Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 12:59 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,008,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xammy View Post
Lofts generally don't have outdoor space, though, do they?
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 01:07 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,857,802 times
Quote:
Btw, I've decided Pittsburgh is completely backwards in my brain! I look at Penn Hills and it looks totally pleasant, and it's apparently to be avoided... I look at East Liberty and think "NO WAY: DANGER!" and hear it's the new hot spot! haha Does not compute! :P
I've always liked Penn Hills but sadly it is headed for a decline. Most of the trouble coming in the future is based on property taxes. Yes, we don't have a clothing tax but we have high taxes on other items, such as property taxes, drinks, and gas. Wish Penn Hills could turn itself around though.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:08 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,498,965 times
You're looking for the suburbs. The problem you'll have is - the larger the lot, the farther from downtown and the longer the commute time. I live in the South Hills. In this part of town, check out Bethel Park. Mt Lebanon is also nice, but more pricey.

The North Hills also has many suburban neighborhoods that would be good, but I'm less familiar with that area.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:14 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,287,663 times
Quote:
There goes my next two hours to Google :P We could do a loft if it had some sort of outdoor area of our own (again, with at least some privacy) and an elevator. On top of it all we have one dog that needs to be carried up / down any stairs after shoulder surgery, and the other is getting old. We've been carrying them up and down three flights of stairs for every walk and have had just about enough of that! :P
I am by no means attempting to dissuade you from your goal of living in a single-family detached dwelling in a suburban environment. It just seems like those homes as rentals in this area tend to be egregiously overpriced if you want a good commute to Downtown, a yard, and pet-friendliness.

Penn Hills isn't really dangerous at all for law-abiding people. My reason for discouraging you from looking there would be due to the horrible commute to get Downtown from there. Penn Hills is mostly post-WWII suburban tract housing---some neighborhoods within Penn Hills have aged better than others. Sidewalks are rare. Shoulders along roads are narrow, and cars speed, which makes it dangerous to ride a bicycle or go jogging along main roads.

I love the suggestion of Stanton Heights. There was also a nice detached home for rent recently here in Polish Hill, which is very proximate to Downtown.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/5653081976.html

Old 06-25-2016, 02:28 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,008,136 times
Is there any green space?

Old 06-25-2016, 03:05 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,498,965 times
Here ya go. This a duplex, but it's a nice safe neighborhood in dormont steps to the commuter train to downtown and pets are accepted.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/5632682715.html

Old 06-25-2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Here ya go. This a duplex, but it's a nice safe neighborhood in dormont steps to the commuter train to downtown and pets are accepted.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/5632682715.html
Ohhhhh! Me likey that dining room ceiling!

Old 06-25-2016, 10:48 PM

56 posts, read 64,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Ohhhhh! Me likey that dining room ceiling!
Me too! Although any house I look at now would be gone by the time we are actually moving. We are still waiting for our visa to be approved, which would give us an entry date of Oct 1 at the earliest. I like getting an idea of what's available for our prices and where to look, though! It will be the first time my poor husband has ever lived in real winter, what a shock it will be to his system!

What is the farthest out to the north / south we should go to still have a commute time of about 25 mins or less? A few of the people my husband works with live in the north in Fox Chapel and Glenshaw, and then in the south in the Green Tree area.

Btw, are dishwashers that screw onto the kitchen sink still a thing? I've never seen them over here but I had one when I lived in Toronto. I see a lot of places without dishwashers that we'd consider if those were still an option.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:49 AM

56 posts, read 64,035 times
This is an example of exactly what we'd be looking for. Granted, we'll likely have to give on things when the time really comes. In a perfect world, I mean. Chances are we'll have to make some compromises when the time comes and even try an apartment or something, but this is the kind of place I'd like to land in (although I don't know anything about the neighbourhood).

4125 Millington Road, Pittsburgh, PA | Trulia

or this:

http://www.trulia.com/rental/3236615...burgh-PA-15234

Last edited by Xammy; 06-26-2016 at 01:02 AM..

Old 06-26-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
This is an example of exactly what we'd be looking for. Granted, we'll likely have to give on things when the time really comes. In a perfect world, I mean. Chances are we'll have to make some compromises when the time comes and even try an apartment or something, but this is the kind of place I'd like to land in (although I don't know anything about the neighbourhood).

4125 Millington Road, Pittsburgh, PA | Trulia

or this:

942 Margaretta Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA | Trulia
Both of these homes would be perfect for you. Both neighborhoods are safe. The first home is in the Greenfield neighborhood of the city proper. It is in a hilly part of the neighborhood and isn't walkable to many amenities, but you're a quick drive to neighborhood conveniences as well as to The Waterfront, which is a large suburban-styled shopping area with chain restaurants, big-box stores, a movie theater, etc. Your husband would be able to walk to a bus on Greenfield Avenue that would go Downtown.

The second home is in the suburbs, but it's a quick walk to the "T" light rail. All things considered the commutes would probably be comparably-timed. The trains are slow here, but they have their own dedicated right-of-way. The bus would seem faster, but if there's a traffic jam on Greenfield Avenue or Second Avenue between Greenfield and Downtown, then the bus just gets stuck in it with everyone else.

I'd personally be happy living in either home. As a "city mouse" Greenfield would be the one I'd pick, but living in a part of Mt. Lebanon, Castle Shannon, or Dormont that's accessible to the "T" is also great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh