Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 11:27 AM

11 posts, read 8,195 times

Advertisements

Starting a new job in downtown Pittsburgh, income of 80k, fiance will be working too- at least 50-60 once settled, and have about a 1/4 million equity to work with for housing.

No children yet, don't drink, fiance has a phobia about parallel parking, looking for a modern community, very safe, low crime rate.

No desire to live directly in the center city, the neighborhoods somewhat adjacent seem to be fine online.

Anyone from either of these neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 11:46 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Just to clarify, since I had to Google where those places are, you're looking for exurban neighborhoods?

Old 07-14-2016, 11:49 AM

Looking for neighborhoods adjacent to Pittsburgh, safe and I think I prefer suburban type neighborhoods to the north which I understand is an easier commute than locations in the other directions of the compass.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:54 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
You do understand that Pittsburgh is only one portion of Allegheny County correct? All of the townships you listed are in southern Butler County, quite a good distance away from the city. Certainly not "somewhat adjacent."

You could live in that area and commute into the City no problem. Plenty of people do, and the commute on 279 into the city isn't bad. Keep in mind however that parking in Downtown Pittsburgh is expensive and hard to come by however.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
You do understand that Pittsburgh is only one portion of Allegheny County correct? All of the townships you listed are in southern Butler County, quite a good distance away from the city. Certainly not "somewhat adjacent."

I knew it was 25-30 miles from the downtown area, but that's really not that far in my book. I think there is enough shopping and dining options in those areas, so the commute would only be for work.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:08 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Out of curiosity, where are you coming from? The Pittsburgh metro area is relatively compact, so many Burghers would say that a 30-mile one-way commute is pretty huge.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:11 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_Soul View Post
I knew it was 25-30 miles from the downtown area, but that's really not that far in my book. I think there is enough shopping and dining options in those areas, so the commute would only be for work.
As I said, the commute is not horrible, but I hope you get a dedicated parking space with your job. Pittsburgh has among the most expensive downtown parking in the country. The charge to park per day downtown is $13-$25 depending upon the lot. You can get parking rates of $10 or less if you park on the North Shore and ride or take the T across, but you might need to get into town earlier than you would otherwise like in order to ensure a good space in a cheap lot.

Edit: As many people use mass transit as drive in Downtown Pittsburgh, as round-trip transit costs are cheaper than parking. it might be worth your while to locate along a transit line and not deal with the hassle of Downtown parking.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Out of curiosity, where are you coming from? The Pittsburgh metro area is relatively compact, so many Burghers would say that a 30-mile one-way commute is pretty huge.
Coming from the Dallas area, but I've lived in Florida as well.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:19 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
I've never heard of any of these places, but they're 97, 98, and 99% white. I didn't know such places still existed in America. Most affluent areas at least have Asians, and rural areas tend to have a Latino population to work in agribusiness.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:26 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_Soul View Post
Coming from the Dallas area, but I've lived in Florida as well.
Yes, I think you might want to look around Cranberry if you want newer construction and a suburban lifestyle. Just keep in mind that those distances you see on the map will feel much further once the snow hits in winter. They generally clear the freeways quickly and snow removal is fine in the suburbs, so many people have no problem with it at all, but it's something to remember as you consider your commuting time and also decide whether or not to invest in a different car as part of your move. There are closer areas in Ross Township where you have good freeway access and only about half as many miles to drive to downtown, and so that area might be worth exploring too though the housing stock is more of a mix of new and old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh