Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 08:11 AM

325 posts, read 323,094 times

Advertisements

Doing a mls search looking for a livable unit in a Mt Washington, Sq Hill, Shadyside, Lawrenceville,

Bloomfield, South Side, Oakland or even Dormont. There is hardly any homes For 100k or under that are

move in condition (outdated old kitchen and baths, also with dirty flooring throughout) available in these

areas.. When I was looking 3 years ago these seemed plentiful. Now you can only find them in Carrick and

the North Side hill areas.... It sure is hard to find a flip now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 08:48 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky329 View Post
Doing a mls search looking for a livable unit in a Mt Washington, Sq Hill, Shadyside, Lawrenceville,

Bloomfield, South Side, Oakland or even Dormont. There is hardly any homes For 100k or under that are

move in condition (outdated old kitchen and baths, also with dirty flooring throughout) available in these

areas.. When I was looking 3 years ago these seemed plentiful. Now you can only find them in Carrick and

People who are flipping properties in the neighborhoods you mentioned aren't looking for houses in "move in condition". They actually expend their time and energy in rehabbing degraded properties. This is a lot more helpful to an area than buying a property and merely sitting on it until others do the work to improve a neighborhood.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
People who are flipping properties in the neighborhoods you mentioned aren't looking for houses in "move in condition". They actually expend their time and energy in rehabbing degraded properties. This is a lot more helpful to an area than buying a property and merely sitting on it until others do the work to improve a neighborhood.

I am more of a owner occupant flipper.. Live there while I do repairs and sell.. Im not Re360 or some company

Old 07-14-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I am more of a owner occupant flipper.. Live there while I do repairs and sell.. Im not Re360 or some company
Oh... that makes sense then. IMO that's the best kind.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:03 AM

It does seem like you are focusing on neighborhoods that are mostly developed already. There should be some mid-ground between the neighborhoods you listed and Northside Hilltop or Carrick. Why not try the inner ring subirbs like Etna, Sharpsburg or Millvale? They are close to the "core".

Old 07-14-2016, 09:11 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,467 times
Quote:

there are still some, was one yesterday in Southside Flats, but it was pending by noon.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:26 AM

110 posts, read 95,873 times
Quote:

East Deutschtown. Edit to clarify: It certainly is not a developed neighborhood, but it is definitely good for a flip.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:26 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
A $50K-$100K house that is livable is still possible in the East End, but barely. Mostly in sketchy areas like the upper portions of Garfield or Hazelwood. Occasionally you'll see run-down houses in Greenfield (particularly Four Mile Run) at that price range, but they stretch the definition of habitable.

That price range in the North Side can still buy you into a wide range of areas which aren't the ghetto, including Spring Hill, Brighton Heights, and Troy Hill. You could even afford something in East Deutschtown, although at that price range it will need a lot of work.

The most options are undoubtedly in the south of the city. Brookline or Beechview are where I would look at that price range personally. You can even find a couple things in Mount Washington still.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
A $50K-$100K house that is livable is still possible in the East End, but barely. Mostly in sketchy areas like the upper portions of Garfield or Hazelwood. Occasionally you'll see run-down houses in Greenfield (particularly Four Mile Run) at that price range, but they stretch the definition of habitable.

That price range in the North Side can still buy you into a wide range of areas which aren't the ghetto, including Spring Hill, Brighton Heights, and Troy Hill. You could even afford something in East Deutschtown, although at that price range it will need a lot of work.

The most options are undoubtedly in the south of the city. Brookline or Beechview are where I would look at that price range personally. You can even find a couple things in Mount Washington still.
That area of the Mount really has low value.. Close to Allentown and Beltzhoover side I see slipping.. (I live by Shiloh/Prospect corridor).. I have no interest in Brookline, beechview, etna, greenfield, etc.. These are workman/poorer like areas and are a tough sell on the mls... I like Troy Hill a tiny bit but would have to have a view if I plan on investing a lot in it the same goes for Spring Hill and Brighton Heights I just don't like that area not much going on

Old 07-14-2016, 10:03 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
That area of the Mount really has low value.. Close to Allentown and Beltzhoover side I see slipping.. (I live by Shiloh/Prospect corridor).
My understanding is that area of Mount Washington has stabilized in the last 2-3 years, but maybe you know more as a local.

Quote:
I have no interest in Brookline, beechview, etna, greenfield, etc.. These are workman/poorer like areas and are a tough sell on the mls.
What is it you are looking for exactly? Urban and walkable?

Quote:
I like Troy Hill a tiny bit but would have to have a view if I plan on investing a lot in it the same goes for Spring Hill and Brighton Heights I just don't like that area not much going on.
I like the look of this two-unit that went on the market recently in Troy Hill. No view, but the building looks solid, is right next to a parlket and in the most walkable part of Troy Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh