Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 12:01 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
If the police pull back from black neighborhoods as they have in Baltimore, there will be far more killings.

But no one will protest.
Can't blame them for pulling back. They're dealing with those who have no respect for human life and others that will defend them saying they're being treated unfairly. It's a lose lose scenario for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 12:15 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Can't blame them for pulling back. They're dealing with those who have no respect for human life and others that will defend them saying they're being treated unfairly. It's a lose lose scenario for them.
Keep in mind the percentage of criminals are low, but they create a lot of issues. There are far more people living in black areas that have jobs and work hard than there are that are causing problems. Lets not forget that. Homewood for example there are events like Jazz on the Steps, a very active YMCA there, Children's Village and a large retirement community. I think people generalize too often and I am guilty of it myself.

Homewood is also getting a large investment soon that will enhance the already in place activities.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Keep in mind the percentage of criminals are low, but they create a lot of issues. There are far more people living in black areas that have jobs and work hard than there are that are causing problems. Lets not forget that. Homewood for example there are events like Jazz on the Steps, a very active YMCA there, Children's Village and a large retirement community. I think people generalize too often and I am guilty of it myself.

Homewood is also getting a large investment soon that will enhance the already in place activities.
Unfortunately, a few bad apples spoil the cart. It's one thing when you can take care of those bad apples, it's another when others defend how they're taken care of.

I expect if/when things are similar to the Baltimore link you provided, people may change their tune. In the meantime I can see police pulling back and/or taking better jobs in greener pastures.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:30 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Here is an interview with Pittsburgh's Chief of Police. Seems like a very balanced interview.

Pittsburgh Police Chief Weighs In On Last Week's Shootings : NPR

Old 07-15-2016, 12:35 PM

34 posts, read 30,420 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, a few bad apples spoil the cart. It's one thing when you can take care of those bad apples, it's another when others defend how they're taken care of.

I expect if/when things are similar to the Baltimore link you provided, people may change their tune. In the meantime I can see police pulling back and/or taking better jobs in greener pastures.
Do you feel that the bolded applies to law enforcement, too?

Old 07-15-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corneliuswonder View Post
Do you feel that the bolded applies to law enforcement, too?
It applies to anyone who does wrong.

I expect, however, that those judging the police couldn't walk or last 2 hours in their shoes...but call and want them there immediately to protect them and then complain how they do it. Be interesting to see what happens when the police aren't there.

Last edited by erieguy; 07-15-2016 at 12:48 PM..

Old 07-15-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
It applies to anyone who does wrong.

I expect, however, that those judging the police couldn't walk or last 2 hours in their shoes.
So, under your logic, everyone is spoiled then? If a few bad members of the community (like you said) condemns all of the law-abiding members of the community, and a few bad members of the police spoil all police, who isn't spoiled? If someone beats his wife in your neighborhood, or breaks into a house in your neighborhood, or the bank a mile away from you is robbed, does that make you guilty by association? That seems to be what you're arguing.

Edit (I just noticed you edited your post): If officers want to refuse to do their jobs - the jobs that they chose to sign up for with their own free will - they should either resign or be terminated. If an officer is only looking for shortcuts, looking for the easy way out, or looking to get out of dodge as quickly as possible, the community is probably better off without them. So yes - if someone in Zone 5 calls the police because they need help, they should absolutely expect them to arrive promptly and be professional, because that is their job - regardless of how the person has been treated by police in the past or even regardless of their opinion. Nobody's forcing them to be a police officer - the phrase is "to protect and serve", not "to protect and serve only those who support the police". What you're suggesting seems to align much more with an organized crime-esque protection arrangement than what society expects from their police in the 21st century.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
So, under your logic, everyone is spoiled then? If a few bad members of the community (like you said) condemns all of the law-abiding members of the community, and a few bad members of the police spoil all police, who isn't spoiled? If someone beats his wife in your neighborhood, or breaks into a house in your neighborhood, or the bank a mile away from you is robbed, does that make you guilty by association? That seems to be what you're arguing.
Nope. Bad assumption and you picked apart and only quoted part of my post even before it was edited. Read it all and perhaps you'll better understand.

As I've said before, those complaining about how the criminals are treated should address them about not committing crimes. No crime no issues. But instead it may turn into a "don't know what you got till it's gone" scenario in regards to police protection.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Nope. Bad assumption and you picked apart and only quoted part of my post even before it was edited. Read it all and perhaps you'll better understand.

As I've said before, those complaining about how the criminals are treated should address them about not committing crimes. No crime no issues.
I'm afraid I'll need to clarify for me to understand, then, because I really don't see or understand your point. And, for the record, I quoted the entirety of your post as it appeared pre-edit. I answered the remainder in a separate edit.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I'm afraid I'll need to clarify for me to understand, then, because I really don't see or understand your point. And, for the record, I quoted the entirety of your post as it appeared pre-edit. I answered the remainder in a separate edit.
Actually, you didn't...but either way, I hope if the police are going to be criticized and even threatened with bodily harm for doing their jobs, I hope they do pull back or even out of zone 5. It won't be long for those complaining will be begging for them to come back and/or not be as lax in their patrols, calls, arrests, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh