Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 12:21 PM

595 posts, read 595,159 times

Advertisements

The Ohio chain I really want is White Castle. I know calling what they serve "food" is questionable as best, but there's something about them I love.

I'm happy with Penn Station, though the 3 area locations fail to capture the spirit of the original (or even some of the other Ohio chains). Part of the appeal was watching them make the food, which you don't see in the Pittsburgh area locations since everything is done behind a tall counter. They serve "fresh squeezed" lemonade here, but they actually fresh squeeze the lemonade at the locations I've been to in Ohio. The cookies here are pre-wrapped instead of sent through the oven. It's still fine or whatever, but they're missing some of the WOW factor by cutting a few corners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 12:26 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,681,776 times
I could be wrong, but I believe they were once in Pittsburgh...as recent as the 1950s perhaps ; possibly even in the 60s, but fairly certain in the 30's to 40s....OH I am referencing White Castle...sorry! Someone call Rick Seback, he'll know the answer!

Last edited by corpgypsy; 07-18-2016 at 01:21 PM..

Old 07-19-2016, 10:01 PM

75 posts, read 93,085 times
We recently moved to OH from Pgh. So far, my vote for an OH chain to expand east would be Heinen's, a grocer headquartered in Cleveland. Pretty comparable in price to Giant Eagle*, but such better quality! And actual people work there, who are actually helpful and knowledgeable and polite. Which was completely not the case with my old GE.

I suspect Heinen's wouldn't move east, though, due to the alcohol sales restrictions. My Heinens has a pretty fantastic wine and beer section that probably partially subsidizes the amazing produce, meat, and deli.

* I would say that prices on meat, produce, and deli are better at Heinen's. The middle aisles are more expensive at Heinen's than at GE, but I usually use Costco for that stuff anyway (as I did in Pgh).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh