Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 07:30 AM

58 posts, read 55,322 times

Advertisements

Mylan tight-lipped on plans for second HQ building | Washington Co. | Observer-Reporter

Good news for Southpointe which is just booming. They must be closing in on being totally built out down there. More jobs for the region is a good thing. It is not all or none, city vs suburb...they should complement one another to help make Pittsburgh and SWPA a nice place to live and work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 08:19 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,051,508 times
Makes perfect sense. Good for Southpointe. And you are right, that adds to the strength of the region.

I hate being a parade rainer...these are just my thoughts: places like Southpointe just add more car and highway dependency. That means more pollution. There is no city center there, where someone can have an option to walk.

I'd say it's not so bad NOW since the United States develops more of our own gasoline (I abhor the thought of we being so dependent on other countries like Saudi Arabia, especially). At least there is that, and the increased use of electric vehicles (which, presumedly, would increase in the future).

But this is just another perspective. Just for discussion, not for angry debate.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:20 AM

994 posts, read 900,752 times
Is the MBA fraud still CEO?

Old 06-23-2016, 11:46 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Makes perfect sense. Good for Southpointe. And you are right, that adds to the strength of the region.

I hate being a parade rainer...these are just my thoughts: places like Southpointe just add more car and highway dependency. That means more pollution. There is no city center there, where someone can have an option to walk.

I'd say it's not so bad NOW since the United States develops more of our own gasoline (I abhor the thought of we being so dependent on other countries like Saudi Arabia, especially). At least there is that, and the increased use of electric vehicles (which, presumedly, would increase in the future).

But this is just another perspective. Just for discussion, not for angry debate.
Cars are becoming more fuel-efficient, so I'm not really worried about pollution like I would have been 10 years ago. Here's hoping oil prices rebound enough for our oil extraction to become profitable again, but not so much that high prices kill the economy. Seems to me like the sweet spot for gasoline is between $2.50 and $3.00 per gallon. Less than $2.50, and our oil reserves are mostly unprofitable. More than $3.00, and the economy begins to strain.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:22 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post

I get what you're saying, but actually they did build a town center with apartments and restaurants, and a couple of shops even I believe. They are right near the new Mylan building. If you lived in one of the new apartments, and they built a grocery store you could conceivably have to drive very little during the week. They also did put in sidewalks to connect things.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:34 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I get what you're saying, but actually they did build a town center with apartments and restaurants, and a couple of shops even I believe. They are right near the new Mylan building. If you lived in one of the new apartments, and they built a grocery store you could conceivably have to drive very little during the week. They also did put in sidewalks to connect things.
I have to do some business out in Southpointe this week. Any recommendations on a nicer restaurant for a business lunch? Non-chain is preferable, and definitely not Italian food.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:42 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I have to do some business out in Southpointe this week. Any recommendations on a nicer restaurant for a business lunch? Non-chain is preferable, and definitely not Italian food.
There's a place there called Montana's Rib & Chop House that most people like and they have a decent happy hour too. I don't think it's a chain but if it is it must be on a small scale I've never seen one before in any of my travels.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 06-27-2016 at 08:50 AM..

Old 06-27-2016, 10:28 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,149,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
There's a place there called Montana's Rib & Chop House that most people like and they have a decent happy hour too. I don't think it's a chain but if it is it must be on a small scale I've never seen one before in any of my travels.
It's a small chain with locations in Utah, Montana, and Wyoming but then there are randomly three locations in PA as well.

Rib & Chop House Restaurant Locations

Old 06-27-2016, 10:32 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,194,328 times
The one in Meadville is very good. Only one I've been to.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:33 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,717 times
Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh