appreciate so that you can be in front of the price growth. There are plenty affordable out there that have been demonstrated to you numerous times, as has been mentioned repeatedly. Look into first time home buyers programs.

I would also be aware of your online persona. Unfortunately employers will looks at this and judge based on what they see. Unfortunately this is the world that we live in now.

I wish you the best of luck with everything.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:49 AM

595 posts, read 601,522 times
SCR - you might have covered this in another thread at some point, but why don't you put an offer in where you're living (or buy now nearby before you get priced out)?

Typically, a monthly mortgage payment is going to be cheaper than rent. I was paying $535/mo in rent for my house before I bought it - after taxes and insurance it was $308/mo with no money down. This was in 2007 and I've since refinanced and had work done to the house, but I'd imagine you'd be able to do the same.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:13 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,904,512 times
Quote:
What about blacks being gentrified out of other buildings and working-class whites being gentrified out of other neighborhoods? You don't hear any acknowledgement of the latter on this sub-forum for some reason, and I'd love to know why.
Scores of working-class and middle-class individuals are going to be automated out of their jobs in the coming decade via self-serve ordering kiosks, self-driving cars, food delivery drones, self-check-outs, smarter ATM's, etc. so the wealthy can become even wealthier by further reducing labor costs, but I don't hear anyone nationally OR locally addressing what is to become of these people if there's nowhere they can be absorbed in the labor market.

1. It's because the elites work with, and socialize with, other elites. Public forum events are managed for PR purposes and are mainly a dog and pony show, with government entities knowing before which course of action they wish to pursue. Those courses of action aren't taken with the perspectives of working-class folk in mind - the only perspectives that really matter are "stakeholders". If you're a company with money, if you're a tech company, or if you have a position at a university or with another elite - you can get listened to. Otherwise, it's in one ear and out the other.

2. You and I both know the reason for that as working-class white men.

3. You're correct. And I don't understand how people can justify artificially raising the labor cost to $15/hour while thinking it will help - if anything it will only accelerate the process you're describing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh