Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 04:18 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
That's incorrect in a big way. .
I beg to differ. Pittsburgh-area office deals sink to lowest level in 4 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
That's incorrect in a big way. The office OCCUPANCY rate is at a a four year high. The metro finished 2007 with a vacancy rate of 12.6% compared to 14.5% in the first quarter. The downtown vacancy rate is also on the decline and UPMC of course just bought a huge chunk of the US Steel building which will drop the rate even more, probably to a low that Pittsburgh hasn't seen in many years. People are renting and buying available office space in Pittsburgh at a very appreciable rate (comparative to Pittsburgh).
"In the fourth quarter of 2007, the region ranked 67th out of the 79 metropolitan areas analyzed in the study as compared to a ranking of 77th one year prior." So says the Pittsburgh Business Times. That's not something to brag about. Unless you're bragging that Pittsbugh's not dead last....

Last edited by londonbarcelona; 02-25-2008 at 04:32 PM..

Old 02-25-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I do not think its just the city leaders its also the people. They want to keep their city as is, but also want it to grow economically.
Economic growth will change some of Pittsburgh's dynamics, but the folks in Pittsburgh do not seem to want that.
I've been saying that forever and all I ever get is verbally spanked for voicing the obvious. Like you, having lived in several other areas of the world, I too, am taking my toys and going home. I put Pittsburgh in the same league as Buffalo. And that's really sad...

Old 02-25-2008, 04:28 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times
Quote:
I beg to differ. Pittsburgh-area office deals sink to lowest level in 4 years
We are talking about two different things. I am talking about actual occupancy rates and you are talking about actual sales-volume. The last Grubb & Ellis report shows the occupancy rate trends.
Quote:
Then why are you moving if everything is so rosey, "dear?"
I've explained that many times and I'm certainly not ashamed to say it again. I love Pittsburgh. I think for the cost-of-living, it is hard to beat this city in terms of things to do, things to see, culture, charm, and uniqueness. However, I'm a young guy, there's a great big world out there, and I want to see some of it. For those who don't know, I am relocating to Seattle this summer after I get licensed because I fell in love with Seattle and want to experience the west coast for a while! And I hear all these people moving from the west coast to Pittsburgh and anticipate that you will love it here! Everyone needs a change once in a while, whether by choice, or by force.

I am actually waiting for the Riverparc development to begin in 2009. If I am tired of Seattle in a few years, I'll be back! I can't WAIT for that development.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:09 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Humanoid,

From what I have seen, it is a real mix in the Downtown apartments: students, working class, and professionals. I don't know off hand how many are corporate rentals.

As for the upcoming state of the credit and real estate markets: I certainly think you could be right. But I have learned that economic forecasting is extremely tough, and so we shall have to wait and see what happens.

But I do think it is worth noting that it is entirely possible different segments of the housing market in different cities will experience different dynamics. This in fact is the historical norm for real estate (the residential markets being very "balkanized"), and it was a bit unusual to see such a relatively widespread similarity in the dynamic across the country. And it is of course true that this first round of unusually widespread appreciation sets the stage for a similarly widespread dynamic of depreciation, but as you note, Pittsburgh did not participate in the appreciation dynamic as much as many places.

But again, we shall see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh