U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 06:14 PM

5,845 posts, read 4,290,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Pittsburgh is mentioned a lot in Cronenberg's Videodrome too... but people don't seem to associate themselves with that much either.
Deborah Harry? Rock/art rock/new wave/whatever icon - topless....color me "associated"!

Not a good movie, though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 06:33 PM

6,087 posts, read 3,978,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Never heard of Mr Belvedere.
Mr. Belvedere (TV Series 1985

Old 05-31-2016, 06:34 PM

6,605 posts, read 2,085,008 times
[quote=Pitt Chick;44251781]Never heard of Mr Belvedere.
Fred Rogers is from Latrobe.[/quote

It is correct that Fred Rogers was born in Latrobe, but this icon of children's television entertainment, created and performed in shows for local Pittsburgh TV stations. It was WQED (Pittsburgh Public Station) that was home to the Mr. Rogers Neighborhood from 1968 to 2001. So I believe Mr. Rogers IS to most of the world, known as a Pittsburgh figure due to the bulk of his professional work airing on/from Pittsburgh television, while his primary adult residence was also in Pittsburgh.

While on the topic of this acclaimed personality here are some additional facts, but not all, by any means:

Peabody Award; Presidential Medal of Freedom; Inducted into the Television Hall of Fame; Ranked #35 among TV Guide's 50 greatest stars of all time; One of his trademark sweaters is in the Smithsonian Institution as a "Treasure of American History"; More than 40 honorary degrees; Several buildings and artworks are dedicated to his memory and he was recognized by 2 Congressional resolutions. And last but not least: Revered and loved by millions of children and adults........................

Last edited by corpgypsy; 05-31-2016 at 06:50 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 06:57 PM

20,416 posts, read 43,535,420 times
Yes, he worked in Pittsburgh, and he lived in many cities... but that does not change the fact that he is from Latrobe!

Old 05-31-2016, 07:22 PM

6,087 posts, read 3,978,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yes, he worked in Pittsburgh, and he lived in many cities... but that does not change the fact that he is from Latrobe!
Isn't Latrobe still part of the Pittsburgh metro area? And does Latrobe have some sort of recognition for Mr. Rogers as well?

But... back to the original topic, am I correct in saying there's not really any sort of commemoration or tourism related to Mr. Belvedere?

People magazine did a good write up about the show here:

Mr. Belvedere 30th Anniversary Videos : People.com

I absolutely love the theme song (and think of Pittsburgh when I hear it)! There's a link to it in the article.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:23 PM
gg

24,465 posts, read 23,194,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I am reminiscing on 1980's popular culture which, to me, was the golden age of quality, wholesome television sitcoms.

I know quite a few people strongly associate Full House with San Francisco as one example, as well as other non-sitcom shows with their host storyline city or state (i.e. LA Law, Fresh Prince of Bel Aire, and Beverly Hills 90210 obviously with LA, Northern Exposure with Alaska, etc., Seinfeld with NYC, Andy Griffith Show and Mayberry with North Carolina, etc.).

In my mind, Mr. Belvedere is one of those greatly popular 1980's entertainment relics that I automatically associate with Pittsburgh (although technically the family lived in suburban Beaver Falls). Do Pittsburgh locals think of or promote that same association, or is there any sort of museum or commemoration that acknowledges the show or its exposure of Pittsburgh?

I know Mr. Rogers has a statute in his honor (very well deserved) since he's from Pittsburgh, but I really haven't heard of any commemoration for Mr. Belvedere.

I'm just curious and responses are appreciated!
Well this show is in my wheelhouse since I am older. I do remember him mentioning Pittsburgh now and again, but it didn't feel that real. There was no real connection. There were other sitcoms with Pittsburgh going on, like Growing Pains had a reference I think as well. Can't quite remember. TV has sure changed for the worse that is for sure. I miss those old shows that were actually good. Family Ties was another one that was clean. Now it is junk!

Old 06-01-2016, 12:59 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,067,740 times
Here's a little blurb from Wiki; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Belvedere

The series' co-creators and executive producers, Frank Dungan and Jeff Stein, pitched the series as "a very elegant, very British sophisticate hired to restore order to a chaotic household in a Pittsburgh suburb." The show eventually developed with an upper middle-class family in suburban Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania. According to Dungan and Stein, Pittsburgh was chosen as the show's setting because "It was either Pittsburgh or Paris and Paris doesn't have the Penguins... we wanted someplace with seasons and sporting activity... A city kinda going through a resurgence... with character and traditions that is moving into the '80s, a blue collar community that is moving into the up and coming, yet with the traditional spirit of the country. From everything we've read, Pittsburgh is moving into high tech."
Weeks after choosing Pittsburgh, the city was named by Rand-McNally as the most livable American city, "national publicity" that the producers promised to use. Both Dungan (who hailed from Philadelphia) and Stein (who is from Cleveland) admitted to never having been to Pittsburgh prior to developing the series, though Dungan's sister attended Carnegie Mellon University. "I remember for four years she talked about how Pittsburgh was changing, and about how different it was from Philadelphia." Stein admitted that early on, "we thought about setting the show in Cleveland, but that's too jokey" and that "we're not doing Pittsburgh jokes. We like Pittsburgh. We like the Pittsburgh Steelers. That's a classy ballclub. And we like Willie Stargell." No scenes from the pilot nor the first season's six episodes were shot in Pennsylvania, however the producers promised if they "get picked up for fall [1985–86] we'll probably come to Pittsburgh."[3]
The producers educated themselves on Pittsburgh locales with a promotional calendar provided by the Pittsburgh Media Group (PMG), a consortium of public officials and Western Pennsylvania media. Dungan and Stein used it for story ideas during season one after the PMG pitched several studio groups in Los Angeles in January 1985. "People were impressed... the calendar has Pittsburgh scenes for each month. The Bridge of Sighs is February. The PPG Building is March. Three Rivers Stadium gets three months."[3]

Old 06-01-2016, 05:51 AM

5,653 posts, read 6,515,610 times
Never watched it. Had no idea it was associated with Pittsburgh.

This is one area where Cleveland wins over Pittsburgh. There's never been a show connected to Pittsburgh that's even close to Drew Carey's connection to Cleveland. Not to mention Pittsburgh doesn't have a theme song that rocks.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:15 AM

5,108 posts, read 6,688,915 times
I watched it sometimes growing up, but I don't think Pittsburgh played much of a role in the show (I remember it was ackowledged in the opening credits though) and the show wasn't a stand out iconic show to begin with. In fact, until this thread, I can't recall the last time I heard this show mentioned.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:26 AM

12,390 posts, read 6,560,461 times
I never really watched Mr Belvedere.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "My So-Called Life". It was set in Pittsburgh (filmed in LA). The show stared Claire Danes, was very well done, and had a very devoted fan base. The show launched Claire's career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_So-Called_Life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh