Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 02:08 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I like El Burro a lot. But every time I go there, I sort of regret I didn't pick something with a little less grease.
Yeah...the carne asada fries are dangerous.

I just noticed a brand new and very modern looking row house on Emlin, right behind the Rent-A-Center that faces E Ohio. Doesn't look bad, but definitely an interesting exception to the pattern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 02:18 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Yeah...the carne asada fries are dangerous.

I just noticed a brand new and very modern looking row house on Emlin, right behind the Rent-A-Center that faces E Ohio. Doesn't look bad, but definitely an interesting exception to the pattern.
Funny, I went right down Emlin and didn't see it. There are two new-construction rowhouses being built on Forland though which are exceptions, being contemporary in terms of their style. Maybe you saw the back side of these?

Old 06-10-2016, 03:39 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,215 times
Quote:
Funny, I went right down Emlin and didn't see it. There are two new-construction rowhouses being built on Forland though which are exceptions, being contemporary in terms of their style. Maybe you saw the back side of these?
Totally possible -- sort of a blue-gray color with big glass windows? They're not totally out of character, just not as consciously close to the older style as most of the new stuff going up. Anyway yes, on the whole I am really happy that there seems to be an effort to maintain the character of the neighborhood. I have been a little sad that some of the oldest houses on Spring Garden Ave (across 279, near Madison) are slated for demolition, so it's a big consolation that the area isn't changing too much as a whole.

Old 06-12-2016, 10:03 AM

144 posts, read 140,858 times
The Chile Relleno Burrito is SO good at El Burro. I recently went vegetarian and it's food like this that makes it so easy to stop eating meat.

I'm not sure about the topic here, but I love that newer houses are being built with care to match the surrounding architecture in the North Side. Maybe part of it is that the North Side is still not really a "cool" neighborhood so people that do come here aren't too concerned with attracting young people with more modern looking buildings.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:25 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
I predict hardiboard will be this generations aluminum siding (or insert whatever outdated cladding on some older buildings you see).
Glad they're bucking the trend.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:45 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Anyway, obviously there are different strokes for different folks here. I'm not going to claim that the historic styling is objectively better, even though I subjectively think it is. But why can you really only find it in Pittsburgh north of the Allegheny?
I've been mainly looking at new rentals and the modern style is what is popular. I'm guessing it's also the cheaper way for developers to go.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:59 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,276 times
I can only speak to this with any real knowledge or specifics as it applies to the Central Northside where the ACCA (Formally CNNC) has spearheaded a lot of the infill housing. I know that October Development has done some great stuff in Deutchtown.

Anyway, the ACCA has been at the forefront on the Northside at attempting to jumpstart infill construction within the neighborhood. I know it's been a point of emphasis, at least since I moved to the War Streets in 2009. The desire to impact the design of proposed infill housing and preserve the asthetic is also a major reason that the ACCA backed the proposed expansion of the historic district to much of the rest of the neighborhood. While it was defeated, I still believe the expansion is likely to occur in the not so distant future.

This is an RFP from 2013 that sought to build on the momentum from the Federal Hill project, specifically addressing infill: http://www.alleghenycitycentral.org/...ember-2013.pdf

There are a handful of non-historic new construction, see:
Home on Pittsburgh's North Side brings green living to urban setting | TribLIVE
But that's all privately financed.

Finally, I think that the neighborhood has been able to control much of what's been built simply because there hasn't been a really "hot" development market on the Northside so the community development organization plays a bigger role in the project than other areas of the City. The self-selection of those drawn to living in a historic neighborhood against a more modern aesthetic may make developers more hesitant about building such a structure as well.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
There are a handful of non-historic new construction, see:
Home on Pittsburgh's North Side brings green living to urban setting | TribLIVE
But that's all privately financed.
The design isn't awful, but I'm really let down they didn't hew to zero setback. It's not like those are high traffic streets. I'd much rather have the same building built to the corner and then have a larger interior and rear yard.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:24 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
I owned a house in East Allegheny (Avery St.) from 1988 to 1998 and the East Allegheny Community Council was very active in buying and restoring what they could. The infill was just starting back then and the Council worked with a developer for a row of houses on Avery at the site of a large apartment building fire that blended in with the existing architecture.

There were people then who were adamant that any new construction adhere to historical standards, and a lot of it has in the last 20-odd years. But I though East Allegheny was a designated historic district, so I'm confused about the new construction.

It was a great area in which to live, by the way.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I though East Allegheny was a designated historic district, so I'm confused about the new construction.
The city historic district is only the residential streets south of East Ohio, along with everything fronting on the park. Hence the bulk of the northern part of West Deutschtown, and all of East Deutschtown, have no protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh