Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 06:50 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Pittsburgh is 1-3 in pre season games. I hope they are better in the regular season. Their back up quarterbacks are terrible.
Just so you know, the 1978 Steelers followed up a 1-3 pre-season record with a 14-2 regular season record (best in the NFL) and a Super Bowl championship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 08:57 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Well, here we are, just two weeks from the conclusion of the season, and possibly 5 days from winning the division.

Hope no one minds the resurrection of a long, older thread.

Thoughts?

I think if they beat Baltimore, that would be AWESOME since it practically means a bye before heading to the post-season (by playing Cleveland, a game they would not need - and that would be an excellent opportunity for the backups to get experience, too!).

This game vs. Baltimore: Excellent timing - they are playing well, with minimal injuries, at home, on a holiday (a fired up, excited home crowd).

I'm looking for some "aha!" piece of data from the Ravens' schedule, but there is none - they have played against decent teams, beaten the Eagles (who killed us), and held their own in a few losses.

If Pittsburgh can actually CONTINUE a drive inside the 30 or so, I would be very confident they can score on baltimore, control the game, and get outta there with the prize.

On Christmas Day, no less! This will be one to remember.....

Old 12-19-2016, 09:04 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
I'll be more optimistic if/when we wrap up the division and Bell isn't injured again by being run into the ground. While I despise the Patriots, I still laugh and love seeing Blount being so successful. That entire scenario that 2014 season, arguably cost us a 7th SB, however.

As much as I hate to say it and it's still pretty early as anything can happen, especially with injuries, I don't see us at this point being able to beat the Pats so if we do get in, I think we need another AFC team to do that dirty work for us. However, as long as we have Ben we have a chance.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:57 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Well, here we are, just two weeks from the conclusion of the season, and possibly 5 days from winning the division.

Hope no one minds the resurrection of a long, older thread.

Thoughts?

I think if they beat Baltimore, that would be AWESOME since it practically means a bye before heading to the post-season (by playing Cleveland, a game they would not need - and that would be an excellent opportunity for the backups to get experience, too!).

This game vs. Baltimore: Excellent timing - they are playing well, with minimal injuries, at home, on a holiday (a fired up, excited home crowd).

I'm looking for some "aha!" piece of data from the Ravens' schedule, but there is none - they have played against decent teams, beaten the Eagles (who killed us), and held their own in a few losses.

If Pittsburgh can actually CONTINUE a drive inside the 30 or so, I would be very confident they can score on baltimore, control the game, and get outta there with the prize.

On Christmas Day, no less! This will be one to remember.....
It didn't look good for a while. Thankfully they, we, didn't have to suffer a loss to the Ravens. That would have made digestion more difficult.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:34 PM

*holding heart* i DID swear off the NFL last year...gee, wonder why????

Good job - no injuries, no doubt about it (no controversies)...and a game next week that is meaningless, for the most part.

The Bengals are a joke, but still - down by 14 at one point. Against Balt., an even tougher team, down by 13. This team is serious, folks!

Old 12-25-2016, 08:38 PM

We're not that good yet. We can't beat NE on the road and we can't get a 1st round bye. Hopefully we peak in the coming weeks and everyone gets/stays healthy. Most importantly when they do, and when/if we're ahead, they get sat and the backups play.

Last edited by erieguy; 12-25-2016 at 08:54 PM..

Old 12-26-2016, 09:26 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
I don't want to see a single meaningful starter step foot on the field next week

Old 12-26-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I don't want to see a single meaningful starter step foot on the field next week
Yeah. I wouldn't count on that happening. Tomlin still gets reminded about the 2014 mismanagement so he'll have to show the naysayers he can do it again.

Old 12-26-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I'd have no problem with that beyond, say, 22 minutes into the game!

It would be a good time to experiment, try out different things, throw to Jesse James more to test him out, etc.

Question is - that four game losing streak. I saw so little of each of those games, and none of the one vs. Baltimore because I was so preoccupied during that time period. What WAS the problem? What is the difference between then and now?

I can answer with ONE facet - the defense is playing so much better, & more cohesively. But besides that, who knows.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
I'd have no problem with that beyond, say, 22 minutes into the game!

It would be a good time to experiment, try out different things, throw to Jesse James more to test him out, etc.

Question is - that four game losing streak. I saw so little of each of those games, and none of the one vs. Baltimore because I was so preoccupied during that time period. What WAS the problem? What is the difference between then and now?

I can answer with ONE facet - the defense is playing so much better, & more cohesively. But besides that, who knows.
3 of the 4 teams in that stretch are good teams with very good records. Dolphins, Cowboys and Patriots.

We have 5 wins against teams with winning records.

Beyond the Giants we haven't played a playoff team since and could be wrong but one of the easiest schedules in the league since midway through the season.

One bullet dodged and unfortunately for him and the Raiders is that Carr is out for the season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh