Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 10:23 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,164,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Look, the city is trying to attract more residents. Even convince those of us who are selfish and evil enough to live outside of City limits and who "steal" City services to move to the City so that we can help prop up the tax base.
I know the city (and many cities) are trying to attract young college grads and other new residents, but I am curious about how they are trying to encourage people to move into the city from the suburbs. Would you share some details?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 11:37 AM

110 posts, read 80,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
I know the city (and many cities) are trying to attract young college grads and other new residents, but I am curious about how they are trying to encourage people to move into the city from the suburbs. Would you share some details?
Seconded

Old 07-30-2016, 11:52 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
The two demographics are not mutually exclusive (college grads often come from the burbs as do
'Other new residents') it's not like Pittsburgh is just trying to poach residents from other urban centers exclusively. The attraction comes from offering jobs, amenities & housing that appeals to such persons.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:12 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
The Hamlet hiring certainly doesn't help, for those that have or plan to have children, anyway.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:19 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
Quote:
"Recently hired head of the Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority K. Charles Griffin has withdrawn from the position in the midst of questions surrounding his experience and firing from a similar job in South Carolina, officials said Tuesday."
New PWSA director withdraws amid questions over his resume | TribLIVE

Let's hope a more competent and thorough check is done of the next selectee.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
New PWSA director withdraws amid questions over his resume | TribLIVE

Let's hope a more competent and thorough check is done of the next selectee.
Interesting. Wonder what more there is than what's already known.

That would be helpful.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:12 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
So we manage to successfully drive away a water/sewage executive who lied about quitting when he was really fired, yet we warmly embrace a public education executive who lied about academic improvements at his former district and plagiarized part of his resume? Nice!

Old 08-02-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
So we manage to successfully drive away a water/sewage executive who lied about quitting when he was really fired, yet we warmly embrace a public education executive who lied about academic improvements at his former district and plagiarized part of his resume? Nice!
Other than the majority of the school board members, I don't remember seeing or reading any warm embrace.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:39 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Other than the majority of the school board members, I don't remember seeing or reading any warm embrace.
The fact that nobody is giving Hamlet hell anymore implies to me that people "got over it".

Old 08-02-2016, 02:41 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times
Good luck hiring anyone for a leadership position at a city agency now. My background is clean, and I'd think twice for applying for such a position knowing local reporters will be investigating my past like a vice-presidential candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh