Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 11:58 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
People in high-tech are snobs.
Very true. Just look at the change of attitude on this sub-forum now that we've become a hip, trendy tech city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 01:38 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
I don't think it's something inherent to high-tech. It's just that high-tech usually means high-salary, which allows you to be a snob. I know plenty of fry cooks and baristas who would avoid the masses and look down their nose from private shuttles and flashy new apartments if they could afford to.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:44 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Keep in mind, if that is approved, it is done so through the Department of Public Works and the Mayor's office.

Don't blame high techies as snobs. Who ISN'T a snob anymore?

Blame those who would ALLOW this to occur. And I agree with MountainDewGuy - it is disturbing that it was even proposed to have usage of a road be exclusive to some. It hasn't been approved yet, to my knowledge anyway.

Let's keep an eye on this.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:06 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
It’s not supposed to be a regular road is it? If it’s like a busway, then of course regular car drivers wouldn’t be allowed to use it. Perhaps the issue is that regular folks can’t walk down to the office park at ALMONO and catch the the bus to Oakland. Is that the fuss? Or do they want it to stop in the neighborhood and pick and drop people off? Either way, sheesh...

Old 06-13-2016, 05:39 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
It’s not supposed to be a regular road is it? If it’s like a busway, then of course regular car drivers wouldn’t be allowed to use it. Perhaps the issue is that regular folks can’t walk down to the office park at ALMONO and catch the the bus to Oakland. Is that the fuss? Or do they want it to stop in the neighborhood and pick and drop people off? Either way, sheesh...
Busway and potentially eventually automated. Part of the fuss is the city didnt get neighborhood approval. It's not clear to me that it's a techie only bus but maybe somebody has some links to more specific news I haven't read. Mostly it's older people that don't want noise in their neighborhood, I thought.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:52 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I don't think it's something inherent to high-tech. It's just that high-tech usually means high-salary, which allows you to be a snob. I know plenty of fry cooks and baristas who would avoid the masses and look down their nose from private shuttles and flashy new apartments if they could afford to.
I don't even know that I'd call it "looking down on" - I see far more verbal abuse towards highly paid tech workers than I see snobbery from the nerds towards the hoi polloi, at least on city data. No nerd I know ever got his panties in a twist because people wore pajamas to the grocery. I'm not a shuttle rider myself but it's not my fault a bunch of Millennials in the Mission District were on basically a vanpool on steroids because they were too urban and special to live anywhere near Mountain View. If they'd lived in the Valley, if there were enough apartments in the Valley TO live in, they'd get flak on CD for being soulless suburbanites guzzling too much gas. You seriously cannot win.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:55 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
The fuss is that it would be a private shuttle, and not a public transit route. I think another issue is that it would use up some of the park land.

A private shuttle itself isn't a problem, but creating a new road on public land just for private shuttles definitely is.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:50 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Pittsburgh is up against Austin, Texas; Columbus, Ohio; Kansas City; Denver; and San Francisco for a $50 million grant to make Pittsburgh a smart city in its traffic flow.

Peduto lays out vision for 'smart' street grid | TribLIVE

Pittsburgh has a good shot with CMU and Pitt behind it as well as PennDOT for expertise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSuKyhIbZrU

I'm all for it, but I don't want LRT left out. The grant money can't buy it, but it's still useful for those high traffic hours, and would allow people to have a carless life if they so choose.
The video is slightly incorrect. We still have massive issues with air pollution (and fracking). If Pittsburgh (and Pennsylvania) truly wants to be progressive, then we need to stop building these plants and put a ban on fracking statewide.

Most Polluted Cities - American Lung Association | State of the Air 2015

//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...ker-plant.html

Old 06-14-2016, 05:29 AM

778 posts, read 839,749 times
Pennsylvania doesn't really want to be progressive. It's tough for Pittsburgh to control what goes on in outlying counties and West Virginia/Ohio, which we are downwind of.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:48 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
Pennsylvania doesn't really want to be progressive. It's tough for Pittsburgh to control what goes on in outlying counties and West Virginia/Ohio, which we are downwind of.
Allegheny County:

Group plans to sue U.S. Steel for Clairton air pollution violations | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Toxic Ten | PennEnvironment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh