Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 12:04 PM

58 posts, read 55,327 times

Advertisements

Took a ride on the Montour Trail for the first time in a few years this past weekend. Nice to see they have bridged several gaps in Peters and Hills Hendersonville, as well as closing the biggest gap remaining at the newly configured 980/50 intersection in Cecil. The Library viaduct has also been rehabbed, setting them up nicely to complete the remaining sections to Clairton.

There is a new branch to Westland adjacent to the reborn rail line as well.

At McDonald where it intersects with the Panhandle, I noticed the latter has been paved in asphalt. I've been told the paving extends all the way to Burgettstown which is a good 10-15 miles if true.

I'd suggest that you city riders take a day trip and check out these suburban trails one of these days. Plenty of cool bridges and even a few tunnels to pass over/through. One can take the T to library from the city and catch the Montour there if a car isn't an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 12:58 PM

395 posts, read 488,316 times
I haven't explored the Montour/Panhandle trail yet ( except for a tiny part of it in Clairton) but have you checked out the Yough River Trail? That's nice too.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:53 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,588,900 times
The montour trail is really very pretty. I used to live right beside it in Hendersonville. They have a very active Facebook page where you can get updates and information about all of the projects going on. They are constantly working to improve the trail.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:26 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
I was on that new asphalt a few weeks ago, very nice.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:55 PM

10 posts, read 10,556 times
In 2017 on the Montour they plan on adding a short extension not far from where the OP talked about the Library viaduct and a little farther down they will add a new section alongside Piney Fork Road. Also work will continue behind the Coraopolis business district to prepare for the final connection on that end in the near future that will pass through the future park at the end of the current trail.

On the Coraopois end these projects will complete the Montour's link to the future Ohio River Trail and Coraopolis/Neville Island.

On the South Park/ Claritin end they still need to complete a few more gaps between Library and Green Man's Tunnel. I have no idea if the current shared use of Peters Creek Road is intended to be permanent. That may have been the original route of the railroad that has just been converted into a road. On the other side of 51, the trail continues but I have no idea how they will ever be able to provide a safe, separated connection to the GAP although I imagine that is on their list of future plans.

Once those projects are complete, probably within the next 5 years, the entire mainline Montour from Clairton to Coraopolis will be complete, with some great new bridges put in place in the past 5 years or so that have made a HUGE difference to users in Washington County.

A connection to Southpointe is also currently in the works and there is an abandoned branch line to the coal patch town of Muse that is on the long term wish list.

And if all that weren't enough they also own the ROW to most if not all of the spur through Bethel. The recent investment in the nice Clifton Rd bridge makes me think they have plans to eventually traverse the industrial park and reach route 88.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:28 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,588,900 times
And if you don't have a bike you can rent one at The Tandem connection in Hendersonville. Really nice people there. They also have snacks, supplies and nice bike shop and a BBQ hut. Sometimes even live music in the summer.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:46 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,695,165 times
The asphalt is very much welcome. The unpaved areas of the Panhandle trail don't hold up well to bike tires and get ruts ..

Old 02-23-2017, 01:26 PM

10 posts, read 10,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
And if you don't have a bike you can rent one at The Tandem connection in Hendersonville. Really nice people there. They also have snacks, supplies and nice bike shop and a BBQ hut. Sometimes even live music in the summer.
Good point. This is one of the few businesses immediately adjacent to the Montour. I purchased a few tubes there to support the local business but wow they were expensive.

The Panhandle has the advantage of actually passing through several towns along its length, and has a trail station located in McDonald. It is very easy to jump off the trail in Oakdale, McDonald, Midway, or Burgettstown to find a place to eat or buy something to drink. Sturgeon and Rennerdale also have a few businesses adjacent to the trail.

I've got several connections that work on the trails and also people that live along the Panhandle and from everything I hear, that asphalt has caused a surge in users over the past year or so along most of its length. Neighbors report seeing an almost steady stream of traffic during the weekends during pleasant weather, when only 2-3 years ago it was a fraction of that.

Honestly these suburban trails are putting the city trails along the rivers to shame lately. The Montour has new projects yearly to add new sections and improve existing ones. The city is finally getting the switchback and the point connection but where are the plans to extend the Ohio River Trail or to extend the Allegheny trails to Lawrenceville and Etna and Sharpsburg? And the plan to connect the Duck Hollow Trail to Hazelwood? It seems like the 3 rivers trail system has really stagnated lately in its progress toward completion, Even the switchback ramp is several years past its original estimated completion date (and construction has yet to begin)

Old 02-24-2017, 11:46 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,695,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElModChupaPollas View Post
It seems like the 3 rivers trail system has really stagnated lately in its progress toward completion, Even the switchback ramp is several years past its original estimated completion date (and construction has yet to begin)
Yes. the ridiculous takeover of the trail along the river in the Strip District by developers is sad. Basically it's been closed for 3-4 years with no sign of reopening anytime soon. That's mayor Peduto for you. A lost cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh