Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 04:58 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Yes indeed. Pittsburgh is the most chaotic, dangerous city on Earth. This kind of violence happens nowhere else in the world. You should stay out of the city forever.
You seem to downplay this, as you did for that insane fight out on Liberty a few weeks ago. I don't understand why you think should be considered is normal, and just part of the urban experience. It does not have to be. Bob Jefferson's comment was a valid rhetorical question.

Of course, the world is not perfect, and people will get angry, agitated, and whatnot, but these are adults - one with a baby, no less. I am not saying this is an epidemic - I am downtown more often than I like (bad air quality, idiot pedestrians that cause delays, and so on), but it's stupid and disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 05:10 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,899,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
You seem to downplay this, as you did for that insane fight out on Liberty a few weeks ago. I don't understand why you think should be considered is normal, and just part of the urban experience. It does not have to be. Bob Jefferson's comment was a valid rhetorical question.
Indeed - if everyone knows its a problem, why is the danger just accepted? It seems nothing is done about it. I often see Port Authority police at the Wood Street T Station - but they don't cross Liberty where the buses stop, where most of these problems are.

Why not have police walking Penn and Liberty in the Cultural District during the evening rush hour? The kids there are out of control - so why not have School Police there? Or since its a transit corridor, more Port Authority Police? Or ideally have City Police - they can kill two birds with one stone: keep the ghetto element under control through deterrence patrols and also make some nice revenue to pay for additional manpower by ticketing the idiots that insist on parking on the curb on Liberty during evening rush hour (in contravention of the signs) and therefore slow everything down for everyone else?

Old 06-04-2016, 05:24 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post

Of course, the world is not perfect, and people will get angry, agitated, and whatnot, but these are adults - one with a baby, no less. I am not saying this is an epidemic - I am downtown more often than I like (bad air quality, idiot pedestrians that cause delays, and so on), but it's stupid and disgusting.
Because I found the post hyperbolic and melodramatic, obviously. The poster wanted to know if people get in brawls in other developed countries? That's a ridiculous question, and if you can't see why, then you suffer from myopia and/or idealize humanity to the point of naiveté.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:26 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Indeed - if everyone knows its a problem, why is the danger just accepted? It seems nothing is done about it. I often see Port Authority police at the Wood Street T Station - but they don't cross Liberty where the buses stop, where most of these problems are.

Why not have police walking Penn and Liberty in the Cultural District during the evening rush hour? The kids there are out of control - so why not have School Police there? Or since its a transit corridor, more Port Authority Police? Or ideally have City Police - they can kill two birds with one stone: keep the ghetto element under control through deterrence patrols and also make some nice revenue to pay for additional manpower by ticketing the idiots that insist on parking on the curb on Liberty during evening rush hour (in contravention of the signs) and therefore slow everything down for everyone else?
While it's extremely sad that they behave like this, it's even worse that the police have to babysit because they can't keep themselves under control. Hopefully they arrest them all in the future and hold the parents responsible for those that are underage.

If the 2 girls did indeed cause the wreck, I hope they have to make restitution and get prosecuted to the fullest extent. Ridiculous to cause such an issue and put people at risk.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:35 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,582,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
The poster wanted to know if people get in brawls in other developed countries? That's a ridiculous question, and if you can't see why, then you suffer from myopia and/or idealize humanity to the point of naiveté.
Its actually not a ridiculous question.

Yes, of course brawls occur more frequently in some cities of other developed nations. And, brawls occur much less frequently in yet some cities of other developed nations.

I think its important to ask why brawls break out more frequently in some cities and less frequently in others.

We might learn something.

And we might even act on what we learn.

Nah... probably not.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:48 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,049 times
OK then. Have at it.

See if you can get any funding for a large study examining all the incidences of "brawls" where no one is injured, that happen coincidentally with car accidents. Be sure to check back in with your findings.

This thread can only improve.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:46 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Yet another Downtown brawl. When are we going to see an increase in police presence when the schools let out?

No charges filed after fight breaks out Downtown among teenagers | TribLIVE

Old 06-06-2016, 07:12 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Its actually not a ridiculous question.

Yes, of course brawls occur more frequently in some cities of other developed nations. And, brawls occur much less frequently in yet some cities of other developed nations.

I think its important to ask why brawls break out more frequently in some cities and less frequently in others.

We might learn something.

And we might even act on what we learn.

Nah... probably not.
I'd say that while brawls do occur in other developed countries they are usually accompanied by other factors however such as rioting over some political issue; a sporting event win/loss; alcohol consumption, etc. Much rarer to see people just fighting in the middle of the day over nothing.

If it would occur it's doubtful that you would find people getting upset that it's being discussed especially if it's happening over & over in the same area but burying ones head in the sand over such events seems to be a more American phenomenon as well rather than proactively preventing it.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:19 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,899,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yet another Downtown brawl. When are we going to see an increase in police presence when the schools let out?

No charges filed after fight breaks out Downtown among teenagers | TribLIVE
In addition to more cops being needed - how about actually taking these punks off to Shuman, or if they're stupid enough to do this after their 18th birthday then off to County, and teaching them there are actual consequences to acting like animals?

Old 06-06-2016, 07:23 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
If it would occur it's doubtful that you would find people getting upset that it's being discussed especially if it's happening over & over in the same area but burying ones head in the sand over such events seems to be a more American phenomenon as well rather than proactively preventing it.

I wouldn't even call it an American phenomena - don't blame all of us! It's characteristic to an economic class and a sub-culture. I mean, the Jewish kids aren't brawling on Whitman Street after Temple services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh