Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 03:13 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times

Advertisements

[quote=Humanoid;2917156]Actually, this is what a lot of people do in Pittsburgh too.

A lot of people like to eat out too because they can't afford it.

I do ask you, which places do you like to eat downtown, that are reasonably priced and good? The only comparable place I can think of downtown that is reasonably priced and sit down is Max and Erma's but I have a sneaking suspicion you may not like that either.

My point is, Eat n Park is a very popular restarant chain in the area (if not the most popular) and people from ALL walks of life eat there, which is what downtown is trying to attract. Maybe the reason it hasn't been downtown is because no one ever thought of it.

I'm sorry that Eat n Park is not up to your standards because they don't have a wine list, but whether you like it or not, people will eat there, regardless of class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 07:09 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
I don't think anyone was talking about the government putting an Eat n' Park Downtown. I thought it was more just a suggestion of something that could work for the Eat n' Park chain as developers continue to add residential units Downtown.

By the way, it occurs to me it is a little odd to being arguing about whether an Eat n' Park could work where a lot of professionals live, seeing as how there is an Eat n' Park in the heart of Squirrel Hill.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:13 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,069,039 times
Quote:
By the way, it occurs to me it is a little odd to being arguing about whether an Eat n' Park could work where a lot of professionals live, seeing as how there is an Eat n' Park in the heart of Squirrel Hill.
That is a very busy one, too. I don't think Eat n Park is THAT great in anything, but there's something about it. People love it. I love it, and I can admit it's a little overpriced for the food you get.

I mean the smiley cookies are part of Pittsburgh heritage and so is their Christmas commercial. There's just something about being bored and hungry or late and hungry that "HEY, let's head to Eat n Park!" puts a smile on my face.

I don't think it would be unreasonable to put something so Pittsburgh-like in downtown Pittsburgh, where I also think it would be successful. They don't HAVE to be 24 hours, either. So if they find that they don't get a crowd at all late at night (which I imagine they wouldn't right off the back but could as more people live downtown) they can close. I imagine it would do very well during business hours, though.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:39 PM

160 posts, read 164,525 times
Question???????????

What do you want in that area as far as food is concered?

Give some ideas.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:40 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,154,654 times
Quote:
Eat n' Park could work where a lot of professionals live, seeing as how there is an Eat n' Park in the heart of Squirrel Hill.
Have you spent much time in Squirrel Hill? The three biggest demographics are low income Jews, students and university employees (both faculty and otherwise). Needless to say the consuming habits of all three of these groups is dramatically different than "young professionals" that downtown is trying to attract.

Quote:
I thought it was more just a suggestion of something that could work for the Eat n' Park chain as developers
Sure, but the city has given away tax money to open stores that should never have been open. And its largely based on these sorts of....should I say.. naive suggestions. But I've already said why I think the suggests are bad.

Quote:
they don't have a wine list, but whether you like it or not, people will eat there, regardless of class.
I'm sorry people do not eat there regardless of class. America has a pretty rigid class system, sorry if you don't notice it. Anyhow, no restaurant, region, brand etc attracts "all walks of live". Eat'n park is a restaurant that targets the lower classes, just look at the menu.

Regardless, this back and forth is not going anywhere. I'm just glad Pittsburgh has such good armchair business folk, they are able to so clearly see the business opportunities that real business folk are too stupid to see.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Have you spent much time in Squirrel Hill? The three biggest demographics are low income Jews, students and university employees (both faculty and otherwise). Needless to say the consuming habits of all three of these groups is dramatically different than "young professionals" that downtown is trying to attract.
There is a thriving Eat N Parks in Wexford and Adam's Township, too, not a lot of University kids that way and a whole lotta business.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:47 PM

160 posts, read 164,525 times
WOW that's interesting Low income Jews in squirrel hill.......I always had the impression they had a lot of money. Like NYC Jews they are amazing at investing and hiding it.

I have never met a low income Jew. I know one thing the Orthodox and Hasidic Jews a Billionaire........ they just don't show it.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Oh, good Lord, humanoid! Maybe you don't ever darken Eat n Park's doors, but you are about the only one in Pittsburgh who doesn't! There is one in Wexford that was doing a great business at dinner one night when I was there, and Wexford is an upscale kind of place. At least the execs eat there with their families. I think Eat n Park would be a fine restaurant for downtown.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:48 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,154,654 times
Quote:
What do you want in that area as far as food is concered?
Variety. After living in Pittsburgh many of the things I didn't like at first grew on me, but I never was happy with the food in the area.
When moving to Pittsburgh you can pretty much rule out eating real Asian, Mexican, South America etc food.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
WOW that's interesting Low income Jews in squirrel hill.......I always had the impression they had a lot of money. Like NYC Jews they are amazing at investing and hiding it.

I have never met a low income Jew. I know one thing the Orthodox and Hasidic Jews a Billionaire........ they just don't show it.
There are tons of wealthy Jews in Sq. Hill, NYSTYLE, Humanoid was implying that they wouldn't be caught dead at Eat n Park and only the low-income Jews go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh